Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Still a dodge.

Why is declaring what class you played primarily in EQ a problem? I mean, I've demonized several classes because they were "and wait for other people to do stuff", but given your knowledge you aren't one of those. What class did you play in everquest that gives you this superiority complex when it comes to MMOs? It's a small thing - just enlighten us.

I think I've hit a nerve. You played a mostly AFK class for all of "classic" EQ, and are afraid to mention it. It's ok buddy; we understand. Almost every person who clamors for a "hardcore mmo" is part of that demographic. The demographic that never actually played EQ, but were involved in a social chat client. It's alright. I actually don't have anything against your kind. I just wish they would stop proclaiming what made everquest.... everquest, without having ever had to play the game.

Come to the light.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Awww yeah, EQ epeen fight! Gonna break out the old school ascii penis for this

8=======D~~~

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 5 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Still a dodge.

Why is declaring what class you played primarily in EQ a problem? I mean, I've demonized several classes because they were "and wait for other people to do stuff", but given your knowledge you aren't one of those. What class did you play in everquest that gives you this superiority complex when it comes to MMOs? It's a small thing - just enlighten us.

I think I've hit a nerve. You played a mostly AFK class for all of "classic" EQ, and are afraid to mention it. It's ok buddy; we understand. Almost every person who clamors for a "hardcore mmo" is part of that demographic. The demographic that never actually played EQ, but were involved in a social chat client. It's alright. I actually don't have anything against your kind. I just wish they would stop proclaiming what made everquest.... everquest, without having ever had to play the game.

Come to the light.
Rezz Darkraven; Rezz Fireheart; Rezz Everblade. Druzzil Ro, prior to whenever we got merged with Xegony.

C'mon Nirgon Nirgon ; what did you play?

My cards are all on the table.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
bluebies cant hit nerves of pvp champs, just gonna keep counter trolling

but I had access to and played tstaff monk (Ketov) from time to time and would have raped you on it

scram

Excidium

Trakanon Raider

but I had access to and played tstaff monk (Ketov) from time to time and would have raped you on it

scram
TStaff? So you bought your gear from the market. AFK player indeed.
I played a Shround Monk on Xev and I never took the game seriously or thought it was good design and did all the raid pulling during the last two years of my time in EQ.

Cybsled

Peasant monks used ninja stars to pull. Chad monks used abashi nerf stick off Vulak for pulls. That thing had insane range, removed buffs, and couldn’t be resisted

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
You nerds know damn well if this game or Pantheon releases, you'll be poop-socking it for 2 months straight on vacation. I will be there too (On PVP if at launch)!

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Don't expect PvP from this game. I know some people commented that the team says they might do it with no support but everything I've heard from them was a strict "no."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Nah. A year or two after WoW launched, and remember trying to go back to EQ1. It felt so antiquated even then

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Don't expect PvP from this game. I know some people commented that the team says they might do it with no support but everything I've heard from them was a strict "no."

Ya they shouldn't do pvp and focus on the core.

The monk I played was someone else is guild. And I raped many, many try hards with it.

I can out pull a lot of monks on my SK alt too, but there's no comparison to monks power in that department.

Let's just be pals and enjoy this game. Hopefully no instances.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Unless you leveled a Troll SK pre SoV you are a peasant...

Carry on.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

scram
Yes, I am a bluebie. You have claimed (false) knowledge of SKs. What did you play? You have also claimed (false) knowledge of monks. The field has narrowed. Were you a ranger? Maybe a bard? Enlighten us.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm a 14 class player, u got no idea who ur talkin to m8

Go take your beef up with the M&M devs. One of whom is a rockstar EQ raider which I can confirm.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I said that I despise what WoW did to the genre, meaning its influence on other projects, which is not the same thing as despising WoW itself. Although I think modern WoW is utter trash, as I said earlier I consider classic WoW to be a very good game (although not superior to EQ) and I played WoW Classic for 5 months or so. WoW was so successful that it made investors fund WoW clones instead of other projects, many of which failed.
The funding for the WoW clones wouldn't even exist in the first place without WoW's success, and would've gone to games in other genres if WoW didn't exist. And if you think about it, it was the success of EQ what made WoW itself possible.

Everyone back in the day who had two braincells to rub together knew that we'd get a lot of WoW clones for a while, because that is how the gaming industry as a whole worked, and still works: look how many "Flappy Bird" and "Vampire Survivors" clones we have, or MOBA or tower defense games. It's inevitable.

Also, there were some MMOs that tried to do things differently to WoW, for example Ryzom. At the end of the day, it was not only the investment money: MMOs that tried to be different failed in part because players were conditioned in their expectations how an MMO worked. But, and here's the big BUT: EverQuest did the same for the genre, and players partially migrated to it, for example because they didn't like the FFA PvP aspect in UO, which then turned into that Trammel/Felucca thing.

Your first reply to my instancing derail (really just meant it to be a semi-joke, sorry for this, I regret the post) was to make cracks about weaponizing autism and working from home, which I did not take to mean you were up for civil discourse. You keep saying that I don't respond with solutions yet I gave you a solution that worked for 7 years on a EQ server with six guilds and zero poopsocking. Our players hate poopsocking as much as anybody.
That was a jab at Nirgon, who replied that he has no problems with camping for hours because he works from home in another thread. Also, I can't find you solution, so could you please link me to your post with it?

OK then, I'll attribute your last reply to reading comprehension and not ignorance, sorry. I probably just presumed a younger age from your avatar
No, I freely admit that I just skim most of the postings, because frankly I have read the same arguments again and again. It's like talking to a circlejerking hivemind at this point, which is what those threads usually degenerate into. Of course you think I'm the asshole here, because I poke people and ask questions about things they take for granted, or even worse: holy scripture.

If making MMORPGs is so easy nowadays, then where are they? The entire MMOG space seems barren, yet the EQ emu space has plenty of development.
There are a lot, but you probably never heard of them because what most people underestimate is marketing/publishing. And most games on the indie side also fizzle out after a time. There are however some games that make it even to Steam, for example Project Gorgon that I linked. Then there's Albion, who also made it to Steam.

Another point to think about: Survival games are basically another evolution on MMO games. Things like Ark, Rust or V Rising basically take the MMO formula to a smaller level.

As for the EQ based games: Most EQ emu games have the benefit of an existing playerbase, and don't need as much marketing. Most emu games are also linked directly on the login server.

You could even just rent the Hero Engine and make an MMO, just look at the "Spotlight Games Currently in Development" on this page:

I absolutely love the old Diku MUD days where any rando could download it and start up a server and just modify it to make a custom game.
Excursion time: Back in the days there was a divide in the MUD playerbase between DikuMUD and the more roleplaying-oriented MUDs, mostly based on LPmud. DikuMUD was derided as "stupid hack&slay game for munchkins".

So, as you can see, the playerbase of a specific genre fighting against each other is as old as it gets.

But from what I've seen we're not there yet for 3D. Admittedly I have not checked it out for several years but every RPG kit or whatever I looked at was woefully lacking. For years I've said that I wanted somebody to start a go-fund-me or whatever to just fund artists to make a public domain generic MMORPG art asset library so we could have Diku 3D. Partly why I work on emus is so people can make custom servers with it.

I've heard of Gorgon and checked out the website years ago but never played. It just wasn't complete enough at the time and I never relooked at it. Maybe I will again later. Gorgon is at least a decade in the making though, so it wasn't so turn-key for them. I wish them success.
No, but many attempts were made. For example, with the success of WoW Sun MIcrosystems tried to establish Java as a server-side language and wanted to create a turnkey server solution architecture for MMO games. Nowadays all mentions of it were scrubbed from the Web, especially after Oracle bought them.

It's also not that nobody tried it, it's just that development is spread far and thin. If you look at GitHub there are a lot of MMO servers. Of course a lot of them for WoW, but there are some others: Build software better, together

The biggest problem I see, is that for an MMO to work you need a lot of specific skillsets. The most important one you need at the beginning, is a server developer for the persistence and data management, and the server architecture + netcode. If you fuck that up you just end up with exploits down the line. Most experienced developers who have experience in that field easily make six figures on the job market, so why would they waste their time away on some hobby project? This is basically where Pantheon fails.

The other elephant in the room: For something as big as a world (and for an MMO you can't go smaller than "world"), you need to make development as easy as possible, and as interactive as possible, even for people who are not technically savy or want to write code. This also includes making development for many people at the same time possible. Basically, you need an "MMO, but as a development game".

This is an entirely different conversation but another problem with these types of games is that joining them late after launch results in a much worse experience for the player for a number of reasons, which is generally why launches are crowded then servers start to die out. This is very bad for indie games that don't have an answer for it. Generally it's better to complete a game then hype it up a lot instead of slow drip.
Depends if you can establish a viable core playerbase and grow from there. But, as I said earlier, the "generating hype" thing is solely on marketing, and for indies, especially ones without a publisher, this is a really huge obstacle.

Pantheon solely exists because Brad McQuaid was an established name in the MMO genre, and M&M only exists in this form because Shawn is ex-SOE, has Twitch+Youtube channels and interviewed SOE folk about the history of EverQuest. If he wasn't already known, then this thread may not even exist.

The other problem is the locust swarm mentality of the playerbase. Basically, you need to be able to grow and shrink at the drop of a hat. Many attempts in this regard were made, but it boils down to sharding, layering, instancing. UO invented shading as a stop-gap solution and wanted to do away with it long-term, but never solved the problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Very weird. It's as if there aren't any Care Bear MMOs out there to cater to anti-socialites that don't want to play the game.
It's funny to me that you use the term "Care Bear" as an insult for your "anti-socialites" argument, when it was a term used by us EQ players on PvP servers to refer to the population of bluebie servers.

Also, trust me, the "anti-socialites" will find a way. The most obvious is multiboxing.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The growing / shrinking is the hardest bit. Usually there is unanticipated demand followed by blind panic followed by soul selling for capacity.

Artificial load testing never seems to cut it.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Go play FF14, seriously :)

It has everything you want.

We want one thing in the last 17 years.