Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Let me stop you right there. Taking Blizzard's word for ANYTHING they call "innovative" is the height of naitivity. C'mon man. Do better.

We aren't telling you people won't play it. People obviously play P99, TAKP, etc. What we are telling you is that these games aren't COMMERCIALLY VIABLE. When they stop being passion projects and start being companies with investors that demand a certain ROI, the concepts die. REPEATEDLY.
Regardless of whether something very similar was done before, was the term 'layering' used prior to WoW Classic? Anyway, layering is strongly associated with WoW nowadays and that is all that matters for the point I was making, which was not even very relevant point to the discussion to begin with. Nobody cares who invented it. Naturally I'm not going to be an authority on the technology when I've made it clear that I would avoid games that employ it. But if Omar lied then shame on him I guess.

The entire point of this project is to make the game in spite of it supposedly 'not being commercially viable' or perhaps to test the assertion. A lot of crow was eaten when WoW Classic launched.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
all your "copy" dungeons to allow for equal content access are equally accessible
I'd like to point out that in classic EQ design travel is "meaningful", and only wizards/druids have access to quick ports. So don't neglect the accessible part and its implications:

Making equivalent content accessible everywhere around the game world also split the server population along those lines: If everything is basically around the corner, why even venture into the wider world? Especially when you know the players around you.

For example, EQ2 removed the separate starting areas for each race because of that. Friends/groups trying to start the game at the same time were forced to choose the same race, which was one of the pain points of EQ design.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Can you faggots on the anti-instancing train shutup about WoW?

View attachment 435007
EQ had instanced content before WoW.

Quit being faggots about it - your sacred cow broke your trust before your whipping boy even released.

E etchazz

You're basically asking a development group to create 3x the content (with similar rewards) for what could effectively be achieved by creating it once and using instances of that dungeon. What sane company makes decisions like that? When the -only- target is making sure there is enough content to go around? Do you realize how stupid that idea sounds when floated towards anyone who is involved in the design process?

"Yes, I'd love for our effort to result in 1/3 the populace -maybe- coming here. We also assume that all things will be equally accessible and equal in both reward and required effort to reach. You know, effectively cloning our work twice, but requiring 3x the manpower to do it. Vs. uh... using the same content, and instancing which costs 0 extra hours/effort sans setting up the instancing engine, which is infinitely easier than creating several dungeons of varying layout/aesthetics/boss but effectively having them shit out the same rewards."

"3x the art assets; 3x the design assets; 3x the server requirements, for what could be solved with 1x of each and saleable instance technology, which we can use repeatedly over and over, while our unique art assets/design assets/servers will need to be replicated in triplicate every time we release any type of content."

Do you create 3x the content each time any new content is released? Are all raid encounters required to be developed in triplicate? You -do- realize that just going "and then multiply by 3" means that all development time is going to take 3x as long, for all content, yeah? And that you have to pay these people for that time discrepancy?

But yes, a tiny indie studio is definitely going to do 3x the work for 1x the payoff, because... reasons?

And I'll explain:

Unless all your "copy" dungeons to allow for equal content access are equally accessible, and the loot is equal, and the time spent getting/playing there is equal, you're going to have favorites. And then you're back in the same spot you are with how EQ camping worked. If they are equal, and equally accessible? Then why wouldn't you use some instancing technology? Your content is effectively cloned anyway at that point, but you're hiring 3x the people to make it happen. It's a nonsensical argument, and always has been.

That's desecrated EQ. Classic through Velious or fuck off.

Making the trek and getting the bind somewhere obscure is part of choosing a hulking evil race. Immersion is a lost art.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Yes I despise what WoW did to the genre. The entire genre is on life support because of that game.
You despise WoW, yet you go around and watch Youtube videos about WoW Classic.

At this point you're the same as a social justice warrior, endlessly triggered, always looking to be offended. But you are "fighting for what is good", which justifies it in your eyes. Your whole posts reeks of emotional investment and tribalism.

That's why I find it annoying when people come into this thread and tell us that EQ's design should not be replicated because it's a game nobody would play when the entire purpose of M&MEMORIES is to replicate EQ's basic design.
That is not what has happened in this thread. Go read the thread again. I wasn't even the one who brought up instancing, I just said that the alternatives to instancing have their downsides as well.

We could've had some interesting debate and ideas thrown around, about how a game in the vein of "classic MMO design" could try to alleviate the pain points instancing initially tried to solve. But of course there's always people like you, who see it as a personal insult to the holy church of EverQuest they believe in, as if it's some infallible god.

Games existed before 3d cards were required to play them, guy. Making text based or 2d games, which is what I was comparing modern games to, is much easier than making games today in Unity.
Why are you calling me "guy", do you have a front hole or something? Also, I know those text based games, my first access to them was on the VAX at my father's company in the 80s. That's also where I learned vi. I know more about the history of gaming as you, because I was there.

Those text based games weren't as easy to make as you make it out to be. You had to know a modicum of CS to pull it off. Should I post the source code for Zork, and you will then explain how it all works and how easy it all was?

Also, about making those games in Unity: You can literally buy a whole RPG set for Unity that has the bones for a working game. There are countless tutorials for it, while in the "good old days" you had to find most of the things out yourself:

Furthermore Unity and Unreal engine have limitations that prevent developers from doing certain things, particularly large seamless open worlds with hundreds of players because they were designed with shooters in mind first. (I suppose that may be slowly changing) Vanguard was clunky in large part due to these limitations. But obviously it's a good thing that engines are more accessible nowadays.
Vanguard was Unreal Engine 2, and Unreal Engine 3 fixed a lot of the problems. Vanguard had to resort to hacking the engine to make an open world, and then couldn't migrate the project easily to UE3.

Literally right now Ashes of Creation tries to make an open world game, and they started with Unreal Engine 4. We have Twitch footage of multiple streamers about how seamless the open world worked, so any of your points just scream "uninformed."

Regardless the biggest obstacle to making hobby 3d games is the art and world building, because it's a lot easier to find coders willing to work for free than artists and usually you need a lot more artists.
I'll tell you a little secret about artists, whether they are doing 2D or 3D art, music or anything else creatively: It's all about the project, and project management.

They don't mind working for not a lot of money, sometimes even free--but they want to feel valued, and want their art to be appreciated. They want to see the realistic chance that there's something at the end that is tangible and released. There's an endless stream of assholes around the world that see talented artists and want their work for free. This makes artists cautious, and In the end, they have to believe that this project will work out, and not be a giant waste of time.

It's easier to convey what you want to do if you have a working prototype with placeholder graphics. It's easier to convey what it should look like when you have congruent concept art. Basically, you need a foundation to build upon. Pan'theon is a joke because they have neither: They have restarted development three times, so their credibility is low, and they have concept art that is all over the place. In short: They have no vision, and they fight amongst each other.

Have you ever heard of Project Gorgon? It's an indy MMO made by a team of ... husband and wife, basically. It doesn't even look bad. In fact, I'd say it looks better than Pantheon at the moment:

• 1Faggotry

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think a lot could be sussed out if people post their classes that they played in EQ. A lot of the dynamic of EQ is what class you played in the chatroom; there were only a couple of classes (especially during launch > SOV) that actually "played" the game.

Nirgon Nirgon E etchazz What classes did you play during live EQ between release and SOV? Since those are the "hardcore" expansions. I played a raiding SK that pulled alongside monks for raids, as well as both pulled/tanked for almost every group ever. I actually played the game.

What did you kids play? I'm going to shit on your parade preemptively - If you played any DPS class that waited for mobs to get to the group? You were playing a chat client with graphics. If you were playing a healer that waited for mobs to get to the group? You were playing a chat client. If you were a tank who was waiting on mobs to get to the group? You were playing a chat client. If you were playing an enchanter? Eh, depending on situation, you were either playing a game or playing a chat client.

I think the vast majority of people who played during "hardcore days" in the MMO sphere were playing a chat client and pretending they were contributing. And I think our posters in this thread follow that methodology.

Plz, educate me if I am wrong.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
You despise WoW, yet you go around and watch Youtube videos about WoW Classic.
I said that I despise what WoW did to the genre, meaning its influence on other projects, which is not the same thing as despising WoW itself. Although I think modern WoW is utter trash, as I said earlier I consider classic WoW to be a very good game (although not superior to EQ) and I played WoW Classic for 5 months or so. WoW was so successful that it made investors fund WoW clones instead of other projects, many of which failed. Which is ironic when they're supposedly 'commercially viable'. These failures made VCs abandon the entire MMORPG sector. Games have to be relatively distinct otherwise people will just choose the best one and ignore the rest. Which is why building niche games is smarter than cloning the most popular thing.

We could've had some interesting debate and ideas thrown around, about how a game in the vein of "classic MMO design" could try to alleviate the pain points instancing initially tried to solve. But of course there's always people like you, who see it as a personal insult to the holy church of EverQuest they believe in, as if it's some infallible god.
Your first reply to my instancing derail (really just meant it to be a semi-joke, sorry for this, I regret the post) was to make cracks about weaponizing autism and working from home, which I did not take to mean you were up for civil discourse. You keep saying that I don't respond with solutions yet I gave you a solution that worked for 7 years on a EQ server with six guilds and zero poopsocking. Our players hate poopsocking as much as anybody.

Also, I know those text based games, my first access to them was on the VAX at my father's company in the 80s. That's also where I learned vi. I know more about the history of gaming as you, because I was there.

OK then, I'll attribute your last reply to reading comprehension and not ignorance, sorry. I probably just presumed a younger age from your avatar

If making MMORPGs is so easy nowadays, then where are they? The entire MMOG space seems barren, yet the EQ emu space has plenty of development. I absolutely love the old Diku MUD days where any rando could download it and start up a server and just modify it to make a custom game. (granted hosting was an issue) But from what I've seen we're not there yet for 3D. Admittedly I have not checked it out for several years but every RPG kit or whatever I looked at was woefully lacking. For years I've said that I wanted somebody to start a go-fund-me or whatever to just fund artists to make a public domain generic MMORPG art asset library so we could have Diku 3D. Partly why I work on emus is so people can make custom servers with it.

I've heard of Gorgon and checked out the website years ago but never played. It just wasn't complete enough at the time and I never relooked at it. Maybe I will again later. Gorgon is at least a decade in the making though, so it wasn't so turn-key for them. I wish them success.

This is an entirely different conversation but another problem with these types of games is that joining them late after launch results in a much worse experience for the player for a number of reasons, which is generally why launches are crowded then servers start to die out. This is very bad for indie games that don't have an answer for it. Generally it's better to complete a game then hype it up a lot instead of slow drip.

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
M&M will be an EQ-style game and people just need to get over it. If you don't like that, don't play. Stop acting as if you have the right to change a game based on your likings. The developers will do what they please and there is nothing wrong with that.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I think a lot could be sussed out if people post their classes that they played in EQ. A lot of the dynamic of EQ is what class you played in the chatroom; there were only a couple of classes (especially during launch > SOV) that actually "played" the game.

Nirgon Nirgon E etchazz What classes did you play during live EQ between release and SOV? Since those are the "hardcore" expansions. I played a raiding SK that pulled alongside monks for raids, as well as both pulled/tanked for almost every group ever. I actually played the game.

What did you kids play? I'm going to shit on your parade preemptively - If you played any DPS class that waited for mobs to get to the group? You were playing a chat client with graphics. If you were playing a healer that waited for mobs to get to the group? You were playing a chat client. If you were a tank who was waiting on mobs to get to the group? You were playing a chat client. If you were playing an enchanter? Eh, depending on situation, you were either playing a game or playing a chat client.

I think the vast majority of people who played during "hardcore days" in the MMO sphere were playing a chat client and pretending they were contributing. And I think our posters in this thread follow that methodology.

Plz, educate me if I am wrong.

SK is turbo trash compared to monk for pulling, which there usually were many of. Nothing grinds my gears like a "DPS monk" that never pulls. Which is I'm sure how you ended up in that position.

I played a pvp server, so anyone not on RZ is an ezmode care bear to me :)

Last edited:

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to point out that in classic EQ design travel is "meaningful", and only wizards/druids have access to quick ports. So don't neglect the accessible part and its implications:

Making equivalent content accessible everywhere around the game world also split the server population along those lines: If everything is basically around the corner, why even venture into the wider world? Especially when you know the players around you.

For example, EQ2 removed the separate starting areas for each race because of that. Friends/groups trying to start the game at the same time were forced to choose the same race, which was one of the pain points of EQ design.
I think it's important to note that early on separate starting areas and difficult travel turned out to be a benefit. People were forced to play with other people often making up the start of some guilds. In addition finally seeing your buddy was kind of cool since the equipment etc was different, even if it was basically doing a similar job. No familiarity with other classes was also cool.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
M&M will be an EQ-style game and people just need to get over it. If you don't like that, don't play. Stop acting as if you have the right to change a game based on your likings. The developers will do what they please and there is nothing wrong with that.

Kinda weird isnt it, seeing the oh noes reactions

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
EQ was part anti-social game depending on what class you played.

The flexibility to make those decisions to group (if your class could) and play the game the way you wanted was a big factor of why the design was appreciated many years later.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
SK is turbo trash compared to monk for pulling, which there usually were many of. Nothing grinds my gears like a "DPS monk" that never pulls. Which is I'm sure how you ended up in that position.

No class designation. Confirmed chat client player. I can absolutely guarantee I know more about the mechanics of the game than you do, because I actually played the game. You, clearly, did not.

ANYWAY.

Game seems interesting - I like what I see, just wish it didn't 100% ape EQ for all text messages and style. Do some crazy stuff!

Cybsled

Anyway, layering is strongly associated with WoW nowadays and that is all that matters for the point I was making

City of Heroes used to create new instances of zones when they got too crowded.

There was an odd period between velious and pop where they had nerfed fd pulling a bit and SK had some attributes in their kit that let them pull certain things

Or maybe that was just Xate being stubborn and making that up and wanting to pull, so I got benched for the most part. I also never got holgresh elder beads to drop, so that didn’t help since those were god tier for pulling stuff out of los

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
No class designation. Confirmed chat client player. I can absolutely guarantee I know more about the mechanics of the game than you do, because I actually played the game. You, clearly, did not.

ANYWAY.

Game seems interesting - I like what I see, just wish it didn't 100% ape EQ for all text messages and style. Do some crazy stuff!

Alright there bud. I don't blame ya for not playing the scary item loot server. Take it out on your DPS monks and not me, pls.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll settle this immediately. SKs had armor and could hit warrior tank level reduction of damage on hit. Then they gave us Death Peace at 60 in velious. So you could generate tremendous aggro up front (monks could toss ninja stars like faggots) even if resisted with a darkness cast. You could effectively drop like a monk (with a much smaller cooldown) and then when a warrior taunted off (warrior taunt was top aggro+1; that's it) your DPS could go batshit and there was already a lot of aggro generated before they hit attack.

Nirgon Nirgon ever heard of Disease Cloud? Nerfed later (Luclin, spears, etc) but through SoV it was legit the strongest aggro that wasn't rooting a target and only having the tank nearby. You clearly did not play the same game the rest of us did.

Also: Another dodge.

Chat client player.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya I played the pvp server with item loot. I'm not contesting we had very different experiences. Those monks you had musta been worm scum. They don't think about the ripple effect of their actions.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Still not mentioning your class.

Chat client player.

I'm mostly fucking with you, because you have generated the "hardcore mmo" persona. PVP is awesome! What class did you play? Were you active during standard gameplay, or were you in a chat client?