Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I wonder if they can use AI to speed up asset creation?
From what I have seen, they're intentionally avoided doing so, so that the world can feel like the 'hand-drawn 80s D&D manuals' that the game's aesthetic is going for.

For M&M's team, it doesn't appear to be about getting to the finish line quickly. Their focus is on making sure the game looks, feels, plays, and is fun to their niche audience, rather than having mass appeal and appealing to no one.

They've intentionally kept some things not user friendly (ie; no maps, /look command that tells you about your surroundings, etc) so that the world feels more immersive and more like a 1980's MUD than a true modern MMO, while having the game look acceptable art-wise by the 2022 standards (ie; hand-painted artstyle but modern rendering techniques)

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Groove

Trakanon Raider

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
One of these days I'm actually going to know someone to get in on these tests.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
One of these days I'm actually going to know someone to get in on these tests.
I can say the game is shaping up to be one of the best MMOs I've played in a long while, and it's not even fully whiteboxed yet.

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 11 users

Groove

Trakanon Raider

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I totally see some of you playing this with shaky hands in a retirement home. Half of your raid wiped standing on red circle because you forgot your reading glasses.

"We are waiting on Mike, he forgot to take his pill"
"Bob went to the toilet the 2nd time in 5mins"

It's gonna be hilarious.

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 8 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
None of these games are going to take 30 years to make bruv. Maybe Project Monsters and Memories tho.

We better start testing and recording asap for the dank emulator scene and it's lobbying for fixes/changes.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
I totally see some of you playing this with shaky hands in a retirement home. Half of your raid wiped standing on red circle because you forgot your reading glasses.

"We are waiting on Mike, he forgot to take his pill"
"Bob went to the toilet the 2nd time in 5mins"

It's gonna be hilarious.

And just like in 99' I will be wearing a diaper.

Can't wait.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They better not include any in/out-game map at the beginning. Lore is all we need.
Mini-maps and shit are dumb, but a "general" overland map is definitely needed. Not something that gives you an inch-by-inch map, but just a general, "X zone connects to Y zone".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
They’ve stated many times that they won’t have in game maps or a mini map. They’d like to offer a cloth map as swag, but obviously that’s a ways off.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
They’ve stated many times that they won’t have in game maps or a mini map. They’d like to offer a cloth map as swag, but obviously that’s a ways off.

That's was my understanding as well; hopefully they stick to their guns.

If they decide to have an in game I really hope they do a fog of war, with a very small discovery radius, so we at least have a sense of discovery.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Mini-maps and shit are dumb, but a "general" overland map is definitely needed. Not something that gives you an inch-by-inch map, but just a general, "X zone connects to Y zone".

I really liked the way Embers Adrift did it: you have a map in each zone that shows basic geography and major points of interest (like towns and ruins) but there's no player cursor so you have to use your surroundings to figure out where you are. There's also no compass but there's a giant blue planet in the sky which is always to the north that you can use to figure out what direction you need to go (except on cloudy days/nights when the planet is obscured).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users