Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
1678136786192.png

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
The zone they are working on feels like the child of Freeport + Maj'Dul.
Pretty much. It felt very much more like Freeport than Maj'Dul though when I was running around.

I am really glad they're making forward, steady progress that they can tangibly show off. It's awesome.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Giant fucking omega cities like that are a fucking chore in MMOs. There's a reason nobody really hung out in Stormwind or Ogrimmar until they added flying mounts.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Giant fucking omega cities like that are a fucking chore in MMOs. There's a reason nobody really hung out in Stormwind or Ogrimmar until they added flying mounts.
Was that true for your server? When I played in classic Orgrimmar was the hub city for Horde on Firetree.

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Shawn has talked a lot about having gameplay reasons to come to and stay in the cities. But yeah, I doubt their other cities will be this large.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Was that true for your server? When I played in classic Orgrimmar was the hub city for Horde on Firetree.
Ironforge and Undercity were both the main "hubs" in classic for both of the servers I played on. It wasn't until they added flying in the old world (Cata, I think?) that the big ass cities became the hubs.

Giant cities are always a failure in MMOs and a complete waste of dev time. It's cool for a couple screenshots the first time or two you see it, but after a while, I just want to bank and/or use the AH. And if that is a 20 minute slog every fucking time I head into town? Players will check out fast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Their plan iirc is to actually have alot of content in the cities themselves. Good places for players with certain factions to do some grinding, as well as a whole sewer system, than is actually more than just a place for the evils to sneak into the city. I would love to see a Waterdeep style undercity, something like a U/LGuk right under town.

But yeah, big cities are usually kind of a waste.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Ridiculously large buildings is a pet peeve of mine as well. I liked classic EQ's more cramped cities, which were more immersive, realistic and charming to me. Also it forces players to be closer together which makes the game feel more multiplayer. I understand that third person cameras sort of require larger buildings but I'd just assume force a first person perspective as well. Of course I don't expect any game to actually do that for reasons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I believe the city they're currently working on is supposed to be a major hub city - not a racial starting city. I think the racial starting areas are suppose to be significantly smaller, with a few of these larger hubs in the game(I haven't seen a lot of streams in the last few months so I could be wrong now). I never really thought about large cities being a waste, but that does make sense looking back at a lot of MMOs I've played over the years. The city they're working on looks really cool so hopefully they find reasons to keep players in it beyond buy/sell/buffs/bank/tradeskills.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Theres a difference between ridiculously large buildings and ridiculously large cities. WoW had over the top ridiculously large buildings but that matches its aesthetic, you need gates that large to fit through with shoulderpads like that. All the cities though were all pretty small. EQ1 had small cities with realistic sized buildings for the most part.

Shit like eq2 and vanguard is where we started seeing ridiculously oversized buildings in ridiculously oversized cities.

Hop on the vanguard emulator and get lost in some of those cities, jesus fucking christ talk about waste of space.

"Yeah heres some ruins and shit of a city with walls the size, height and thickness, of the great pyramids of egypt."
"Wait, ruins? How did the city fall? Walls were too large to maintain im guessing"
"No they were besieged by..."
"Gonna stop you right there. Unless the next word is dragons, they werent besieged by shit. 500 foot thick 500 foot high walls around this city, how the fuck you getting besieged?

Also since there are dragons in this world why the fuck would you ever build structures like this?"

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Theres a difference between ridiculously large buildings and ridiculously large cities. WoW had over the top ridiculously large buildings but that matches its aesthetic, you need gates that large to fit through with shoulderpads like that. All the cities though were all pretty small. EQ1 had small cities with realistic sized buildings for the most part.

Shit like eq2 and vanguard is where we started seeing ridiculously oversized buildings in ridiculously oversized cities.

Hop on the vanguard emulator and get lost in some of those cities, jesus fucking christ talk about waste of space.

"Yeah heres some ruins and shit of a city with walls the size, height and thickness, of the great pyramids of egypt."
"Wait, ruins? How did the city fall? Walls were too large to maintain im guessing"
"No they were besieged by..."
"Gonna stop you right there. Unless the next word is dragons, they werent besieged by shit. 500 foot thick 500 foot high walls around this city, how the fuck you getting besieged?

Also since there are dragons in this world why the fuck would you ever build structures like this?"
Yeah vanguards giant city on Thestra was a shit design. Vendors and quest people you actually needed were buried in deep and confusing areas. I don’t mind big cities but the important places you actually need to get to need to be easily accessible. The big desert city was a better design, it had paths in and out of the ring, and all the stuff you needed was in the ring.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Katta Castellum is the first example in my head. Katta was so dumb that the zone acted like a barrier in that if you wanted to access the zones on either side then you would not consider taking a route which had you run through the city. The aesthetic was fine but the size was ridiculous.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Their plan iirc is to actually have alot of content in the cities themselves. Good places for players with certain factions to do some grinding, as well as a whole sewer system, than is actually more than just a place for the evils to sneak into the city. I would love to see a Waterdeep style undercity, something like a U/LGuk right under town.
In other words, it's going to fucking suck and players will avoid it like the plague if they can help it.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

forehead

Trakanon Raider
If you’re afraid of a big city wait until you find out merchants are picky about what vendor trash they’ll buy off you.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

That probably has more to do with the change from 1st to 3rd person as the default means of interacting with the game world. When you're in 3rd person, you now have to account for the elevated camera following the player around, which requires larger indoor spaces lest you run into camera clipping, obscured characters, or other issues in that vein.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Katta Castellum is the first example in my head. Katta was so dumb that the zone acted like a barrier in that if you wanted to access the zones on either side then you would not consider taking a route which had you run through the city. The aesthetic was fine but the size was ridiculous.
Seru was even worse and neither city had much reason to go there. I feel like the intention was to make them more useful than they turned out to be.

Cybsled

Luclin zone size was basically "hey guys, we have mounts now! Imagine if you had a mount...you could cross this more quickly!"

Until you could afford a horse, you had to deal with zones designed to assume you had a horse