Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm pro-instancing for raiding. I have job aka I have to work. I can't raid 24/7 like I could back in the day. Fuck that shit. It may be what ultimately kills my interest in this game if it's 24/7 raiding for end game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm pro-instancing for raiding. I have job aka I have to work. I can't raid 24/7 like I could back in the day. Fuck that shit. It may be what ultimately kills my interest in this game if it's 24/7 raiding for end game.

Not a popular take on here, but I'm pro pvp for raiding. Fuck calendars and waiting lists- take what you can take. Of course, like you, I would probably never be able to actually participate in a competitive guild because I lack playtime, but still...

• 4Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Just make the raids you can and share your wisdom.

They have particles, you might reconsider

unknown-774.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
On the other hand it may not be popular enough for there to be a ton of competition. IIRC they also have said their endgame will be focused on grouping and not raiding.

Araxen

On the other hand it may not be popular enough for there to be a ton of competition. IIRC they also have said their endgame will be focused on grouping and not raiding.
It depends on when it will release I feel. If it's before Riot's MMO, they'll get a decent look at by the MMO community at large. It's a very starved genre. New World is a shit MMO, and it got a ton of unworthy hype(by peeps here no less). A bunch of people tried that game out. If this game is released after the Riot's MMO, then yeah I doubt people give it too much of a look outside of the niche they are going for.

It's nice to hear they are focusing more towards grouping than raiding. I've felt raiding should take a major backseat, and grouping should be a hard focus for MMO's.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Despite Shawn kinda being the person responsible for instancing being introduced to EQ, I believe he has said many times on stream that MnM will not have instancing.

unrelated video

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Just to clarify here: I said their team has enough people with experience in the realm of classic MMOs, and different solutions can be applied to different games and that their team understands what works best in the game they're making.

I never said MnM was pro-instancing, but they have enough experience to know when it's appropriate - and when open-world interactions can be healthy for a game like this, too.

• 1Like

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
First I heard any instancing, guess we wait and see what announcements come along
ALovingRobot was the lead designer for LDoN, so he sees the value of instancing in certain situations for sure. He said he based the original concept off the solo instance dungeons in Anarchy Online. That being said, I don't believe instancing is in the current plans for MnM.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Despite Shawn kinda being the person responsible for instancing being introduced to EQ, I believe he has said many times on stream that MnM will not have instancing.

unrelated video

Haven’t seen a train that big since Utnayan Utnayan ‘s mom at the SOE afterparty in 1999.

• 5Worf
  • 2Double Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Shawn went over the poll results on his stream this morning. Here are the top picks for each class.

Archer - Wood Elf Female 26%
Bard - Human Male 25%
Beastmaster - Troll Male 28%
Cleric - Dwarf Male 20%
Druid - Wood Elf Female 24%
Elementalist - Gnome Male 16%
Enchanter - High Elf Female 20%
Fighter - Ogre Male 29%
Inquisitor - Deep Elf Female / High Elf Male 16%
Monk - Human Male - 47%
Necromancer - Deep Elf Male 21%
Paladin - Dwarf Male 24%
Ranger - Wood Elf Male 38%
Rogue - Halfling Male 21%
Shadow Knight - Ogre Male 25%
Shaman - Troll Female 17%
Spellblade - High Elf Female 18%
Wizard - High Elf Male 18%

edit: official results in PDF form

Last edited:
  • 2Like

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
classic EQ and WoW (a little differently) hit the good race vs bad race thing great imo... hope they do something similar here

EQ had great interoperability between the good and bad races that balanced it out... WoW had good distinction boundaries

• 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
classic EQ and WoW (a little differently) hit the good race vs bad race thing great imo... hope they do something similar here

EQ had great interoperability between the good and bad races that balanced it out... WoW had good distinction boundaries
I mean for better or worse they are basically copying EQ. I’m surprised they haven’t announced a race of lizard men called “Iskar” yet.

Araxen

Personally, I'd like a little more complexity instead of the good old good vs evil trope. Things are far more interesting when factions aren't so cut and dry.

Last edited:

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
On his stream yesterday Shawn made a comment about a lizard race and how they don't have one...yet. And Shawn has made comments about how the gray in between good and evil makes things more interesting. I've yet to hear them say anything I don't like.

• 1Like

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I mean for better or worse they are basically copying EQ.
copying the best game ever is a good thing

WoW has a bajillion clones. People who preferred WoW's solutions have plenty of options. Give me my EQ clone and take my money

• 5Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
200+ people poop socking boss spawns is even more cancer so ya...
There is a target audience that is trying to weaponize both their autism as well as their flexible schedule.

I think they call it "work from home" these days.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like