Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
22,014
19,485
i think it ends up closer to 13k by Thursday
That isn't much better.

You're likely going to need 25k or more to really be able to "back pay" and then also generate enough revenue to start pumping out content while paying salaries, server costs, legal teams, GMs/Customer Service teams, etc.
 
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
418
272
The bigger issue is people who pay have actual expectations the team is going to have to deliver on. Even a pay for play EA (again, Pantheon did this same shit). They are going to have to get roadmaps out and actually deliver on them in the timeframes they lay out. Fail to deliver? Goodbye subs. Fail to communicate? Goodbye subs. Fail to address the glaring problems you made with bad design decisions? Goodbye subs.

I hope they can pull it off, because I like having fun MMOs to play. But I am not going to get into this until it has proven itself. The hype train with no follow through is a tiresome pattern in this industry.

Keep in mind that whatever their sub count is for EA launch is likely as high as it ever gets. Very, very few MMOs grow their player base after launch, especially in 2026.

i agree with these takes...

EA launch on an MMO is a dumb idea... i get they need money, but for any other reason its dumb. because you will have the hard core people burn out before they even get relevant content out to them... so they'll come back periodically but will not be captured. and if that roadmap doesnt deliver then even worse. imagine being a newb when the game really launches; everyonw who plays mmo's know its retarded to start an mmo year after everyone been grinding their plat.

its just like eq legends... hard core people are done, and EQL is sprinkling in lower end content, useless for player retention...
 

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,234
20,186
i agree with these takes...

EA launch on an MMO is a dumb idea... i get they need money, but for any other reason its dumb. because you will have the hard core people burn out before they even get relevant content out to them... so they'll come back periodically but will not be captured. and if that roadmap doesnt deliver then even worse. imagine being a newb when the game really launches; everyonw who plays mmo's know its retarded to start an mmo year after everyone been grinding their plat.

its just like eq legends... hard core people are done, and EQL is sprinkling in lower end content, useless for player retention...
From what I heard the servers launching on EA will remain after EA, but 1.0 is launching with new servers so new people aren't forced into alreDy stable servers
 

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
1,623
1,711
Biggest point of failure is always the content cycle. If they aren't substantially adding to the grind over every 6 month period then it won't hold. This is my biggest point of skepticism with any MMO. I hope they can meet that cadence.
 

nunny

Golden Knight of the Realm
12
7
People chew through content and expect more almost immediately these days. Even 1.5 month patch cycle for FFXIV gets people up in arms. I remember back in WoW, waiting years for any kind of updates, it was brutal... Battlegrounds weren't THAT good. If I'm out of things to do, my attention span won't hold for half a year anymore. Too many options, too many distractions. The things holding me to the game currently are paper thin anyway, so it would only take a light breeze to make me unsub, but I'm still going to enjoy the launch. I hope the next attempt at this kind of thing (assuming we get any) will have a bit more modern take on the genre, chat bubbles, combat text, quest dialogue boxes, no weird additions like MUD action commands, not TOO low poly, enjoyable combat, etc. I think things like death mattering, player roles mattering, the world feeling dangerous, night being dark, dungeons being dark, etc, are all great, but adding the extra jank is where they messed up. They didn't take enough from classic WoW imo. In many ways it was a vastly superior game to EQ. One thing MnM has that other mmorpgs don't is the feeling of being useful. You can find a corpse, you can port people when travel takes hours, you can rez someone and save them hours of grinding, you can buff a newbie and they'll go from painfully slow leveling to sanic speed, etc. In a game like FFXIV, your class literally does not matter. You just press your buttons a bit differently. World is not dangerous, it's a joke. I couldn't even tell you how most of the dungeons connect to the overworld anymore since you port to everything immediately. I think MnM nailed that aspect and at least a few others, but completely dropped the ball at the same time.

Ultimately, there are just too many different moving parts going into an MMORPG and I'll never get the game I'm imagining in my head, so I'll just enjoy the launch and then move on when I get tired of it then wait for the next one.
 

Pasteton

Vyemm Raider
3,421
2,609
Alright which one of you is this
IMG_7637.png