Mortal Kombat (2021)

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It should feel weird....he is not the hero of MK and never has been. He's part of the good guys' team. Why can you not leave an iconic character in and have him be part of the good guy team? These people are fucking delusional.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

As long as they use him well later on, it’s fine. I’d rather they not overstuff the film. As is, we don’t know how much development the current roster is going to get and the trailer shows they have a lot of characters, so it’s already going to be thin I imagine

Scorpion
Sub zero
Sonya
Jax
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Raiden
Shang Tsung
Goro
Kano
Mileena
Maybe Cabal and Reptile/Barraka? Quick cut shows some maybes for them getting killed
Shao Khan maybe (we saw the statue)

Plus you have new guy Cole taking up screentime

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
See if they said "There is no time for Cage, we have too many characters" then that would be kind of ok. But instead they want to score woke points so they can go fuck themselves.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Todd Garner (Producer, cuck) on why Johnny Cage isn’t in the movie.
View attachment 342889
"I think a lot of video game movies fail - this is just a theory, I could be wrong, but this is just my gut feel - because they don't respect the material enough," director Simon McQuoid tells us.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Kano and Sonya are your token white folk in what is otherwise an Asian Kung fu movie. That's how action movies worked in the 80's and 90's. A lack of Johnny Cage doesn't bother me. He's a cool character, but let's be honest, he sucks and no one played him save to nut punch people.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Dislike

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Kano and Sonya are your token white folk in what is otherwise an Asian Kung fu movie. That's how action movies worked in the 80's and 90's. A lack of Johnny Cage doesn't bother me. He's a cool character, but let's be honest, he sucks and no one played him save to nut punch people.

Literally the best reason to play any of the characters

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Johnny cage has also become much less of a serious character. He's the comedic side character which might not fit the tone of the movie at all.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
White male, popular actor, ego maniac. Shit, perfect subject to massacre brutally. I'm sure they could fit that in somewhere. That they haven't is good news.

Cybsled

Johnny cage has also become much less of a serious character. He's the comedic side character which might not fit the tone of the movie at all.

That's actually a good point. This film already has Kung Lao and Kano, both of which tend to do the comedy routine in the MK games in addition to Johnny.

It would be kind of meta if in the 2nd movie, the reason he shows up is because he got canceled for doing/tweeting some stuff, so he joins the MK crew to help rehabilitate his public image.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That would be a perfectly acceptable answer if they had said that, but they didn’t. The Producer had to make it about Johnny Cage being a straight white male.

• 2Like

j00t

That would be a perfectly acceptable answer if they had said that, but they didn’t. The Producer had to make it about Johnny Cage being a straight white male.
well, the producer can say whatever he wants. the director is the one who clearly has the passion for this thing. as far as THAT kind of nonsense goes, the director seems to have his head on straight. obviously we'll see when it releases but i'm not expecting much wokeness at all, really.

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If they made Jax white would that be celebrated

Id hope that was at least considered, right

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i lost excitement for this some after that woke shit by the producer. why fighting has to be progressive i'll never know. Bloodsport will remain the best fighting competition movie of all time.

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Seems like Kano is going to be a ruthless Johnny Cage with the jokes and shit. I guess that's okay, but I liked Johnny Cage's atittude of "what the fuck? Yeah, alright lets do it!" to every absurd thing he saw in the shadowlands or whatever. I mean he fucking nut punched a 4 armed murder monster. What a hero. Just make him a white Nicaraguan and throw him in!

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Release date for this was pushed back another week to April 23rd.

• 1Worf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Since all the bigger movies hopped behind Top Gun in July the simul-releases from HBO can spread out and at least try to maximize some theater revenue. Godzilla comes out now and the Saw spinoff in May so they spaced Mortal Kombat in between.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Been playing a ton of MK11 (the best fighting game I've played in a long, loooong time) and it's getting me hype for this. The casting is pretty good as well, and I'm continuing to love the straight to home HBO MAX movie model. Just need to find some actual good home popcorn.

• 1Like