Mortal Kombat (2021)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don't know, seems like an easy fix for the sequels. "My name may be Cole, but I have always been.... Scorpion." or whatever. Just drop the Cole character and move forward with fan service. Doesn't save this movie but it has made enough to get a sequel.

Cybsled

The movie kept hinting he would become Scorpion, but instead his power is literally plot armor

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah thats honestly what I thought was going to happen. It seemed so heavy handed with the visions of Scorpion and the whole bloodline stuff over and over.

But nope.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cause they realized that the current actor for Scorpion is a thousand times better than him not even halfway through the movie. "Ok ok, lets stop. We need a rewrite."

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
If only you could transplant some of the actors from the original movie, tweak the script to suit them, and other weak points of the movie, this would be a near perfect MK movie. Oh and throw in the music from original too, I hate that shit, but it worked for the movie. I appreciated the music nod at the end of this one.

The scene where Raiden first appears, and raised his head, I knew it was some other dude, but my brain was like Christopher Lambert whoooo! Fella that played Shang Tsung was always good in various movies IMO too. Obviously fella that played LK too, fine random dude is the hero kinda, LK should still have an important role considering games.

Stoner can dream.

• 1Like

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
"and hand me a fucking egg roll!"

Best line in the movie! Loved the cheese in the movie, and the Kool-Aid blood splatter everywhere. Went in expecting nothing, was happy with the result.

Only gripe, Liu Kang just didn't feel right. The first actor that played him fit the part better

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
It still kills me that Cole's power was literally plot armor.

Single handedly the worst character in the movie.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Maybe they could pull a MK:Annihilation and kill him off in the first 10 minutes, like they did to Johnny Cage

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How does the Cole thing even happen? Doesnt movie studios do focus group studies on the content they are proposing? I cant imagine any real percentage of the fan base, or even casual MK fans would be interested in taking away screen time from established MK icons in order to give it to a regular dude named Cole whos special ability is plot armor. Even worse, have him linked to Scorpion in such a retarded and unfilling way. Like many have said, they should of just MADE him scorpion, and kind of reimagined his origin story, which would have been absolutely fine.

Instead they make him his own lame character and have Scorpion come back to life by escaping the depths of hell. lol? How did they green light this?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bonch

Golden Knight of the Realm
There is no scientific reason to have enjoyed this movie. Weak plot, many hollow characters, convenient occurrences, and hardly any actors of note.
But God help me, I liked it so damn much. I loved Kabal and his sarcasm, loved that Goro is once again deprived of being the Big Bad, thought Kano was the scene stealer we all agree on, enjoyed that Kung Lao wears basically a Captain America shield as a hat, and liked seeing Rictus and Shatterstar get paychecks.
Its a great “bad movie”.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I enjoyed it for what it was: A brainless summer popcorn action flick. Kano was great. Cole was a waste of screen time. No Christopher Lambert. Lots of fights and absurdity, which is how it should be. Scorpion story was my favorite.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How does the Cole thing even happen? Doesnt movie studios do focus group studies on the content they are proposing? I cant imagine any real percentage of the fan base, or even casual MK fans would be interested in taking away screen time from established MK icons in order to give it to a regular dude named Cole whos special ability is plot armor. Even worse, have him linked to Scorpion in such a retarded and unfilling way. Like many have said, they should of just MADE him scorpion, and kind of reimagined his origin story, which would have been absolutely fine.

Instead they make him his own lame character and have Scorpion come back to life by escaping the depths of hell. lol? How did they green light this?
covid would be my guess. no one is doing focus groups and pre-screenings and all that right now.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
Mortal Kombat and Tenet both wrapped production/primary filming in 2019 before covid

most movies are just bad, nowadays i just grade on a curve "do I regret wasting 2 hours of my life on this movie?" While MK wasn't a great movie I don't regret watching it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
most movies are just bad, nowadays i just grade on a curve "do I regret wasting 2 hours of my life on this movie?" While MK wasn't a great movie I don't regret watching it.
This is pretty spot on for me. Before I watch a movie I have to ask myself if it’s gonna be worth the 2 hours. The answer is usually no with how mediocre everything is now.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It still kills me that Cole's power was literally plot armor.

Single handedly the worst character in the movie.
yup, see a dozen pages back. Could have just made the main character, you know, the main character, like the 1995 Movie

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I'll watch it on HBO/Max day fucking one. The last one was entertaining enough for that. I will not pay to go see it, though.

What if Cole dies to Shao Khan in the first 5 minutes only to have him be replaced by Johnny fucking Cage as the main protagonist? Talk about meta redemption for the last MK2.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users