Mortal Shell - Soulslike RPG

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Don't know much about it but it is certainly a very pretty Soulslike game from what we see here.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Following this. Not interested in most Souls like knock offs, but this looks very well done while maintaining an interestingly unique aspect to it. Hope it delivers.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’m just going to assume it is the iPhone speakers but something about the sounds are very distracting. Like it isn’t layered correctly or mixed right. Looks interesting though.

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
They opened up the beta for everyone on PC:

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty cool so far.
Definitely has a steep learning curve. One of the best "souls feel" of any souls-like game I've tried.

I have not made it past the first area.
That Gollum dude in the cave just wrecked me.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah almost got that guy down but had some annoying issues. Dropping target way too often. Unless this is a purposeful mechanic and every time you get hit you drop your target lock. In which case that is super annoying. Also annoying are the loading screens with the Item Information fading and coming back when the load finishes. Just feels sloppy. Oh and when you craw in to that cave there are two transitions each with different camera angles and none matching what you crawled in there with. Why do I need two separate views of me exiting a tunnel?

Playing on a keyboard wasn't great but I much prefer controllers for these. Had to add to Steam as Non-Library game in order to get my DS4 to work. Epic Games store wanted nothing to do with it. Framerate was good and consistently above 60 fps on my 980TI. And I didn't seem to have the same issues with the audio as I did when watching that one extended play. Audio sounded fine.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Like it so far but it definitely seems jerky due to animation lock or something. Might just take time to get used to it or something

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Fun little demo, kind of a hybrid of Dark Souls + Bloodborne combat mechanics. Not a keyboard game though that is for sure.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
lol, I just realized you can't parry if that little item isn't glowing(resolve) I thought you could still parry but not get the fancy riposte strike.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Watched some streams of this yesterday, mostly stayed on Elajjaz once I saw he was streaming it. It looked much better than I expected, and every streamer liked it and pretty much mirrored the review posted above.

Even if it is smaller in scope, and would fall into the "indie souls" category, the price and recommendations made me buy it. Unlocks in a few hours on PC. Xbox/PS4: Midnight PST/3am EST/8am BST. PC: 5am PST/8am EST/ 1pm BST.

Had to look up the release time on the developers twitter. The epic store is so bad.... no timer for when it actually releases, no discussion forums, just bleh all around.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is this really only 7 gig or is that compressed? Seems awfully small compared to most titles released today. Gotta a few errands to run this morning but it'll be finished downloading and installing when I get back. The demo was fun enough but not blow me away must have. Had it in mind this was a $60 release but for $30, eh, I need something to play.

*edit: Explorer says 11.0 GB after install

Last edited: