Most memorable comic book moments

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Grimmlokk said:
This list will tell you why so many people that really got in to comics in the last 10 or so years ended up leaning towards Marvel and think DC is a mess.

Top 10 Worst Moments in DC Comics | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

And THIS list will tell you why many who were in to comics in the 90"s lean towards DC and think Marvel is a mess.

Top 10 Worst Moments in Marvel Comics | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

Or something. Whatever, just 2 interesting lists and I noticed how much of the DC stuff was mid-late 2000"s and Marvel was 90"s and late 2000"s.
Say what you will about Brand New Day, cause it sure did suck, but spiderman"s books have been pretty awesome since then in my opinion

meStevo_foh

shitlord
So Avengers vs X-Men starts this week with #0. I guess the catalyst for it really started with the return of Cable as he came from the future to kill the Avengers because they were a future threat to Hope.

The conclusion of that 4-parter that could have been 1 single comic:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read:Cable defeated, but completely consumed by the techno organic virus, hope lets the virus infect her, removing it from Cable, and manifests the Phoenix Force briefly to get it out of her system, leaving her and Cable clean.

Cable in an astral projection to Cyclops tells him that she is the Phoenix.

Looking forward to AvX #0 Wednesday, and then a steady diet of this every other week. Stopped buying books a few months ago, started again this month with Age of Apocalypse #1, and will be picking all of these up.

All of Marvel"s big titles going forward come with a free digital copy too or something I think. Kinda annoying if that it means everything will be in plastic bags though.

With Scarlet Witch making a return with this event I hope she utters "a shitton of mutants" at some point because the "we"re going extinct, whatever will we do" stuff is so boring at this point.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
meStevo said:
All of Marvel"s big titles going forward come with a free digital copy too or something I think. Kinda annoying if that it means everything will be in plastic bags though.
It is absolutely fucking baffling to me that Marvel still has not managed a day-of digital release system. After DC did it and has apparently had huge success even with some hiccups.

Really, there"s absolutely nothing anyone could say to convince me there"s a good reason Marvel should be dragging ass like this.

Leviothan_foh

shitlord
Grimmlokk said:
This list will tell you why so many people that really got in to comics in the last 10 or so years ended up leaning towards Marvel and think DC is a mess.

Top 10 Worst Moments in DC Comics | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

And THIS list will tell you why many who were in to comics in the 90"s lean towards DC and think Marvel is a mess.

Top 10 Worst Moments in Marvel Comics | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

Or something. Whatever, just 2 interesting lists and I noticed how much of the DC stuff was mid-late 2000"s and Marvel was 90"s and late 2000"s.
Haven"t read your link yet (have them open, will get to it) but I just wanted to throw in my unwanted opinion about the current state of DC and Marvel comics.

DC comics had a strong start with the 52 Reboot. While I can understand why some people hate reboots, I tend to like them for the reason that it allows new readers to get in and also to take something that is getting stale and giving it a new face. There"s only so much you can do with established canon before comics become too much like a shitty soap opera where X backstabs Y but Y was pregnant with Z"s twins who ended up living because Z actually impregnated Y"s comatose twins body with the babies before they died.

52 started off strong with some of their best writers on their major books. After the initial 6-7 issue story run though, a lot of them switched writers or lost direction. Especially the Superman books.

Marvel on the other hand has almost died to me since "Siege". The stories have been uninteresting and the only titles that were worth reading were X-Force and Spiderman. Everything else is obviously being written by overseas amateur writers. It"s hard to even read most of their shit. Oh, and I like reading Ultimates because I like how Marvel goes balls to walls "IDGAF" with the Ultimate universe and just slaughters entire nations every 4 months.

Marvel needs to take a step back and re-evaluate their current arcs and writers. I used to get hard as fuck for Marvel and I completely thought DC was a bag of dicks that only an old person could love. Now, I favor DC and find Marvel borderline bearable.

Both companies, though, need to get in writers for their books that will write for a year. Comics come out once a month and a year"s worth of story could be done with a serious sit down time with the writer in 4-5 months. That way we don"t get 3-4 issue story arcs that lack any development and are basically throwaway issues. I think that"s why some indie comics tend to be better than the main two franchises because one writer is just continuing their story throughout the series or until a saga is completed.

Leviothan_foh

shitlord
Okay, I read the link and agree with most of the DC stuff aside from All Star Batman and Robin. I thought they were awesome and over the top.

As for Marvel, what the fuck are One More Day and Civil War? Both of them were great as fuck. One More Day ended shitty with the Brand New Day launch which turned out to be the best thing for Spiderman in years, it only took years to get good, but OMD was great all around. It was awesome seeing Peter break into jail to completely fuck up Kingpin"s world too. The was a huge moment which was quickly retconned but holy fuck that issue alone will always remain in my memory.

Civil War was awesome as fuck too. I just didn"t favor the ending (like I do with many Marvel stories) but the entire run was awesome and led Marvel into their Outlaw ages which led to Dark Reign which was the shit too! Fuck those lists can die of AIDS.

TheRidic_foh

shitlord
Leviothan said:
Civil War was awesome as fuck too. I just didn"t favor the ending (like I do with many Marvel stories) but the entire run was awesome and led Marvel into their Outlaw ages which led to Dark Reign which was the shit too! Fuck those lists can die of AIDS.
Dark Reign was EXCELLENT IMO. What I think worked in their favor was making the pay off in Siege only 4 issues. They did not drag it out for 6-8 months. Those four issues of Siege where damn near perfect.

They used Dark Reign as a perfect build up so that when it was time for the main event, they could just focus on the event itself.

I"m going to miss BMB

And Spider man has gotten MUCH better once they gave up on their shitty new bad guys and stopped trying to get people to think MJ was a super hero. Plus Slott is FUCKING AMAZING when it comes to writing Peter AND Spider-Man. He does a great job of writing them as one character, not two like a lot of other writers have done.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Yeah, I have high hopes that AvX is going to turn things around for Marvel super hero books, but know I shouldn"t get my hopes up after stuff like Schsim and even Fear Itself.

Things rarely seem to have a lasting affect, it"s like they decided to split up the X-Men books and then tried to think of a story to get them there. Then once they were split up, they had little idea what to do with them.

I still don"t know why there"s a book called X-Men Legacy. It should be Rogue and the X-Men, sitting on the shelf next to Wolverine and the X-Men. When I started buying books again several months ago I completely ignored that title because I thought it was a "untold stories" type of thing, not a current book.

My biggest pet peeve of course still runs rampant below. What the fuck. Spider-Man and Wolverine fighting Cable, which is a continuation of last week. They"re there to assist a few Avengers, Hope, and Cyclops... so why is Spider-Man in a black costume, and Wolverine in his X-Force (still a secret team) outfit on the cover?

I am all for making things look spiffy on the cover, trying to sell more copies and all... but this doesn"t even make any sense.

Leviothan_foh

shitlord
The answer is Jeph Loeb and McGuiness. Throw in as many crossovers as possible in costumes that make them look edgy. It has been their game plan for awhile now.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven"t read since the 90"s, but when did Cable get the ability to transform into organic steel like Colossus? I"m assuming he stole it with his l33t TP/TK skills?

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Ahoy, spoilers ahead.

Well, Cable died a bit ago, or at least seemed to. To return to the Marvel Universe came back from the future with a terminal case of the Techno-Organic Virus to prevent the Avengers from doing something to Hope. The more he exerted trying to take out the Avengers the more he had to give in to it. By the 4th issue and after tangling with the Red Hulk, he was fully succumbed to the virus and looked like the cover above.

The conclusion of that story had Hope (the mutant messiah, the first mutant born after Scarlet Witch depowered all but a couple hundred) absorbed the virus into herself and then killed it by manifesting the Phoenix Force... which is the catalyst for the big event of the spring summer starting next week... Avengers vs X-Men.

I am hopeful it will have lasting effects because already we have Cable back (they should get rid of this Fantomex douche and replace him with Cable on X-Force), and without his virus that he"s always had to dedicate some effort to controlling he could actually become pretty powerful (or maybe they"ll take that some unexpected direction). Of course, who knows how they"ll fuck it up with the Phoenix, a lot of talk about someone becoming the Phoenix"s new host, speculation it could be some lame (to me, not a fan of martial arts) character like Iron Fist.

Who knows though, they always fuck up their biggest reveals. For Civil War Spider-Man revealed himself as Peter Parker publicly... and they undid that via some deal with Mephisto or some bullshit? Really?

I am also kinda looking forward to the VS books. They"re going to have a companion series to the AvX books called VS, and it"s basically just pages and pages of the fights, which will be touched on in the main story, but not given all the panels to give them real justice. This Cable vs Avengers X-Sanction 4 parter that just wrapped up was kinda similar... was basically Cable taking out 1-2 Avengers per issue before he got stomped in the 4th.

Anyways, it"s super hero comics, sure to be something cool, but 10 stupid things to go along with it.

Dom_foh

shitlord
Oh FFS, why did they have to bring Cable back. I caught up on the last half decade or so of X-men a few months back, and Cable"s death was the best part of it. Not because I hate the character, but because he"s my favourite and they gave him a death that not only suited him, but had real purpose and was a proper sendoff. The page with Hope screaming over his corpse was close to Kitty finding Colossus in Astonishing levels for me.

Now, I click on this thread and see him alive and well on the cover of a shittily drawn Avengers cover.

/sigh

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Yeah, this panel was really good, and thought the conclusion of that was pretty good.

For those who hadn"t read... some future fleet of Sentinels/Nimrods were attacking SF after a lengthy story arc, a group went to the future where they were coming to shut it all down, Cable sacrificed himself to keep the portal open... the portal closed and the below is all that remained.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone readingNorthlanders? Looks interesting because I love Viking shit, just seeing if any of you folks I trust have tried it out yet. If not I"ll let you know how it is if I remember. Brian Wood writes it, I was a fan of Local for awhile so that"s good.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just don"t...

I guess the issue before FF604, Galactus is fighting the Celestials, and loses. Franklin Richards from the future gets involved, and punks the Celestials in one hit.

This is the dumbest thing I"ve ever seen in comics EVER. And the issue just gets worse later on, much, much worse.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
I loved and hated all of that stuff... usually love anything with Galactus, but hate pretty much everything involving all the genius children which I guess are now the focus of FF.

I am cringing as I wait for them to reintegrate Johnny into the FF like he never had his Negative Zone incident. I"d much rather they turn him into a Nova/Surfer/Galactus Herald-level guy with the control rod and whatnot. At least for a little while. Bring him into an Annihilators arc or something. Prefferably as a good guy, not a predictable "oh no, the control rod is corrupting him, we"ve got to bring him down".

Anyways, have little hope for FF/Fantastic Four.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
meStevo said:
I loved and hated all of that stuff... usually love anything with Galactus, but hate pretty much everything involving all the genius children which I guess are now the focus of FF.

I am cringing as I wait for them to reintegrate Johnny into the FF like he never had his Negative Zone incident. I"d much rather they turn him into a Nova/Surfer/Galactus Herald-level guy with the control rod and whatnot. At least for a little while. Bring him into an Annihilators arc or something. Prefferably as a good guy, not a predictable "oh no, the control rod is corrupting him, we"ve got to bring him down".

Anyways, have little hope for FF/Fantastic Four.
You couldn"t have loved that Galactus was Franklin"s little bitch. He literally blew the head off of one Celestial, summonedGalactus as his herald, and then killed all of the remaining Celestials.

Its the most retarded writing EVER.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Frankin Richards is pretty much the most absurdly powered mutant in existence. Like make his own universe powerful, celestials and galactus consider him their equal powerful.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Angerz said:
Frankin Richards is pretty much the most absurdly powered mutant in existence. Like make his own universe powerful, celestials and galactus consider him their equal powerful.
Their equal? He killed all of the Celestials and Galactus is now his herald LOL.