Most screwed up thing your parent/bro/sis/gf/bf has told you?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah that stuff really fucks people up probably more than you or I will ever know. My mom has attempted suicide 3 or 4 times (that we know of) and claims it's because of flashbacks she has from that stuff.

It's hard to deal with because I can't really fathom what it feels like.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I don't think it's that fucked up compared to some of these stories but all I've got is that my dad was cooking meth in the house from like when I was 11 to 17, we eventually got raided by the police and all that bullshit but dad went to prison and now has his life sorted out(without being a jesus nut), I also have a grandma and uncle in the KKK back in Missouri. Big surprise there.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My mom likes to tell me about all the times she was raped during the 70s. Over breakfast. Almost every fucking day.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
This isn't in the same league as some of the fucked up shit going down in this thread, but it does a good job of illustrating what a crappy relationship I had with my parents.

When I was growing up, my sister was the star of the house. They had her pegged as some kind of genius, while I was always considered the dullard and dumbo who would be lucky to graduate highschool. She went to a very expensive private school, I went to the local highschool. There were pictures of her all over the house, and I was the invisible boy.

In any case, I gradually grew away from them and left for university...the same university as my sister. We soon discovered that I was not in fact the dullard. I was blossoming and she was struggling. She was getting shitty grades and I was all of a sudden getting A and A+ grades. Time goes by and she got miserable marks on her SAT, failed to get into Law School, and ended up leaving after a second-class arts degree with a B average. I got a scholarship to Oxford to do a post-graduate research degree.

Despite all this, when I got the letter of acceptance and the offer,my parents literally thought that I was too dumb to understand that what I had received was, in fact, a rejection letter. They thought I had mistaken getting rejected for getting accepted! Even after all the awesome scholastic achievements I had, they still thought I was a fucking moron.I don't think I'll ever forget the conversation I had with them at the time: "Arrrreeee you suuuuuuuurrreeeeee they are accepting you???"

I'm now the only one in my entire family tree with a PhD. So fuck them.

nuday

Golden Squire
I'll add to the depressing parents stories. My mother and father have been married for nearly thirty years. Recently, my mom found out (through some pretty fucking impressive internet sleuthing for a woman that barely touches a computer) that my dad had been cheating on her with two or three different women over the course of five or so years. So, with the entire goddamn family to call, who does she call? Me, like two weeks before the birth of my daughter.

The woman still calls to "gossip" with me about how shitty the man is for doing that to her. I don't know what she expects me to say.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'll add to the depressing parents stories. My mother and father have been married for nearly thirty years. Recently, my mom found out (through some pretty fucking impressive internet sleuthing for a woman that barely touches a computer) that my dad had been cheating on her with two or three different women over the course of five or so years. So, with the entire goddamn family to call, who does she call? Me, like two weeks before the birth of my daughter.

The woman still calls to "gossip" with me about how shitty the man is for doing that to her. I don't know what she expects me to say.
"You're right mom, that's really fucked up. I'm going to let him know that as his son and a new father, I'm not impressed."

nuday

Golden Squire
If I thought that would actually stop the phone calls, that is exactly what I would say.

khalid

Unelected Mod
This isn't in the same league as some of the fucked up shit going down in this thread, but it does a good job of illustrating what a crappy relationship I had with my parents.
I disagree that it isn't in the same league as other fucked up shit. Being treated like dirt by your parents as they heaped praise on another sibling has to have had huge effects on you. It isn't a minor thing at all.

Do you have any relationship with your sister or did your parents abuse (which is really how I see it) also ruin that relationship?

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Found out when I was 16 that I have 2 older sisters. Also the same year I found out my grandfather used to rape my mother so often she had 2 abortions because of him. Always a fun time when mammy gets to drinkin.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
My dad has been doing life in prison since I was 5 and was never around before that, I just would hear awful stories about him and his sociopathic behavior.

While visiting my older brother in the county jail (I have 2 full brothers one younger and one older I never knew of any others) a couple years back he had found out another inmate is our half brother, he had letters and shit from my dad as proof.

My "new" brother said we have other half brothers in jail as well that he found, so apparently half the white dudes in my hometown county jail system are my brothers.

Before we could get more information "new" brother got moved to state prison for like 16 years.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My aunt and I were really close when I was growing up, she was only like 10 years older than me. She confided in me once that her older brother had raped her, over the course of years, and I was floored. I don't think she really told anyone that. But the part that really got me was that as we talked about it and more came out, she kind of clarified and said it wasn't rape. Of course it technically was, but no, she thought they had a relationship,t hey both did. It only ended when he moved out of the house and she got enough distance to see how terrible the situation was. She then descended into a 20+ year spiral of shame and horrors that has only just recently ended more or less. I think about that all the time and how important it is to protect my daughters, how easily something can happen right under my nose to throw them off track for the rest of their lives.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
My parents haven't had sex in ~27years. My mom was once married right out of college; dad doesn't know. My mom took 2k from me for taxes, went over to visit her ~ 12 months later, asked for it back, she called me an ingrate, kicked me out of her house (lol it's not hers, my dad pays for it), took away my car (it was in her name).

And that's why I dropped out of college for 3 years.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I disagree that it isn't in the same league as other fucked up shit. Being treated like dirt by your parents as they heaped praise on another sibling has to have had huge effects on you. It isn't a minor thing at all.

Do you have any relationship with your sister or did your parents abuse (which is really how I see it) also ruin that relationship?
Thanks
smile.png

Actually, my sister and I are really close. We became really good friends during the university years when we began to realize (a) that we both just weren't the people our parents wanted us to be, and (b) we didn't have to hang out with each other anymore unless we really wanted to. Years later we ended up actually working for the same company and have stayed really good friends to this day.

I think my sister is way more fucked up because of our parents than me. She would agree. She has all of these perfectionistic tendencies and weird drives for external feedback. I, on the other hand, learned that what people think of you - even your parents - doesn't matter nearly as much as what you think of yourself.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
How many of these molester grandpa stories are from trolls? Cuz if not that freaky shit that leaks out into the news every so often must be way more common than is generally known.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude, literally every single adult woman I know has been molested or raped or something. It is SO common.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nah bro nah. It is ridiculously common and underreported. Whether from parents, friends, other family members, etc, people are some crazy molesting motherfuckers.