Most underrated and overrated movies ever

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Underated: Man from Uncle, The Good Guys, Grosse Point Blank

All three of these are very rewatchable, but have some slow burn aspect to them. Great humor and likable but flawed characters. Grosse Point Blank might be the only movie with Minnie Driver in it where I do not feel like punching her in the face while watching it.

Overrated: Whiplash, Superbad, Black Panther

Whiplash was art house oscar bait and pretty much forgettable. Jk Simmons is literally better and more entertaining in every other movie he has ever made. Superbad got hype because R movies like that had died out for a while, but years later I struggle to remember anything about it beyond McLovin's name and the dick art at the end. Black Panther was a cash in on the woke cult that everyone got in line to virtue signal for and in a decade no one will remember it was ever a movie.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

All three of these are very rewatchable, but have some slow burn aspect to them. Great humor and likable but flawed characters. Grosse Point Blank might be the only movie with Minnie Driver in it where I do not feel like punching her in the face while watching it.

Whiplash was art house oscar bait and pretty much forgettable. Jk Simmons is literally better and more entertaining in every other movie he has ever made. Superbad got hype because R movies like that had died out for a while, but years later I struggle to remember anything about it beyond McLovin's name and the dick art at the end. Black Panther was a cash in on the woke cult that everyone got in line to virtue signal for and in a decade no one will remember it was ever a movie.
Whiplash was phenomenal. MOst intense movie I’ve ever watched. I’d call it underrated if anything. You also need to watch it with a banging sound system to really appreciate it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Whiplash is probably one of the most evocative films I’ve ever seen so let’s just not.

The Man From UNCLE? Fuck sakes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Overrated: Aliens (Alien 2). Pretty simple shoot-em up that gutted the original's cool idea for an ultimately fairly medicore 'Nam in Space 1980s action flick.

Underrated: Alien 3. It clearly has flaws, but brought existential horror back to the franchise (if only shortly). Subverting the suger-coated happy ending of Aliens right at the start was a genius move among others.

alien resurrection was better than 3

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Pathetic

Fucker

Log Wizard
Laughably overrated: The Shape of Water. Dumbest movie I have ever seen.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Superbad overrated? You must suck dick at fucking pussy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

I do agree that Superbad is pretty much 100% forgettable outside McLovin.

• 3Seriously?
  • 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Underrated film
The Mosquito Coast

Honestly think its one of Harrison Fords best

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
lol seriously, Alicia Vikander running around in hot 1960s outfits is the only reason that movie was even remotely watchable.

Wha? You didn't like the bromance between Superman and other guy whose name I forget?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Underrated: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This thread needs to be renamed to “Properly rated movies”

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wha? You didn't like the bromance between Superman and other guy whose name I forget?
The action sequences were also really good. But yeah mainly the banter between Hammer and Cavil makes the movie awesome, especially the escape from the safe cracking sequence.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
^^^

I caught a bit of Man from Uncle on free to air TV a couple of months back, the bit I saw looked quite good, but due to it being the middle of the film and watching things on free to air sucks. I went off to do whatever I was doing.

I just checked, it is on one of the local streaming networks. So I will make a point of watching it.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watched Lost Highway again after like 20 years, still think its massively underrated especially the party scene with the devil/evil. Such a chilling scene.

Rewatched Lost Highway after 20 years. It blew my mind the first time, but I thought it lost something in the rewatch. Still, I agree it's an underrated/great movie.

I'll up your ante with Mulholland Drive though.
I definitely feel like David Lynch has been trying to make the same movie over and over again his entire career. Like he has been trying to capture the essence of some fever dream he had as a child in movie form, but he hasn't quite nailed it in a single film yet.

I think he comes closest with Mulholland Drive. It certainly gets lots of credit as a great movie, but still manages to be underrated.

1600489193395.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

nu_11

Laughably overrated: The Shape of Water. Dumbest movie I have ever seen.
It’s a well-made movie that’s ultimately shit. Del Toro has some skills but his story was retarded and disgusting.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Rewatched Lost Highway after 20 years. It blew my mind the first time, but I thought it lost something in the rewatch. Still, I agree it's an underrated/great movie.

I'll up your ante with Mulholland Drive though.
I definitely feel like David Lynch has been trying to make the same movie over and over again his entire career. Like he has been trying to capture the essence of some fever dream he had as a child in movie form, but he hasn't quite nailed it in a single film yet.

I think he comes closest with Mulholland Drive. It certainly gets lots of credit as a great movie, but still manages to be underrated.

View attachment 303501
Mulholland drive has an 8 on IMDB and tops many critics list for best film of that decade.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
"Most underrated and overrated movies ever, and why the most overrated movie is always There Will Be Blood"

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users