Most underrated and overrated movies ever

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I consider this the worst, or my most hated, whatever, movie of all time. How does the book compare?
It has been awhile for both book and movie, but I'm going to say the book is significantly better. Not that you'd actually like it, but they leave out a veritable assload of stuff in the movie that makes the book at least somewhat coherent. It is not award winning literature by any stretch, however.

And I don't remember if the second book was any good or not, but the third was truly atrocious. They went so far off the rails that I think even a lot of the diehards didn't like it much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Underrated: Equilibrium, The Frighteners

Overrated: The Fountain, Cloud Atlas

• 1Like

Cybsled

I hope that at least one of Hunger Games readers that I recommended Battle Royale to picked it up somewhere along the way.

Battle Royale is overrated, to be honest. I remember watching it back in the early 2000s. Maybe it was because people had been hyping it up, but I thought it was merely okay. I think if they had gone full Running Man with it and embraced the whole "watch people murder each other for entertainment" satire angle, it would have been a lot better. The film touches on that a couple times, but they felt like out of place scenes given the overall film because they never really developed that. The 2nd one was hot trash.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Terminator 2 is overrated, the ending with the feeling killing machine is ridiculous. The entire Terminator franchise is overrated because if they can send back robots, so long as it's wrapped in flesh, back in time, except the t-1000, then why can't they wrap guns or bombs in flesh and send those back? Always bugged me.

Now, Terminator 2 isn't bad by any means, it's an excellent film, just some of the levels of praise heaped upon it are Black Panther levels of bullshittery.

• 4Dislike
  • 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, I can't really deny that Battle Royale is overrated.

Terminator 2 is overrated, the ending with the feeling killing machine is ridiculous. The entire Terminator franchise is overrated because if they can send back robots, so long as it's wrapped in flesh, back in time, except the t-1000, then why can't they wrap guns or bombs in flesh and send those back? Always bugged me.

Now, Terminator 2 isn't bad by any means, it's an excellent film, just some of the levels of praise heaped upon it are Black Panther levels of bullshittery.

I don't think it was overrated in its time but as we've moved forward that film has been placed on an increasingly tall pedestal. It doesn't help that Rise of the Machines, Salvation, Genysis and Dark Fate all disappointed. I would say that Dark Fate's underrated. It's still bad but it's got some decent action and a story I don't completely hate. If you just cut it down to 90 minutes and removed the video game physics action barf in the second half it could have been pretty decent.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage

The bulletproof, scientific premise of a time travel movie like The Terminator isnt what makes it great. If you ever take 3 seconds to try to rationalize it, it all falls apart. Guys like Arnie selling an idea and the spectacle of state of the art cgi cinematography are what make movies like The Terminator great. There are certain movies you have to see within a certain timeframe to appreciate. That's why no person born in the 90s could ever possibly appreciate Star Wars or E.T. Hell, Jurassic Park would probably bore the shit out of today's youth.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
The bulletproof, scientific premise of a time travel movie like The Terminator isnt what makes it great. If you ever take 3 seconds to try to rationalize it, it all falls apart. Guys like Arnie selling an idea and the spectacle of state of the art cgi cinematography are what make movies like The Terminator great. There are certain movies you have to see within a certain timeframe to appreciate. That's why no person born in the 90s could ever possibly appreciate Star Wars or E.T. Hell, Jurassic Park would probably bore the shit out of today's youth.
That's the problem, I took that 3 seconds at the beginning of T2. You can't recork the genie.

Edit: said uncork

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Terminator 2 is literally almost a perfect movie!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Nightbreed.

It's not one of my top movies exactly, but if I had to name a top 20, it would be there somewhere. David Cronenberg even plays a convincing creepy/fucked up villian.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Nightbreed.

It's not one of my top movies exactly, but if I had to name a top 20, it would be there somewhere. David Cronenberg even plays a convincing creepy/fucked up villian.
I watched this again recently... didn't age well for me. I think it was teen emo edgy young me that liked it for young emo edgy young reasons.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Underrated: Strange Brew. I can't believe it only won two Oscars.

654.png

• 1Solidarity

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Sierra Nevada Torpedo(ect.) for beer and Snatch for best movie, Gypsy damn dog should of been Snatch and you know where you live, so come back. Do you think a dog can understand Pikey?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Underrated: Equilibrium, The Frighteners

Overrated: The Fountain, Cloud Atlas
I loved Cloud Atlas but I'm fucking stupid.

The Fountain though, yeah that movie was just bad. Aronofsky is a fucking hack, all of his movies are written like shit, see my multiple posts about Requiem for a Dream being dogshit.

Speaking of Aronofsky and shitty movies, I remember people thinking Pi was fucking deep when I was in college, and trying to explain to people that there wasn't a magical number sequence that predicted stock market crashes, and that it was actually just a bunch of evil Jewish bankers.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Among Mel Brooks movies:

Overrated: Young Frankenstein
Underrated: Dracula: Dead and Loving It

• 2Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

The Fountain though, yeah that movie was just bad. Aronofsky is a fucking hack, all of his movies are written like shit, see my multiple posts about Requiem for a Dream being dogshit.

Speaking of Aronofsky and shitty movies, I remember people thinking Pi was fucking deep when I was in college, and trying to explain to people that there wasn't a magical number sequence that predicted stock market crashes, and that it was actually just a bunch of evil Jewish bankers.
You seen the Wrestler?

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Cloud atlas is one of my favorites but everyone hates it. I have a feeling only low iq people like ourselves enjoy it