Most underrated and overrated movies ever

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Cherry Pit scene and the firearm demonstration were different from that character, but I can see the comparison. The goofy style was part of its charm, though. I mean if you showed people in the 50s what fashion trends would be like in the 80s they would think it was goofy and over the top, too.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Matrix worked at the time because it had a lot of unique visual elements and cyberpunk as a genre had not made it to the masses yet (or at least not since the original Blade Runner) in anything resembling a good movie. I really think it was one of those "at the right place at the right time" movies. I would actually toss the original Jurassic Park in the same category, where wathcing it now things like the kids being deathproof and Nedry's poorly considered heist plan kind of stick out as being bad. Both are good movies, but they are not rewatchable masterpieces like Fifth Element, Mars Attacks, or 12 Monkeys.

I love the idea of cyber punk,as done by matrix etc. A bunch of dorks behind computer screens dressing like queers but no one can see them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I did you dirty.

I confused you with Zwi and his Aliens stupidity.

You're opinions on both Cobra Kai and Aliens are beyond reproach.

No problem, brother. We cool.

giphy.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The best part of the 5th Element is the world building it does, they managed to build a huge, fully realized world without resorting to dull exposition. The story is not great and the effects definitely do not hold up, but the world is so rich that it is easy to enjoy.

• 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Matrix worked at the time because it had a lot of unique visual elements and cyberpunk as a genre had not made it to the masses yet (or at least not since the original Blade Runner) in anything resembling a good movie. I really think it was one of those "at the right place at the right time" movies. I would actually toss the original Jurassic Park in the same category, where wathcing it now things like the kids being deathproof and Nedry's poorly considered heist plan kind of stick out as being bad. Both are good movies, but they are not rewatchable masterpieces like Fifth Element, Mars Attacks, or 12 Monkeys.

GTFO (I mean that in the nicest way). I'm sure I've watched The Matrix at least 13 times, and Jurassic Park would be closing in on 10.

Szlia

While it has its moments here and there, the Fifth Element is aggressively stupid. That is not much of a surprise because it's basically a story Besson wrote when he was 12. Talking about 12, I never watched 12 Monkeys again since its release 25 years ago. I remember being slightly underwhelmed by it, but that might be related to the fact that it was one of the few occasions I was hyped to the max for a film. My expectations might have been too high.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
While it has its moments here and there, the Fifth Element is aggressively stupid. That is not much of a surprise because it's basically a story Besson wrote when he was 12. Talking about 12, I never watched 12 Monkeys again since its release 25 years ago. I remember being slightly underwhelmed by it, but that might be related to the fact that it was one of the few occasions I was hyped to the max for a film. My expectations might have been too high.
This man likes every Oscar winning film in the last decade. Guaranteed.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
The 5th Element is all about the world and the character interactions. The plot is weak for sure.

Szlia

This man likes every Oscar winning film in the last decade. Guaranteed.
For shit and giggles, I checked. For one, 5 of the 10 winners for best picture in the last decade, I have not seen (like, I could not muster the strength to go see The Shape of Water). The ones I saw I liked. None of the winners would be my film of the year though. Also, I would not have picked Argo or The Artist in the list of nominee for their year.

• 1Dislike

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Somewhere in Alien 4 there's a half human xenomorph licking Weaver or Winona or some shit. That's all I remember. It was retarded.
That retarded newborn was 100% due to the director, not Sigourney.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The first half of The Fifth Element is pretty awesome and then the second half is basically unwatchable.

• 2Direct to DVD
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Fifth element is the second best movie ever made. All who didn’t like it are humongous faggots.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Underrated: Frailty. It is still one of my favorites to watch even when you know the twist.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Ya, I saw Frailty with no spoilers years ago and thought it was fantastic.

Fifth Element is also a fun movie. It is one of the few movies I can rewatch and not get bored with.