Most underrated and overrated movies ever

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The Prestige was fucking awesome.

Nolan is slightly overrated but only slightly. I would still rather watch nearly any of his movies than 99% of shit out there, so that puts him in the top 1% of filmmakers.

I just think his budgets are too big these days and that allows him to go too crazy with his ideas.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Inception is a top 20 movie. Dark Knight, Interstellar and Prestige are top 50 movies.

You people are sick in the head.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nolan suffers from the same thing as the others, lack of conflict leads to some sacrifice in quality. I don't think it's much, I think Inception and Interstellar were amazing and you guys are nuts, but his more recent stuff is more meandering and more resolved. He builds up these mysteries, which are interesting to think about. Even if Interstellar wasn't a perfect movie, it's so much better than almost everything else being made that shitting on it just feels kind of tryhard.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nolan suffers from the same thing as the others, lack of conflict leads to some sacrifice in quality. I don't think it's much, I think Inception and Interstellar were amazing and you guys are nuts, but his more recent stuff is more meandering and more resolved. He builds up these mysteries, which are interesting to think about. Even if Interstellar wasn't a perfect movie, it's so much better than almost everything else being made that shitting on it just feels kind of tryhard.

I hated Interstellar the first time I saw it. I've seen it quite a few times since, and now think it is one of the top sci-fi flicks out there.

Come at me!

• 2Like

Szlia

Any Oscars?
A nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role, which already makes him part of a pretty small group of people. Also, to get an Academy Award, you need to be good, in a good part, in a good film at the right time.

I am going by production year as it matches for Lost in Translation.

Meatballs -> Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer
Caddyshack -> Robert de Niro in Ragging Bull
Ghostbuster -> F.Murray Abraham in Amadeus
Groundhog Day -> Tom Hanks in Philadelphia
Rushmore -> Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful
Lost in Translation -> Sean Penn in Mystic River
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou -> Jamie Foxx in Ray
Moonrise Kingdom -> Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
St. Vincent -> Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything

Sterling

El Presidente
All you dudes talking about Murray and nobody brings up Stripes?!?!
stripes-movie-2.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
I hated Interstellar the first time I saw it. I've seen it quite a few times since, and now think it is one of the top sci-fi flicks out there.

Come at me!

fantastic movie outside of the ending

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
A nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role, which already makes him part of a pretty small group of people. Also, to get an Academy Award, you need to be good, in a good part, in a good film at the right time.

I am going by production year as it matches for Lost in Translation.

Meatballs -> Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer
Caddyshack -> Robert de Niro in Ragging Bull
Ghostbuster -> F.Murray Abraham in Amadeus
Groundhog Day -> Tom Hanks in Philadelphia
Rushmore -> Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful
Lost in Translation -> Sean Penn in Mystic River
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou -> Jamie Foxx in Ray
Moonrise Kingdom -> Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
St. Vincent -> Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything

A fine post with much truth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I still dislike Matt Damon's very generic space madness in a film that had, up until then, elevated familiar tropes and science fiction elements.
Yeah, Interstellar had a bunch of useless subplots and this was the worst offender. The Dark Knight Rises was also filled with useless subplots.

He needs an editor with some balls to tell him when to cut shit.

• 3Like

Fadaar

That guy
I still dislike Matt Damon's very generic space madness in a film that had, up until then, elevated familiar tropes and science fiction elements.

true the whole arc with him was pretty pointless overall, but Nolan loves to pad out that run time

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
true the whole arc with him was pretty pointless overall, but Nolan loves to pad out that run time

I was really expecting some kind of twist and when one didn't come I was really disappointed. Hey, your robot is on the fritz. Want us to check it out?

NOPE.

I've complained about it before and I 100% don't think it was intentional but the character of his son is just completely and utterly forgotten about after the film portrays him in a bad light as an adult when was basically given no agency in his own life so his sister could pursue space magic. There's a small number of viewers that cannot see Interstellar as anything other than "Hey Dad, Remember Me? - The Movie".

I believe it was fixed in the novelization.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Lost in Translation is one of my all time favorite movies. Penn was good in Mystic River, but I thought Murray was better that year. Also disappointed that Lost in Translation didn't win best picture. I think Sophia won for either screenplay or director (maybe both, I can't remember).

• 3Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Lost in Translation is one of my all time favorite movies. Penn was good in Mystic River, but I thought Murray was better that year. Also disappointed that Lost in Translation didn't win best picture. I think Sophia won for either screenplay or director (maybe both, I can't remember).
Lost in translation is a piece of shit. I’d call it overrated, but I’ve never met anybody who actually liked it. Pretentious Hollywood garbage.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Overrated - Tarantino and/or Nolan films, no not trolling, come at me
Nolan I at least give the guy credit for making movies that arent sequels/reboots/imaginations etc. Though Intersteller did try a little too hard to be a new 2001 Space Odyssey.

Tarantino I find a lot of his movies... annoying? The dialogue always comes off as so damn pretentious.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I was really expecting some kind of twist and when one didn't come I was really disappointed. Hey, your robot is on the fritz. Want us to check it out?

NOPE.

I've complained about it before and I 100% don't think it was intentional but the character of his son is just completely and utterly forgotten about after the film portrays him in a bad light as an adult when was basically given no agency in his own life so his sister could pursue space magic. There's a small number of viewers that cannot see Interstellar as anything other than "Hey Dad, Remember Me? - The Movie".

I believe it was fixed in the novelization.

12271-1532336916.jpg

I think that what happened to his son (Tom) was probably lazy writing. But I think the fact is Tom and Murphy were just two completely different characters. Murphy was the sharp genius kid that was destined to do great things, and Tom was the boring farmer who had no hope of a substantial future. From the beginning of the movie it's clear that Cooper has a different relationship with each kid. He barely even talks to Tom about leaving forever, and the grandfather says "oh Tom will be fine" but they both know Murphy will be destroyed by it. There's a few interesting things I've always enjoyed about Tom and CASE. Cooper uses the line "take it easy turbo" to both Tom and CASE in the movie. Tom wears a hat with CASE on it (see above), and Case is a brand of farm equipment. And Case kind of has the boring functional personality that Tom had. So I've always felt that Cooper saw his son in CASE. Even though Murphy ended up saving the human race, CASE was able to save both Brand and Cooper during different parts of the mission. TARS (an anagram for star) was a much more vibrant robot full of personality. I felt Cooper saw his daughter in that robot. Mann's robot was "KIPP", which is an obvious homage to Kipp Thorne.

I think Mann's attempt to kill Cooper is a little stupid, but I can understand why Mann lied about his data and turned on the "I'm alive" signal. There's an overarching theme of love in the movie, so it makes sense that Mann did not like being alone and needed humans to come out to him. I mean he could have said "thank you for coming, this planet sucks, lets go somewhere else." I'm sure there's something about how they kept saying Mann is "the best of us" and even with that he can still be a coward, selfish, and a murderer. And of course Mann is the best of Man(n) kind.

No one has written in the last few pages about the "love" speech that Brand gives. I always felt that applied because despite everything, Cooper loved his daughter, and she loved him, and he knew that she would still have the watch and be able to receive the data through it.

I also have wondered what percent of people that don't like the movie are without kids. The emotional impact of the movie, specifically the entire leaving his daughter sequence, and then when she pops up as an adult on the recorded message screen, and then when she sends the message accusing him of leaivng her on earth to die (something that affects him so much he is willing to risk ending the human race to go comfort her) destroy me.

For me, this movie hits all the notes. Devastating familial consequences, space travel, beautiful scenery, interesting and accurate physics without an overly complicated plot (Tenet), and a perfect score.

• 3Like