Most underrated and overrated movies ever

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
This may be my most underrated movie choice:

image.jpg

Well acted, a great plot and pacing, and the art deco style kicks ass. Kind of a forgotten gem.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Im going to go out on a limb and say this
69B45D52-0E76-42E2-B7F6-50F594EE0089.jpeg

Is fairly underrated.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Brad2770

I never understood why horror movies went the route of comedy after a few sequels. I think it was the third Nightmare on Elm St. where I finally gave up on the franchise. Same with Friday the 13th.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
As a kid, all the various genetic mutations the Gremlins go through was probably the most memorable part of the film.

View attachment 453464

Yeah, that was the memorable part for me too. I played Gremlins 2 on the Game Boy back in the day and it had a few of the mutations as bosses which was awesome. Electric Gremlin here was the 2nd to last boss and the Spider Gremlin was the final boss (and looked horrifying even on that small screen)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
I never understood why horror movies went the route of comedy after a few sequels. I think it was the third Nightmare on Elm St. where I finally gave up on the franchise. Same with Friday the 13th.
Probably because the more familiar a story becomes the harder it is to keep making it scary.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida

To me the 3rd one is the best one, its fun and the special effects work is great for the 80's. It's too bad the director made such a mess of it, a stronger one would have cemented the film as a 80's horror must watch.

The answer your question though, they felt like just making "another" one wouldnt have worked because it would always be compared to the prior. What is a "darker" Halloween 1 or Friday the 13th when the first ones worked so well cause it straddled the line. Alien is a good example, sure you could put another alien in another ship and it would be OKAY, but they swerved to an action first horror second movie and it worked perfectly. The monsters in the others were very limiting on what you could do, its hard to make an action movie around them, so they tried making them horror comedies after the success of The Evil Dead 2.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This is a fantastic movie. Everyone should see it if they haven't. Came out in '97, and it's still great.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Im going to go out on a limb and say this
View attachment 453413
Is fairly underrated.
Did you watch the RLM video about this? Gremlins 2 is a fantastic commentary on everything wrong with Hollywood sequels while also being a really fucking funny movie. I loved this movie so much as a kid.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Specifically in the case of Gremlins 2, it's because the creator really didn't want to do a sequel, but somehow got full creative control, so ended up making a parody of sequels, Hollywood and the media in general. Extremely based.

• 4Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Specifically in the case of Gremlins 2, it's because the creator really didn't want to do a sequel, but somehow got full creative control, so ended up making a parody of sequels, Hollywood and the media in general. Extremely based.
i remember it even made fun of the movie going experience, there was a fake reel error and everyone in the theater turned their heads to the projection and then hulk hogan came on and something something

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Did you watch the RLM video about this? Gremlins 2 is a fantastic commentary on everything wrong with Hollywood sequels while also being a really fucking funny movie. I loved this movie so much as a kid.
I just watched it a couple nights ago actually
i remember it even made fun of the movie going experience, there was a fake reel error and everyone in the theater turned their heads to the projection and then hulk hogan came on and something something

What’s fucking genius is that they accounted for the home video cassette market and created a new sequence for it:

Hell, someone did a fan edit for a hypothetical VOD/Streaming service viewing:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users