Motorcycle Thread

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Laid down my bike today during my final motorcycle class exam and flunked it automatically. Took it out on the ceiling of my truck which i punched repeatedly in anger while driving home

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My youngest is now big/old enough to get on the bike with me. Had our first ride yesterday. He was literally laughing out loud with delight as we went down the road. Such fun.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Are you using front brake when doing those slow speed manoeuvres? Because if you are, stop doing it. Controlling speed at slow speed is all about slipping the clutch and fettering the rear brake. Using the front brake when making a sharp turn at 5mph is a quick ticket to eating shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
That particular test was preceded by a cone weave for me if I recall.

But generally it was slow down before the turn then slight clutch slip through the turn while focusing way out past your exit so that you don't get target fixated on the turn and over correct for small wobbles. Then small throttle to finish the turn and get the bike back upright.

But fuck me if I could do it today, I just foot dab everywhere because it's my bike and my money.

And now that most of my riding is at the track, nearly everything the CMSP taught is of little value.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Araysar Araysar

Did you read twist of the wrist?

My driving test for my license consisted of a state trooper looking out the window, asking me if I rode there, and signing off on it. Lol

Laying it down is going to happen. Better at 5 mph than 50.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
That particular test was preceded by a cone weave for me if I recall.

But generally it was slow down before the turn then slight clutch slip through the turn while focusing way out past your exit so that you don't get target fixated on the turn and over correct for small wobbles. Then small throttle to finish the turn and get the bike back upright.

But fuck me if I could do it today, I just foot dab everywhere because it's my bike and my money.

And now that most of my riding is at the track, nearly everything the CMSP taught is of little value.

Youre exactly right, thats how they teach it. My mistake was crossing over the outside line by about 6 inches, instinctively going "oh shit" and tapping the hand brake. I should have just powered through, crossing the line would have in no way disqualified me. But panicking and eating shit did.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Are you using front brake when doing those slow speed manoeuvres? Because if you are, stop doing it. Controlling speed at slow speed is all about slipping the clutch and fettering the rear brake. Using the front brake when making a sharp turn at 5mph is a quick ticket to eating shit.

Yes i know, thats exactly what they taught, see my above post. My "oh shit" reptilian brain overtook higher brain function for a second and I instantly knew i fucked up

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Araysar Araysar

My driving test for my license consisted of a state trooper looking out the window, asking me if I rode there, and signing off on it. Lol

No never heard of it. Im guessing i should check it out?

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
90 degree turn in a space the size of a hallway at 5 mph
I imagine test is a little different state to state? Here it's a 90" turn right after moving from a stop. Simulating a right turn from stop sign or out of a parking space without going into oncoming or far curb.

In my training + testing class, first bike I had, all my attention had to go into not stalling with it. Aced most of the test except for that and one accident with the emergency stop when my winter gloves (before I got bike ones) got kinda bunched up and I got the throttle stuck open blah blah.

I found a fair amount of practice before I retook it on my bigger 650 helped a lot, but the biggest factor was 2nd time around the ancient 250cc nighthawk I got had great idle and rode like a breeze to the point I was embrassing everyone else in the class basically.

Only advice other than the usual look where you want to be and not the stripes on the ground is at that low speed you really can usually kinda jerk the bars over and just go with it? Dunno hard to explain something thats split second internal balance, but it's amazing the different skills that all have to come together.

I remember how impossibly sensitive my big bikes throttle seemed to be, as well as just how heavy it is, and now 4 months later I've moved to a liter bike which feels right and making snap 1/2 second shifts.

Sludig

No never heard of it. Im guessing i should check it out?
Here's the video version, narrator for parts I believe is indeed the actual author. 80's cheesy quotes at times, but was very good watch. Plenty of other moto learning vids out there too but none immediately off top of my head. A lot of it still really is just innate learning from doing and feeling. (For me right now it's getting ballsier with leaning over farther, especially in sharper fast turns it's really hard to fight your lizard brain urge which is actually mentioned in the video, and throttle UP threw a turn as you lay it over.)

I think you said you had a 125cc? Or was it like a 250? Wife got a grom for laughs (125cc 3k cheapo 2018 vs something older like yours) If an older 125 is like hers, I really think it's beginner unfriendly in that on the grom at least you have to get pretty high rev on it as your easing into the friction zone vs say my liter bike that will with zero throttle coast/idle 2-3 mph zero effort while siping clutch, or the 650 vulcan just needing a hair of throttle. Likewise shifting on that cheapo honda the lever is funky sometimes failing to find 2nd or get stuck in neutral while going to first, doesn't tolerate trying to shift at a stop vs rolling in etc.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Araysar Araysar

Day I took my course test for the license the dude in front of me was bitching to everyone 'This is stupid, if we were able to ride the bike here they should just give us a license.' And then he went on to dump it in turn no. 2. When I did the 'panic' turn at the end of the course the examiner said 'You took the MSF class, it shows'

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the riding classes are a must. At some point if I get another bike I'll take a sport riding class (track / racing, whatever).

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Twist of the Wrist is the standard "read this" book recommendation but honestly 90% of it is out dated and aimed and fast track riding (which it's really outdated at).

People tend to recommend instead, and that's what the CMSP was based on. I've never read it either.

Most street riding crashes are the result of alcohol, or just generally poor riding habits such as not looking ahead/poor binary throttle and brake control/not allowing for the longer stopping distance a bike needs while following a car, or just being run over because drivers aren't trained to judge speed and direction of narrow bikes instead of the usual car they encounter on the street.

Trail braking (this means the front brake) into corners generally improves traction but it's a difficult skill to impart to people if their control useage is based around very on and off reactions instead of smoother progressive uses of the throttle and brakes.

I would recommend a trackday, but for most people riding is just a hobby or a means of commuting. The expense doesn't make sense for the types skills it teaches you versus just finding a twisty road somewhere and riding that (ideally with a friend in case you crash) at the speed limit.

Sludig

I felt twist, the video gave at least good visuals on things, understanding concepts etc. I'd love to know what's changed more. If nothing else I love it debunking the shit my father/father in law both said that is opposite of twist of wrist/MSF class both said. (Namely they like never believe in using front brake hardly, one believed in physically getting bike to lean and didnt know how counter steering works. Which to me is terrifying to wonder how they did curves and bends. If you take a cruiser on nothing but 40mph roads and are stopping or coming to 10-15 mph on all your tuns I guess you could get by never counter steering but jeesus.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
They almost had to have unknowingly counter steered.

It might be dated, prolly is. But I found a lot of good info in it when I read it.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, they counter steer without realising. We do it even when riding a bicycle, counter steer to make the bike fall into the turn then steer to hold it at that angle and steer more to bring it back up. It's all muscle memory and you don't actually think about what you're doing. I rode dirt bikes since I was a wee boy and the first time I heard about counter steering I thought it was nonsense, then I got on my bike and paid attention to what was happening when I pushed the handles and I was like oh!

Never using the front brake tho, that's quite something. They are willfully ignoring 70% of their braking power.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't been riding for a couple years now, but reading this thread and with spring in the air, it's giving that itch again. Plus after seeing the Ducati Supersport S, I think I am in love. bloody spendy tho.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user