Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Was drooling at a older 1300 Hyabusa locally, kinda looking at concourses for giggles after seeing the MC garage video on the new Gold Wing. (Fucking doing burn out slides left and right in a tiny lot).

New rider, and already fighting with selling my first bike vs keeping it, gorgeous Burnt orange vulcan S. Outside of maybe farting around in town w/ the wife on her grom or a future bigger bike no point to it other than sitting looking pretty.

I did last time we were out teaching her on the grom, I got her on the vulcan, meant her to just do some 20 foot stop and go's. She fucking takes off (slowly) down the school parking lot street and in a full loop around. Kept waiting to watch her fall over after complaining it was so heavy. I think she's coming around to making that her bike, she just hates it isn't one she chose. But we already know she doesn't like sport bikes or anything of the cool stuff and gravitates towards cruisers anyways. Lots of women riding those on the vulcan s facebook page.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I felt twist, the video gave at least good visuals on things, understanding concepts etc. I'd love to know what's changed more. If nothing else I love it debunking the shit my father/father in law both said that is opposite of twist of wrist/MSF class both said. (Namely they like never believe in using front brake hardly, one believed in physically getting bike to lean and didnt know how counter steering works. Which to me is terrifying to wonder how they did curves and bends. If you take a cruiser on nothing but 40mph roads and are stopping or coming to 10-15 mph on all your tuns I guess you could get by never counter steering but jeesus.

Again, track focused but this illustrates how bikes work when you want to go fast. Twist of the Wrist speaks against trail braking, which is inherently a more dangerous way to enter into any corner at speed.

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
Youre exactly right, thats how they teach it. My mistake was crossing over the outside line by about 6 inches, instinctively going "oh shit" and tapping the hand brake. I should have just powered through, crossing the line would have in no way disqualified me. But panicking and eating shit did.

Front brake plus very low speed and a turn has nearly always meant dumping bike over. For me.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Front brake plus very low speed and a turn has nearly always meant dumping bike over. For me.

It's do-able but very difficult. I do it all the time and sometimes I look the fool but I never drop the bike. Just have to come to a full stop and start again, usually when I'm trying to get in position to reverse into a parking spot.

I almost ate shit this morning taking a road I have never used before, went to take a left hand turn at an intersection at a decent speed, fully leaned over and there was a sharp rise in the road that I could not see due to the color of the concrete. If I would have been going any faster I probably would have went down hard.

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
It's do-able but very difficult. I do it all the time and sometimes I look the fool but I never drop the bike. Just have to come to a full stop and start again, usually when I'm trying to get in position to reverse into a parking spot.

I almost ate shit this morning taking a road I have never used before, went to take a left hand turn at an intersection at a decent speed, fully leaned over and there was a sharp rise in the road that I could not see due to the color of the concrete. If I would have been going any faster I probably would have went down hard.

What I meant to say was too much front break.

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if pun...

Nope, being serious.

If you're maneuvering at very low speed, turning the front wheel and you hit the front brake enough to cause extra pressure on the front suspension physics takes over. Forward momentum gets translated forward to the front tire in a slight lean and turn. The bike is already not directly over its center of gravity. So eventually that momentum gets directed in the same direction as the lean and turn and gravity so the bike is momentarily heavier. SO, over and down you go.

I'm taking parking lot, low speeds. Low enough that your're not going to break a leg putting a foot down ( don't curify me MSF ).

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Confucius say, "Too much, front break."

You used the correct term in your prior post, I'm giving you light hearted shit over the wrong word.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

They mentioned keeping it affordable. I think for a twisty demon they could have dropped cruise and a few other things.

Im hoping for around 15k. Then grab an early used low mileage or otherwise wait a year on results. Still got to put my versys 1000 to good use first anyways.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

I watch a lot of this guys videos because I think he's funny, but he's obviously an idiot. Why would you cross into the other lane on a blind corner?

Just recently realized he's from Dallas.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I watch a lot of this guys videos because I think he's funny, but he's obviously an idiot. Why would you cross into the other lane on a blind corner?

yammie is fun but he is one of those riders that goes WAY outside his skill level and has paid the price (I think twice or three times) for it. His whole "Riders you meet..." thing is pretty spot on.

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider

Is it a stereotype that if someone is going to do something really stupid on a bike, they're usually riding a crotch rocket? That seems to be the case in my area.

Hekotat

Is it a stereotype that if someone is going to do something really stupid on a bike, they're usually riding a crotch rocket? That seems to be the case in my area.

I wouldn't say it's sterotypical, they just attract those kinds of people.

Sludig

I liked a few videos of his but soured on him for a while before seeing that one. He actually has like 3 recent wrecks under his belt and he didnt handle flak from other youtube bloggers well.

My wife loves gromiebear and fooligan for her grom. I like walterific though hes been dead for a few months with delays on his new bike. I really love canadian fortnine guy even ifhe bashes Americans. Mc garage and the parent channel is great. Their mc commute doing power slides on the new goldwing is crazy.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I liked a few videos of his but soured on him for a while before seeing that one. He actually has like 3 recent wrecks under his belt and he didnt handle flak from other youtube bloggers well.

My wife loves gromiebear and fooligan for her grom. I like walterific though hes been dead for a few months with delays on his new bike. I really love canadian fortnine guy even ifhe bashes Americans. Mc garage and the parent channel is great. Their mc commute doing power slides on the new goldwing is crazy.
Gromie Bear and Fooligan make me want a grom SO bad but I will be dead within a week in LA.

Sludig

I was excited getting one for the wife. In hindsight i don't find it that enjoyable. At 70 miles might jusy still need break in but feels less likely than ancient msf 250s. A louder exhaust certainly would add placebo thrill. But i thinka grom is ideal for 40mph suburban areas especially where there's plenty of places to act a fool on sidewalks and trails.

For us most of small town is either neighborhood or a 50 mph main street opening up on all sides into 55+ back roads or 75mph highways. So i wish I'd gotten her on like the new ninja 400. But she leans classic and has started riding my burnt orange vulcan s i was going to sell.