Motorcycle Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I was excited getting one for the wife. In hindsight i don't find it that enjoyable. At 70 miles might jusy still need break in but feels less likely than ancient msf 250s. A louder exhaust certainly would add placebo thrill. But i thinka grom is ideal for 40mph suburban areas especially where there's plenty of places to act a fool on sidewalks and trails.

For us most of small town is either neighborhood or a 50 mph main street opening up on all sides into 55+ back roads or 75mph highways. So i wish I'd gotten her on like the new ninja 400. But she leans classic and has started riding my burnt orange vulcan s i was going to sell.

I would most definitely want my woman on a Grom over a 250/400 for a long time before moving up. I'm not knocking your wife or any woman's skill at riding. I'm just factoring in how much easier it is to get into trouble on a much heavier/faster bike. I'd even do the same if I had son that wanted to ride. The grom is stupid light and easy to control and I'd feel much more at ease with an inexperienced rider on one of those. I'd get one as well just to practice wheelies and do dumb shit with her.

You whiskey throttle a grom you can probably get it under control, same goes for if it starts to fall over. I've seen a lot of new riders ride into the side of vehicles, flip end over end, get ran over by cars, etc. People get way overconfident too quickly.

You do you though /shrug.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've looked at used Grom's here and there, I really need to get rid of my Honda 650 first or the GF will murder me. I used to have a ruckus that I traded a car shell for, but it was a little too slow for me.

I live like 5min north of US 1 on the Connecticut shore, so small and low powered is fine around here, its nice to have something small to run into town quick. Or shit even to work, my job is on US1, and when I had the ruckus I did the math. At 110MPG, 1 gallon would cover my commute for two full weeks.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I watch a lot of this guys videos because I think he's funny, but he's obviously an idiot. Why would you cross into the other lane on a blind corner?

Just recently realized he's from Dallas.
He was riding in that abandoned housing development where people go to ride like idiots. So riding on the wrong side of a residential street there makes perfect sense to these winners.

Best version:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Yammie was super popular for a little while as far as moto bloggers go. His riders you will meet videos gave him a ton of viewership really quickly. Then he went to the track a couple times, figured he was fucking street Rossi and thought he could ride on the road like on the track. Except he wasn't particularly fast at the track and he's one of those who cannot process riding well and talking at the same time... which resulted with 3 crashes in a short time span. Insurance companies pretty much tell him to go fuck himself and hang up the phone when he gives his name.

Hekotat

If I hit a car head on in another lane, I'd basically hang up my assless chaps.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Going to go window shop a KTM 390 Duke tomorrow.

Also want to check out the BMW 310 GS.

Pretty sure I'll be buying one or the other once I get my riding gear down to Boulder and get a test ride on both.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd lean the Duke over the 310 assuming it's the same BMW I thought I remember fortnine picking apart. Might have to meet up so I can drool over it, or reject it as sexy but ultimately too slow for my straight line speed addict desires. That and I should be saving for that Niken if it doesnt turn out to suck and isn't >20k.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, he didn't like the 310 R very much, would be nice if he got a hold of a 310 GS to check out.

Hekotat

Going to go window shop a KTM 390 Duke tomorrow.

Also want to check out the BMW 310 GS.

Pretty sure I'll be buying one or the other once I get my riding gear down to Boulder and get a test ride on both.

I love my duke, it's perfect urban monster. However, if you plan on taking it on the highway it's going to be straining to do 85mph (if you don't live in Texas this may not be an issue).

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sat on both the 390 and the 690. I want the 699, lol. They don't have demo units so no test rides unless I essentially say I'm going to buy it. So not buying one there. Will have to check the other dealer in Denver.

Hekotat

Sat on both the 390 and the 690. I want the 699, lol. They don't have demo units so no test rides unless I essentially say I'm going to buy it. So not buying one there. Will have to check the other dealer in Denver.

I couldn't test ride mine either, they are locked out by KTM until they get a purchase order then they remote in and unlock it. They don't want anyone hooning them before purchase.

I want the 790 but I think I want a FZ07 or FZ09 instead. I think the 09 would be overkill for where I ride.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't realize it is KTM doing that, weird. When I got my BMW I test rode a few of em before I settled on the F650GS.(regret selling it now but I just wasn't riding much last few years) Really liked the 690 a lot just sitting on them both.

Hekotat

Didn't realize it is KTM doing that, weird. When I got my BMW I test rode a few of em before I settled on the F650GS.(regret selling it now but I just wasn't riding much last few years) Really liked the 690 a lot just sitting on them both.

I'd go for the new 790 since it's just been refreshed if I was looking at the 690.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Are they even available? I didn't see any at the dealer I went to.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Got my bike all ready to go today. It's an old bike, and I still love it. 2000 BMW r1100rt. Took it out for about 45 minutes, fell in love with it all over again. It's comfortable, plenty of power for me (I don't have the speed gene, so this is sufficient), and it's tall enough for me (I'm 6'1" or 186 cm). It was so nice to be able to be on it again.

Tomorrow a friend and I are riding two hours to a place we know of that sells pretty good hamburgers. Then coming home. Sounds like a nice afternoon.

• 1Like

Hekotat

Are they even available? I didn't see any at the dealer I went to.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't be. They came out in 2018, maybe they don't get them because they don't sell alot of them.

My 390 was the first one the dealership had sold. They were really excited to get to start it.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I forget if sun or fay myers was the one that said they could make a test ride happen.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure why they wouldn't be. They came out in 2018, maybe they don't get them because they don't sell alot of them.

My 390 was the first one the dealership had sold. They were really excited to get to start it.

Everything I've read says they won't be available till the fall. I'll give them a call tomorrow

• 1Like

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So hitting my mid-life crisis (and something that I've wanted to do for 20+ years) I bit the bullet and got my motorcycle permit and got my endorsement last weekend after passing the BRC. The first time I've really ridden a motorcycle was at the BRC so I am a total novice.

I bought a used 2008 Suzuki M50 which I love so far and have ridden it for a few hours this past weekend. I live in the country (sort of) where right in front of my house is a road where the speed limit it 55 so I've taken my bike up to that speed (it freaked the hell out of me at first since it feels like you are going to get blown off your bike and in the BRC you never went above 20 in the parking lot), but I'm slowly getting used to it. One thing that does bother me however is cars behind me as it feels like I'm always going too slow for them and sometimes I wave them past me.

So for your experts out there, I ride a cruiser and going fast it not my #1 thing, but I love not being in the 4-wheeled cage. Any tips/tricks on how to start out this chapter in my motorcycle journey?

In my "circle" I don't have anyone that rides hence my question here!