Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm probably jumping the gun a bit as I'm still such a novice rider, but I bought a Bluetooth headset for my helmet and a USB charger for my phone for the "longer" rides I plan to take. Anyone else do this? I already bought the stuff, so not looking for recommendations on the equipment, but more along the lines of any experiences or drawbacks on using such devices when riding.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I have some cheap chinese knockoff. I can pair it with my phone to receive phone calls or listen to tunes. I can also use it to talk with my pillion when she's riding with me. Works great. Chatting with a pillion is a no go above 50mph though because by then the wind noise just obliterates any hope for a conversation. The branded ones may do better with cancelling wind noise.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've yet to use one but my friends love it. They like to talk to each other, call their wives/gfs or listen to music.

I want to get one but they are too pricey for me, I rarely ride further than 10 miles so it's not really worth it. If I ever take a long trip it would be worth it though, been thinking of riding to Colorado.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I use my phone for directions in a ram mount with a SENA s20. Works great with ear plugs, can talk to my buddy at 80mph no problem.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I want to get one but they are too pricey for me, I rarely ride further than 10 miles so it's not really worth it. If I ever take a long trip it would be worth it though, been thinking of riding to Colorado.

Looking like I'm gonna be staying in Boulder for awhile(year, maybe more) so if you do let me know. Hopefully test riding the BMW this week. Last week was just nothing but rain/hail. This week more promising.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I took my first "longer" trip this past weekend (about 100 miles in total) trying to work my way up gradually. This entailed driving on the Interstate (I-94) in the Twin Cities for a few miles which I've never done before. I've ridden on the highway (both single and 2 lane) but never on a 6-8 lane interstate and it was a little nerve racking. I was going between 70-75 and cars were still flying by me and I tried to stay in the right lane as much as possible, but man.

Not sure if this is a universal thing, but at least around here there is the motorcycle "wave" which is a sideways peace sign. What cracked me up was on the interstate in the lanes going the opposite way a motorcyclist gave me the "wave" and he literally had his arms reached out as far as he could to make sure I could see it. I did a quick wave back, but was pretty freaked out to take my hands of the handlebars.

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
So I took my first "longer" trip this past weekend (about 100 miles in total) trying to work my way up gradually. This entailed driving on the Interstate (I-94) in the Twin Cities for a few miles which I've never done before. I've ridden on the highway (both single and 2 lane) but never on a 6-8 lane interstate and it was a little nerve racking. I was going between 70-75 and cars were still flying by me and I tried to stay in the right lane as much as possible, but man.

Not sure if this is a universal thing, but at least around here there is the motorcycle "wave" which is a sideways peace sign. What cracked me up was on the interstate in the lanes going the opposite way a motorcyclist gave me the "wave" and he literally had his arms reached out as far as he could to make sure I could see it. I did a quick wave back, but was pretty freaked out to take my hands of the handlebars.

Ride like no one in a car sees you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

Yea the wave is universal in the US. You'll feel like a total dick when they wave and you don't see it til it's too late.

• 1Solidarity

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Just get a liter bike so your going 105mph without realizing it, stay out ahead of the traffic.

But seriously unless exit coming up, going speed of traffic or better in the passing lane is mych better than boxing yourself intge slow traffic. Max niw distance of the road way for seeing hazards.

You might benefit finding some 55+ back/ county roads you can run around at 70mph to get used to it ifthe spee is scaring you.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I hate the wave. Keep your mind on what you’re doing, not on some ritual because some random fucktard thinks he’s your bro. If you must, nod your head but keep your hands on the bars. If you don’t wave back, he’ll get over it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I wave, but not on the interstate like Malinatar Malinatar was saying he encountered. Finally got on the 310gs. Most uncomfortable seat I've been on, same with the 310r. They also happen to be a Triumph dealer, OMG, I want a street triple r so badly right now. Now that is a bike. Sitting on it was like they took a mold of my ass then made the seat.

Last edited:

Sludig

Time to go to the kawasaki dealer. Or save 16k the assistant rough price of the nikken when we start seeing it in a few months.

Hekotat

I wave, but not on the interstate like Malinatar Malinatar was saying he encountered. Finally got on the 310gs. Most uncomfortable seat I've been on, same with the 310r. They also happen to be a Triumph dealer, OMG, I want a street triple r so badly right now. Now that is a bike. Sitting on it was like they took a mold of my ass then made the seat.

Maybe they did.

Friend offering me his ultra low mile R6 Raven Edition for 3k since he's looking to move far away. I think I can sell it for 6k, gonna have to think on this.

I'm thinking buy it, sell it, sell the duke and get an MT-07 and put the rest in savings.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
They also happen to be a Triumph dealer, OMG, I want a street triple r so badly right now. Now that is a bike. Sitting on it was like they took a mold of my ass then made the seat.
If you have the means, I highly recommend it. Very choice (and pricey).

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There's another good rule to follow. You don't ever want to be going exactly the same speed as the traffic around you. You become invisible. Go a little faster, then a little slower, but always be moving in relation to the cars around you when on the highway.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
And don't be next to a car, always stagger, preferably ahead and moving slightly faster or behind and maintaining a gap to their rear quarter panel that isn't shrinking.

"Nature abhors a vacuum", and the lanes next to a car without another car are vacuums.

• 1Like

Sludig

Maybe they did.

Friend offering me his ultra low mile R6 Raven Edition for 3k since he's looking to move far away. I think I can sell it for 6k, gonna have to think on this.

I'm thinking buy it, sell it, sell the duke and get an MT-07 and put the rest in savings.

I'd heard lots of random jabs at the 07 in various forums/video's. The 09 being better regarded. I would accuse you of some bike ADHD. (Grom lyfe, KTM Sickkkk, now a yamaha) Just think you might afford the 07 sure, but still probably taking a bath on the ktm if sold and probably jumping insurance rates etc moving up in size. (Maybe not bad, since it isn't going full on big boy engine)

I'm finding myself wondering if for my hour commute I wouldnt do just fine on a sport bike. On my versys I find myself with left hand aches I think due to the hard padding on my gloves, but also feels like the bar isn't right for me, but no idea what I'd need (high/lower, swept more inward etc) I need my upgraded aftermarket windscreen I hear much much better, 60+ and I'm tucking in just to cut down on helmet wind even w/ earplugs.