Motorcycle Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The new Duke TFT screens are a double edged sword.

I love being able to control my music/volume from the handle bars as well as see what song is playing, battery life, cell signal and caller ID on the screen. But I know I'm going to be hating life when it eventually fails.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Reference wearing your gear. I moved to a new province last summer and joined the local motorcycle group on Facebook to see how's the scene around here. What comes up a lot lately with the season coming in full swing is people reporting about their crashes (sand still everywhere on the streets is a hoot). Squid bros riding in sneakers and tshirt show pictures of their xrays and asks how to change bandages on road rash without ripping off the skin. Harley dudes comment how wearing full gear doesn't help because Bob crashed his bike and ended up with road rash on his ass, both hands, back, elbows and nose. God forbid someone points out Harley branded stuff from the mall is trash and is the same quality as fashion leather, they will change their tune and roar how Harley gear is the best, also something something loud pipes.

Meanwhile guys wearing proper stuff are asking for the best place to order spare parts and how to fix fairings. So yeah, wear your gear.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would say that was maybe a mistake. Virtually all helmets are dot approved but their standards are garbage. Generally you are looking for schnell and ece standards.

You don't want to ride with the face bar up so why get one? It is convenient if you have glasses like me, but those flip up chin bars are inherently less strong than a standard full, especially cheap ones. Fine in town but if yuppy intends to do highways or other >60 mph places it would not be my first choice.

Not saying you need to spring for a shoei, but modular helmets in the 150 range are kinda a get what you pay for thing.

Let us know what jackets and if you do pants yuppy are looking at. Can get very expensive but they're are some good bargain options that may not look or nice or have extra bells.

Boots i wear my heavy duty boots for work, could use some actual ankle plates but i want dropping $200 on shoes when is have to carry my work boots with me. Don't just wear sneakers or high side boots that are just soft/thin sides. Google degloved foot.

Good info. Thanks!

This is the helmet I got and it was not on the cheaper side. This is where i did not want to skimp.

LS2 Helmets Valiant Modular Helmet Black Chrome | LS2 Helmets Full Face Street Helmets at Bob's Cycle Supply | Bob's Cycle Supply

For shoes, I am using a pair of "high tops", they are not really sneaker but more hiking style and pretty thick sides, BUT no ankle plates.

For jacket, I forget the brand, but I wanted something breathable for the summer, but have protective plates installed in the shoulders and elbows. Nice thing it has an additional inner mesh liner that you can take out when it's really hot out. I always plan to ride with a jacket no matter how hot it gets.

Gloves - rider gloves with hard protection for the knuckles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've got the rev'it sand jacket/pants I like a lot. Also have a summer jacket with more venting.

I'm a fan of modular helmets as well. Have a Schuberth that fits perfectly and makes using glasses much easier.

• 2Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
When you go to buy pants take your bike, try on the different ones and SIT on you bike. Also put stuff in the pockets, phone/wallet/smokes whatever...
Some will be more comfortable than others, i find Dragon Jeans to be shit.
Some will ride up and expose you ankles, others will bind up in your crutch.
Yes you want to look and feel good, but you HAVE to be comfortable.
CAMMO is a NO GO!!!! EVER, period!!!
I only wear proper boots and wear a small back pack if i need to carry something.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I've only biffed it so far at the track, but my opinion is to ride in stuff that zips together at the waist so that they don't separate in a slide.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Custom bike builder is at my jerb today, looking to buy a waterjet to help fab up stuff for his custom bikes. Here's what he brought, I'm in love with the 80's turbo yamaha.

Turbo Maximus: Derek Kimes’ boosted Yamaha XJ750

The green one has a Duke 690 engine.

IMG_20180510_093055.jpgIMG_20180510_093059.jpgIMG_20180510_093537.jpgIMG_20180510_093255.jpgIMG_20180510_093248.jpgIMG_20180510_093320.jpgIMG_20180510_093353.jpgIMG_20180510_093548.jpgIMG_20180510_093227.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I could see plumping down some cash for that green one. All of them look great though. Just got off the phone with Foothills BMW/Triumph about maybe getting a g310gs, he laughed and said maybe in October. Guess they can't make them fast enough

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hot damn, BMW of Denver just emailed asking if I want to reserve the g310gs, guess just finished being built. Just need to be shipped now. Gonna ride the demo next week.

EDIT put the $500 down on it

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Laid down my bike today during my final motorcycle class exam and flunked it automatically. Took it out on the ceiling of my truck which i punched repeatedly in anger while driving home

Update:

Got my learner's permit a month ago. Put 500 miles on my bike since then. Started practicing after work on small side streets around my subdivision. After 20 miles of that, took it on a major street. Been riding regularly now and daily commuting to work on Orange County roads, 20 miles round-trip.

Went to take the re-test today (was nervous as fuck), fucked up the cone weave a little bit, I still need more practice at maneuvering at low speeds an turns at lower speeds in general, but aced all other portions of test. Passed the test, then took a celebratory 10 mile ride on PCH.

Will do more low speed practice and probably take the intermediate class.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Bout time, congrats dude!

You probably said it at some point, but I cant remember, what bike you got?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Bout time, congrats dude!

You probably said it at some point, but I cant remember, what bike you got?
Rebel 250 if I recall (too lazy to search).

Grats bro, you're legit now (how un-American...)

I got a yellow Honda Rebel 250, I used it to take the test. 1998 but only 10k miles. My buddy let it sit in his garage right next to the ocean for a decade and it has a lot of rust on it.

I bought a Dremel tool and a dozen of steel polishing attachments and been slowly grinding away at the rust over the past few days. 2 more weeks and I'll have it looking brand new.

• 1Like

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Oh wow, I had never seen it in yellow, that's actually pretty cool looking. That's quite something else than the usual orange or black. Must be dashing with your track suit.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Oh wow, I had never seen it in yellow, that's actually pretty cool looking. That's quite something else than the usual orange or black. Must be dashing with your track suit.

yes, it looks smashing with my kill bill-style yellow track suit and leather loafers