Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
BUMP.

OK boys. Never ridden a motorcycle. Now thay i have land I'm interested in getting a dirt bike..

Where should i start? I'd like to get some dirt trucked in for some little jumps. What CC bike should i be looking at?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Do you have friends who ride? I'd take a MSF basic rider course to learn how to ride and if you want to continue after that start looking for a bike. Definitely don't want to be buying anything before you even know how to ride.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Do you have friends who ride? I'd take a MSF basic rider course to learn how to ride and if you want to continue after that start looking for a bike. Definitely don't want to be buying anything before you even know how to ride.

This is perfect advice. Use one of the course bikes to learn, and you'll start to figure out how you want to sit. Different bikes sit totally differently, and they drive differently. For example, I find Harleys to be beautiful bikes, but I also find them very uncomfortable, and I don't feel safe riding down the road in the position a Harley puts you in. Leaning back, legs extended in front, almost like in a recliner. The bike I have sits a lot higher, weight more forward. Not only is my mental comfort level higher, but I find I can ride for hours on end and be physically comfortable.

In short, learn to ride first, so you're confident and safe, and then try different bikes before you buy. Otherwise you may end up with a bike you ultimately don't enjoy riding all that much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Odd time for this thread to be bumped. Since the Rona I've not used my car and sold it a couple of weeks ago. Taking my basic motorbike test on the 6th of October and buying a bike.Just going to get myself a 125cc bike (manual) for the time being to whizz around town on and then after 6 months or so if I enjoy it I'll take the full test and get myself a 500cc bike or something for longer trips as something that small is dangerous for the motorways here in the UK.

Went to shop to get fitted for a helmet as a friend of mine said it's pretty important you get correct sizing. Shop told me to wear it for a couple of hours to get used to it and break in the padding. Claustrophobic as hell, but I think that's just wearing it around the house and when i'm out and riding it'll be much more bearable.

It's pretty exciting.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
He mentioned UK so he is probably referring to what we would call a Scooter or moped. At 125cc there isn't much else.

You're right most people do ride scooters or mopeds for the basic test. When you take the test here you're given the choice and can choose a manual, I'm doing that as I don't want to ride a scooter. The bike I'm learning on will be a full motorcycle just with 125cc and limited to 15bhp, you can still get 75- 80mph out of some of those bikes.

There's plenty of 125cc motorbikes in the UK and It's the largest market for new bikes as they are popular for learners and commuters.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
BUMP.

OK boys. Never ridden a motorcycle. Now thay i have land I'm interested in getting a dirt bike..

Where should i start? I'd like to get some dirt trucked in for some little jumps. What CC bike should i be looking at?
125 two stroke or a 250 four stroke. See if someone offers a dirt bike class near you and has loaner bikes. Shit is tough if you didn’t grow up doing it and it’s a different skill set than street riding.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
All I want on the cheaper road bike from that is the underslung rear brake caliper. Fucking tire changes are a pain in the ass with top mounted brake calipers.

But I need to demolish my 2015 at the track first or try to sell it / trade it in before I have room for another bike.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
125 two stroke or a 250 four stroke. See if someone offers a dirt bike class near you and has loaner bikes. Shit is tough if you didn’t grow up doing it and it’s a different skill set than street riding.

A 4 stroke is going to be a lot more convenient for a new rider/owner. You can get electric start - mildly convenient - and don't have to mix fuels or do nearly as much maintenance - very convenient.

Ditto on classes and learning proper technique. That's the most important first step.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I might be able to afford one 20 years from now but the 40 year GS(A) is kick ass looking.

GSA-40.png

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've been riding since I was a kid and you cannot get me on a dirt bike again. I'm an unlucky motherfucker and that just sounds like a very, very bad idea. That being said I'd love to get an adventure bike but nowhere to really adventure around here without driving way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere or trespassing.

My friends go every weekend and they almost always get fucked up, this video is from last weekend.

He said every one of them ate shit going through that thing.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I've got a 250 4t that I need to convert to a sumo for kart tracks. I've got no friends that ride and solo dirt biking is scary from an injury standpoint.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, without dirt bike buddies I wouldn't be interested at all. My current dream bike is a 790 Adventure R which maybe grab a 2019/20 next year? I'd love if Ducati decided to make something in that size class, physical size wise.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Going camping this week on the bike with a friend. We both have decent saddle bags, but it's cold. Should be interesting. Hope I don't freeze my nuts off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users