Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Ok so I have had some good miles on the bike since I got it a few days ago. The one thing that blows me away is the BMW app that connects to the bike. It records every bit of your ride. You can go back through it and it gives every little detail and the maps that come with it. You just hit play when you get a chance and it follows everything you did on the map. It gives the g's you're pulling on acceleration and deceleration, lean angle, when your ABS engages, percent of DTC, and speed.

This bike is so smooth that I don't know what I'm going to do. I thought I was doing 45 and I looked down and I was doing 70.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Ok so I have had some good miles on the bike since I got it a few days ago. The one thing that blows me away is the BMW app that connects to the bike. It records every bit of your ride. You can go back through it and it gives every little detail and the maps that come with it. You just hit play when you get a chance and it follows everything you did on the map. It gives the g's you're pulling on acceleration and deceleration, lean angle, when your ABS engages, percent of DTC, and speed.

This bike is so smooth that I don't know what I'm going to do. I thought I was doing 45 and I looked down and I was doing 70.

That's pretty typical on speed and a motorcycle, 100mph feels like an absolutely perfect cruising speed.

sublimenerdery

Trakanon Raider
so yet another question for you guys. here's me with my bike! i'll have it delivered this spring since it's cold and lousy here for a few more months. see those shiny chrome exhaust heat shields? they were supposed to be black like everything else. with a minimum of complaining, Indian gave me a $375. voucher that must be used on Indian branded items, accessories, clothing, etc.
one thing i don't have yet is a helmet. i'm thinking of using the voucher for one of their helmets. my question is, how good is a bike manufacturer's helmet likely to be? the one i'm interested in has a DOT sticker, but no MIPS or SNELL or any other jargon i've seen as i research.

should i get a helmet from a dedicated manufacturer, and if so, what might Indian make and brand that i'll actually want and need as a new rider?

SCOUTANON.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
DOT is not the standard to go by in any way what so ever. I don’t know enough about the Indian brand to know what else they might have. Nice looking bike.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Of course they do, with feathers sticking out of them.
Seriously like everyone else probably made by someone else and branded by Indian. Might have to dig to find it or it may be on the helmet dunno.
Nice bike.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so yet another question for you guys. here's me with my bike! i'll have it delivered this spring since it's cold and lousy here for a few more months. see those shiny chrome exhaust heat shields? they were supposed to be black like everything else. with a minimum of complaining, Indian gave me a $375. voucher that must be used on Indian branded items, accessories, clothing, etc.
one thing i don't have yet is a helmet. i'm thinking of using the voucher for one of their helmets. my question is, how good is a bike manufacturer's helmet likely to be? the one i'm interested in has a DOT sticker, but no MIPS or SNELL or any other jargon i've seen as i research.

should i get a helmet from a dedicated manufacturer, and if so, what might Indian make and brand that i'll actually want and need as a new rider?

View attachment 396762
Helmet question answered recently scroll back.

Any helmet they have is likely a rebadged basic bitch scorpion or bell helmet id guess. Dot is basically minimum to sell and you would want an ece or schnell rated, bonus if it has mips.

I love Indian scouts at least by looks. While its no heavy bike, might be a little peppy for a newbie, hopefully you've taken rider course or at least ridden dirt or something.

Imo bike dealers especially most of the cruiser brands are absolute chodes and Id have looked for a lightly used bike, they abound on Facebook etc. As is, you ordered a model/ trim that was supposed to be the full blacked and they messed up, or miscommunication? I wouldn't take the fucking on that. Oh boy 375 in their overpriced shit that is worth far less. Gonna cost that much to black it out professionally unless you do it yourself.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Wasn’t sure where to post this so here it goes. Looking for a beginner dirt bike for an adult, someone who’s never ridden one or a motorcycle before. Any recommendations on brand/model/engine size? Looking for something reliable and if that means it costs more that’s OK.

Sludig

Keep it 250cc and under. Super easy to kill yourself on a 450. Any of the Japanese brands. Dirt bikes and reliable are somewhat antithesis in the sense you are measuring its life in hours before you are redoing top ends etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sublimenerdery

Trakanon Raider
Helmet question answered recently scroll back.

Any helmet they have is likely a rebadged basic bitch scorpion or bell helmet id guess. Dot is basically minimum to sell and you would want an ece or schnell rated, bonus if it has mips.

I love Indian scouts at least by looks. While its no heavy bike, might be a little peppy for a newbie, hopefully you've taken rider course or at least ridden dirt or something.

Imo bike dealers especially most of the cruiser brands are absolute chodes and Id have looked for a lightly used bike, they abound on Facebook etc. As is, you ordered a model/ trim that was supposed to be the full blacked and they messed up, or miscommunication? I wouldn't take the fucking on that. Oh boy 375 in their overpriced shit that is worth far less. Gonna cost that much to black it out professionally unless you do it yourself.
yeah, it was actually the dealer that coached me on how to go to Indian (polaris) to get some comp. i believe the issue is pretty widespread, you can read about it on Indian forums. i think the idea used to be like $200ish that the dealer could then send out the part for black powdercoating. the dealer folks actually seemed a little surprised at the voucher solution. $375 in their branded goods is probably less or about equal to them in actual cost, to your point.
you guys basically validated what i suspected. gonna go a different direction for a helmet. i may actually also just take the chromed shield off and wrap the pipes or put a smaller cheaper shield at the main/likely point of boot contact. i guess i'll use the $375 on gloves and maybe another jacket/sweatshirts, etc.

Sludig

yeah, it was actually the dealer that coached me on how to go to Indian (polaris) to get some comp. i believe the issue is pretty widespread, you can read about it on Indian forums. i think the idea used to be like $200ish that the dealer could then send out the part for black powdercoating. the dealer folks actually seemed a little surprised at the voucher solution. $375 in their branded goods is probably less or about equal to them in actual cost, to your point.
you guys basically validated what i suspected. gonna go a different direction for a helmet. i may actually also just take the chromed shield off and wrap the pipes or put a smaller cheaper shield at the main/likely point of boot contact. i guess i'll use the $375 on gloves and maybe another jacket/sweatshirts, etc.
Unless it expires can also just sit on it for a bit in case you damage something or decide later some of the bike accessories you want like the windscreen as silly as it looks.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
If you started a long roll on already in 6th, it's not going to be particularly quick from 75 to 200 itself in one gear.

Hekotat

If you started a long roll on already in 6th, it's not going to be particularly quick from 75 to 200 itself in one gear.
I gave it the beans from 3rd since I only weighed about 125lbs at the time, not expecting the insane amount of power I was hanging on for dear life but I didn't let off the throttle. It felt like someone was trying to rip me off the thing by my collar, lol. I looked down, panicked and let off the throttle. it was a hell of an experience.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
3rd won’t get you to 204 unless you mean kph. And that’s only a 120 freedom units an hour. 3rd ends at around 130ish.

I’ve got a race flash on my track bike and I’d be impressed if it hit 190mph. They don’t really get over that stock.

Hekotat

3rd won’t get you to 204 unless you mean kph. And that’s only a 120 freedom units an hour.

I went all the way through 6th. I was just saying I couldn't give it full throttle in 1st or 2nd because it would flip due to my inexperience and low weight, I decided not to give it everything it had until 3rd.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Eh, it shouldn’t flip unless you’ve turned the TC off because “You’re a man”. I’ve power wheelied in 5th while still accelerating and it just hovers the front end 6” off the ground by default.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
3rd won’t get you to 204 unless you mean kph. And that’s only a 120 freedom units an hour. 3rd ends at around 130ish.

I’ve got a race flash on my track bike and I’d be impressed if it hit 190mph. They don’t really get over that stock.
What race flash did you get? I'm thinking of getting the brentune stage 1 and was wondering if it's worth it.