Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Empala_sl

shitlord
Post 'em.

Me at Le Mans with my Kawa ZX-6R '09.

rrr_img_890.jpg

rrr_img_890.jpg

rrr_img_890.jpg

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
black_2004_suzuki_sv650s.jpg

didn't ride her at all in 2012. shit.
considering selling.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up my Ruckus finally, gonna need a real helmet come spring time.

Any recommendations on lower end helmets, not crazy cheap, but not stupid expensive. So far I've been looking at Scorpion Exo-750's Dot/Snell rated, Kevlar/Fiberglass, I guess scorpion along with HJC is well regarded as a Tier 2 helmet maker.

Ilum_sl

shitlord
black_2004_suzuki_sv650s.jpg

didn't ride her at all in 2012. shit.
considering selling.
What kind off price are you thinking? I am curious as to how much a bike like that would cost in Germany since I just discovered importing a bike to the Netherlands is pretty easy!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up my Ruckus finally, gonna need a real helmet come spring time.

Any recommendations on lower end helmets, not crazy cheap, but not stupid expensive. So far I've been looking at Scorpion Exo-750's Dot/Snell rated, Kevlar/Fiberglass, I guess scorpion along with HJC is well regarded as a Tier 2 helmet maker.
I would go with what fits your head properly. Go out and try them on before buying anything.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Never rode a bike, but I've heard and want to know if it's just urban legend. If you drop your helmet and it hits a hard surface, like concrete, throw it away and buy a new one, even if you cannot see ANY damage, because your next wreck it could shatter like an egg shell.

Any truth to this?

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Never rode a bike, but I've heard and want to know if it's just urban legend. If you drop your helmet and it hits a hard surface, like concrete, throw it away and buy a new one, even if you cannot see ANY damage, because your next wreck it could shatter like an egg shell.

Any truth to this?
Yes and no. You can't see the damage that you may have caused to the inside of the helmet and have no way of knowing if it is up to par in doing its job. Certain helmet makers like Shoei will allow you to send the helmet in to have it checked and they can then determine if you need to replace it or not. Most manufactures recommend replacing a helmet after a certain time frame, generally 2-4 years, or if you have dropped it. This is most likely for liability reasons.

The helmets are designed like cars in order to give the most protection when in an accident. Just like a car absorbs and deflects the impact, the helmet does this by delaminating or cracking. Its a one and done type of deal.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Where I work they just installed electric pumps we can use for free and I have been eye balling these. In the end my current bike gets 50+ to the gallon so sorta gave up on the idea.
I did the math on a motorcycle forum and you're not really "saving" anything since the cost is still so high. They are starting to get a lot better but I'm staying away for at least another 10 years until we figure out true battery life and better power ratios.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
Yes and no. You can't see the damage that you may have caused to the inside of the helmet and have no way of knowing if it is up to par in doing its job. Certain helmet makers like Shoei will allow you to send the helmet in to have it checked and they can then determine if you need to replace it or not. Most manufactures recommend replacing a helmet after a certain time frame, generally 2-4 years, or if you have dropped it. This is most likely for liability reasons.

The helmets are designed like cars in order to give the most protection when in an accident. Just like a car absorbs and deflects the impact, the helmet does this by delaminating or cracking. Its a one and done type of deal.
At a rally seminar awhile ago someone was saying that keeping your helmet out of the sunlight when storing it helps it last longer, evidently the sun will break down the styrofoam or whatever inside the helmet faster.

Also, I had a street bike now but want to get off-road for the first time. Some friends have been doing parts of the transamerican trail every summer so I'll end up joining them on that. Eventually I think I'd like to do a Central America/South America trip. What I'm looking at now is a used DRZ400 that's street legal because it's decently light, cheap, and there's a retarded amount of aftermarket stuff for them. I was also looking at KTMs, but the downsides are that dealers are scarce and they're more expensive up front. Are there any others I should consider or pros/cons to either of those options?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I am a bmw'r so I might not make the best case, but I would skip KTM all together when considering a long trip. They have many problems. Mainly the fuel pump.

EDIT I've never heard the sunlight thing. Gonna look into it tho.

Goatface

i was surprised to read that most helmet would not pass DOT test after 5-6 years (with little use) and companies like Shoei say to replace them every 3 years

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've been replacing mine every 2-4 years but mostly out of a fashion value not as a need. My current helmet is an Arai that fits me perfectly. I want to go to a Schuberth modular if it fits me properly this year.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I would say no selling shit on the site. Particularly from a pissed off Canadium.