Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I know absolutely NOTHING about motorcycles, but I'm thinking about purchasing this bike here:

Some guy is selling it near me for $4k - which I think I can negotiate to a little bit lower. 2002 R1150r or something - again, I'm a total novice and just wanted to buy something cheap to tool around town with, maybe ride on the weekends etc. Tired of being so thrifty and want a decent hobby to get in to... plus the weather is getting great again haha. Any experience w/ a bike like this or know someone who does? Thanks.
How many miles?

It's a very nice bike. Comfortable, peppy enough for just about anyone, light enough to be an every day rider. Good mileage. If you're used to a more Harley style sitting position it will take you a while to get used to driving this, but in the end, you'll like it better.

Nice looking bike.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
How many miles?

It's a very nice bike. Comfortable, peppy enough for just about anyone, light enough to be an every day rider. Good mileage. If you're used to a more Harley style sitting position it will take you a while to get used to driving this, but in the end, you'll like it better.

Nice looking bike.
Its got about 28k miles - seems kind of high, but from what I've been reading its something of a pseudo touring bike (the owner just bought an r1200r, and is keeping the luggage/saddle bags and all that jazz). Will definitely try to negotiate with him a bit more, see if he'll toss in a windshield (has 2 of them). My only hesitation is maintenance on a BMW anything... I guess a lot of people do the routine stuff on their own, but its a bit daunting for someone w/ zero experience hehe.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Its got about 28k miles - seems kind of high, but from what I've been reading its something of a pseudo touring bike (the owner just bought an r1200r, and is keeping the luggage/saddle bags and all that jazz). Will definitely try to negotiate with him a bit more, see if he'll toss in a windshield (has 2 of them). My only hesitation is maintenance on a BMW anything... I guess a lot of people do the routine stuff on their own, but its a bit daunting for someone w/ zero experience hehe.
A couple of things:

With mileage like that, it's a virtually new bike. Keep the oil clean, do the maintenance, and those things will go 300K miles.

Find a guy. A good guy. One who does BMW bikes for a living. He'll let you watch him do the maintenance. After one time, you'll do your own oil changes. After one time, you'll do your own brake changes. Batteries? No big deal. Change it yourself. Honestly, all you need to do is try. The worst thing that can happen is that you start the repair, can't finish it, and you pay someone to do the repair you were going to pay someone to do before you tried.

Get a windshield. It keeps the wind off your chest, makes riding a lot more fun in my opinion. Especially if you're ever going to get on the highway with this bike.

It's a good bike, and 4K isn't a terrible price. Show up with 3,200$ cash.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
A couple of things:

With mileage like that, it's a virtually new bike. Keep the oil clean, do the maintenance, and those things will go 300K miles.

Find a guy. A good guy. One who does BMW bikes for a living. He'll let you watch him do the maintenance. After one time, you'll do your own oil changes. After one time, you'll do your own brake changes. Batteries? No big deal. Change it yourself. Honestly, all you need to do is try. The worst thing that can happen is that you start the repair, can't finish it, and you pay someone to do the repair you were going to pay someone to do before you tried.

Get a windshield. It keeps the wind off your chest, makes riding a lot more fun in my opinion. Especially if you're ever going to get on the highway with this bike.

Great advice, appreciate it bro! Will update if/when I pull the trigger. +1!

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
Below are a couple of bikes I owned in the 80's. The CBX was the first bike I ever bought brand new and I absolutely loved it. I was a die hard two stoke guy for a few years before switching to 4 stokes.

I have some more bike pics at work, I'll upload them tomorrow including my current ride.

rrr_img_14105.jpg
rrr_img_14106.jpg

rrr_img_14105.jpg

rrr_img_14106.jpg

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
That first bike looks really clean, like the styling of it.

Re: the 1150R - went and saw the guy after work... the fucker sold it this afternoon for 4k. Talked to him 2 hours before he apparently sold it - the least he could have done was call me! Still on the hunt for that bike.

Another one I was looking at was the Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure. Seems to be a decent entry level bike I could do some short range touring on, as well as tooling around town. Afraid the Bimmer has an engine too big for my needs (though I'm sure after a year w/ a 650cc I'll be thirsting for more!). Will update thread if/when I pull the trigger. I'm mapping out tours before purchasing the fucking bike, haha.

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
Never thought I would ever own a Harley but I fell in love with the XR1200X and this is my current ride with minimal customization. I have since swapped out the mirrors pictured here with the typical round bar end mirrors and that does clean up the front a lot better. She doesn't sound anything like a Harley with the FMF Apex Slip On's which is a good thing
wink.png

rrr_img_14213.jpg
rrr_img_14214.jpg

wink.png

rrr_img_14213.jpg

rrr_img_14214.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Never thought I would ever own a Harley but I fell in love with the XR1200X and this is my current ride with minimal customization. I have since swapped out the mirrors pictured here with the typical round bar end mirrors and that does clean up the front a lot better. She doesn't sound anything like a Harley with the FMF Apex Slip On's which is a good thing
wink.png

rrr_img_14213.jpg
rrr_img_14214.jpg
I've got to tell you, and I mean no disrespect to anyone else's bike, but that's the prettiest Harley I've ever seen. Very nice! Black exhaust is beautiful, the line on the seat-pan surround is awesome. Like the blacked-out motor, too.

Also glad to hear that it isn't loud like most Harleys. Forgive me, but loud pipes don't save lives. They're an option that you like. I don't like forcing my opinions down other people's throats. If your opinion is that you like loud pipes, thanks a bunch for forcing that opinion down my throat every time you accelerate.

wink.png

rrr_img_14213.jpg

rrr_img_14214.jpg

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
Also glad to hear that it isn't loud like most Harleys. Forgive me, but loud pipes don't save lives. They're an option that you like. I don't like forcing my opinions down other people's throats. If your opinion is that you like loud pipes, thanks a bunch for forcing that opinion down my throat every time you accelerate.
This should give you an idea of what it sounds like although mine seems to sound a lot deeper than this guys.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This should give you an idea of what it sounds like although mine seems to sound a lot deeper than this guys.

Still sounds more like a Harley than any bike I'll get. But that's just my own bullshit opinion. My bike is as quiet as a car, and it lets me hear the cars around me.

That's a nice bike, though. I'd love to try it out. Looks like you sit up a lot more on it than most Harleys, too. Nice.

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
I owned this speed triple for 8 years and really enjoyed it but as I am getting older, 50 this year, I wanted something a little less aggressive and bought the XR1200X linked earlier.

rrr_img_14227.jpg

rrr_img_14227.jpg

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Here's mine.

1989 GSXR 750
All mods and tuned by me.

IMAG0021_zps9d98c04c.jpg

IMAG0019_zpsbac62baf.jpg

Before I give it a rough as ruts paint job.
4E4A1913-Edit-Edit_zps7014f7e1.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What kind of jackets are guys rocking?

I am currently looking at this one:http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...ition-2-jacket

It is for sale at EUR 310,00 at my local dealer, seems like a great deal!
Just a textile jacket from Icon. In foul weather I have an Icon rain jacket and pants that fit over it. Even if it's not raining I find that the windproof-ness of the rain jacket keeps me a lot warmer than with just with mesh jacket. I don't like most biker fashion, the fixation on skulls and crosses and stuff is fucking retarded. All my gear is plain black, although my mesh pants are red I guess.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
A couple of things:

This is good advice. That amount of mileage is actually pretty low for the bike and the year. It's ten years old and its got 28k...even my friends on sport bikes will do 3k/yr (if they somehow manage to keep a bike for ten years). I bought an R1100 awhile ago as my first bike and have had a good time working on it. $4k is good, at that price you probably won't feel too bad if you fuck something up while wrenching on it or drop it (both of which I've done on my $3k bike). BMW people in general are really helpful and you can subscribe to the ibmwr mailing lists for advice. I got a German master mechanic here who works out of his farm about 45 minutes away and I think most people have similar relationships across the US.

Yes get a windshield for distance driving. Inside the city or short trips it's not too bad without it and I think it looks better.

Ilum_sl

shitlord
Ended up getting this set-up, suit is from craigslist the rest is store bought, I am especially pleased with the Icon Patrol boots (sorry for the shitty pic).
rrr_img_27824.jpg

rrr_img_27824.jpg

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Just went and looked at a bike. Picking it up tomorrow night!
biggrin.png
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 for $1200, with 24k on it. Looks amazing, brand new tires, new front brakes. Guy selling it has a garage full of bikes, including three Honda interceptor 500's, a Honda CX500 Turbo, and a modern BMW for his commuter. Made me pretty happy to see the guy is serious about bikes.

Two roommates already have bikes, other roommate has been shopping around like me, we're doing the bike course at the end of the month.

rrr_img_27861.jpg

biggrin.png

rrr_img_27861.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
^ That's a nice looking bike.

Kind of been wondering when this thread was going to get a good bump seeing as summer is here. Going to look at bikes tomorrow for no real reason. Down to a Ninja 250 I bought for my girlfriend several years ago. My problem is I never can decide which style bike I want. On one hand the totally impractical is always a good option then I always back off and go practical then it's not near as much fun.