Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I wanted to do Sturgia in my run (even threw the main quest item at them) but their king just keeps getting taken captive by sea raiders and all of their lords have like sub 30 armies. I didn't know how to make an army at the time so didn't know how I could start taking castles as such. Ended up switching to the Khanate since they only had one city left. About 3 days after I joined all of his lords but like 3 left him. Feels good so far but kinda bummed I burned the main quest on a different faction.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Apparently there are over 200 armor/weapons items locked out because they were flagged as multi-player and it pulled them from the single player campaign accidentally. You can fix these manually or with a mod. Details here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Apparently there are over 200 armor/weapons items locked out because they were flagged as multi-player and it pulled them from the single player campaign accidentally. You can fix these manually or with a mod. Details here.

Oh yeah I modded that too. Find/replace all in a text editor is easy. Of all the mods I made that's probably the most risky, who knows what kind of ramifications that has besides just putting more items on vendors.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In case anyone is curious about Bannerlord and is thinking about picking it up, don't, lol, at least not yet.

It'll get better, but right now it's in rough shape.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
In case anyone is curious about Bannerlord and is thinking about picking it up, don't, lol, at least not yet.

I'm thinking of shelving it for a few patches just to not get burnt out on it while it's in this state. I think it's a game I can enjoy a good bit with some more polish.

Denaut

Trump's Staff

Thanks. I've been following the game here and on Youtube and have not been impressed.

It is very disappointing that in 10 years they somehow managed to not solve (or make worse) all sorts of design and AI problems. Clearly they were primarily working on the engine, graphics, and UI but those were never the largest problems with Warband. The game never looked good, and it was always the gameplay (flawed as it was) that was so enticing.

So rather than spend that decade refining and elevating the core gameplay elements it appears they were bogged down in proprietary tech that doesn't really matter. This is a classic problem I've seen over and over again (Bethesda frequently makes the same mistake for example).

• 2Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player

Thanks, I know nothing of the previous game and saw this thinking "That looks interesting"

I'll wait a bit.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
hideout mechanics are kindof lame.

ok, I have an army of 56 people.
bandits have a hideout with 4 groups of 7.

So whats the plan? run them down like dogs, via horsemen and archers? nah. we sneak in with 8 random people from the army, and attack them 8 v 28.
Also, if we do manage to kill them and get to the boss, we walk up to them face to face, and enter directly into melee combat, with a bunch of archers.

The hell is this bullshit?
Sounds exactly like the old mount and blade hideouts.

Haven't played this new game.

But if it's anything like the old one the troops that get selected to attack the hideout come from the top of your troop list.

Old hideouts usually had a bunch of archers so picking troops with shields tended to work.

Also if companions are still a thing they were usually the ones you would bring to help break in since they can be your strongest units when well equipped.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
The more I get into this game, the more I'm getting a "meh" feeling about it and my play hours in Warband is 4 digits.

Granted, I think they did a pretty nice job of improving the user experience (except loading screens for everything). It's a much more beautiful game and a more pleasant interface. There are also some new concepts that show some promise as well. If they could have done that and brought along some Diplomacy/PoP/Nova Aetas/DLC features, they would have a win. Unfortunately, they have dicked it up on virtually every other level, trading out gameplay and depth for eye candy.

It's truly EA and it shouldn't be. I think I'm going to set it aside for a couple of months and see what happens. They've been fixing a lot of crash bugs- hopefully they also have a plan to flesh it out sometime this decade.

After nearly 30 hours of gameplay I must say I am disappointed in Bannerlords. I get that the Game is EA. But I just have to wonder how they managed to have so little content in the game after 5-10 years of development. But let's start off with the good.

Bannerlord looks and feels amazing. Where Warband never felt like a real world and was all wonky, Bannerlord has amazing graphics, citys full of live, taverns with musicians playing you a song while you play bordgames and battles which feel much more exciting, messy and fun. But also have much more tactictal depth to them than Warband. Especially Sieges are incredible in Bannerlord. Overall the engine is a perfect framework for a great game.

Sadly there is not much more than this framework. There are some new features like the clan and kingdom tabs, the new recruitment system, Influcence Points which can be used to gather armys or take a hand in your kingdoms decision making and a whole new skill/level system.

They all work just fine after one got used to them, but these new systems are not that much better than the warband systems they replace to make up for all the missing content that was in Warband or in its mods. For example:

- You can't interact with Lords and Notable NPCs. Yes you can talk to them, but 95% off them just don't have anything to say. You can't even ask them questions about themselves and their clan/kingdom yet. Furthermore there are no voicelines what so ever.

- You can already buy workshops and caravans, but you can't interact with them aswell. A Caravan will just travel around on its own and maybe make some money, maybe not. You have no say in where it goes, what it trades or which/how many troops it recruits. The same with workshops, once you buy them they will simply spit out some money every day and that's it. You can't give them raw material or take the products. You furthermore don't see how the calculation for profit is done. It just sometimes gives you money and sometimes costs you. Both Native Warband and MB:WFAS had better systems than this.

- Clan members (or Heroes) can be sent out to form their own party. Once again, you don't have any say in where they go or what they do. You just have to pay their wage while they wander around and probably get caught by bandits sooner or later. Warband with the diplomacy mod did a great job with assigning patrols and recruitment jobs through your castellan. Bannerlords way of dealing with this matter is bad compared to this age old mod for a worse engine than Bannerlords.

- Developing your castles and towns does not grant you anything really. Castles are utterly useless at the moment. You can't trade there, you can't recruit there and they give virtually no money to you (120 denars for a castle + one village, while the 80 unit garrison to protect the place costs 650 denars a day.) Towns give a little bit more money (680 for a quite poor town and 2 villages) but not enough to have a good garrison there (200 mid tier units would cost round about ~1600 denars a day.) While there is a development screen for Towns and Castles (not for villages though), none of the buildings feel really usefull. All they do is balance out the system of secruity, food, loyalty and prosperity. But the system is so one-dimensional, and none fluid, it does not feel like it actually brings anything to the game besides the need to balance itself out. Both Native Warband and in particular mods like Nova Aetas had much more complex and rewarding development systems.

- Ships are not a thing anymore. While Naval Invasion finally implemented proper Ships and Ports, they are simply gone in Bannerlord.

- Kingdom creation is locked behind a tedious story quest and does not work properly. There is no real diplomacy in this game. Pretty much everything Warbands Diplomacy mod added to the game is missing. And this mod was the most downloaded and played mod for a good reason. These features should have been in Native Warband already. Not having them in Bannerlord is a joke.

- There are loading screens for everything. Entering a city, talking to someone, leaving a city, engaging bandits. Everything that is more than just walking around the map has a loading screen.

- Building your own village, castle or hideout (A feature from Naval Invasion or many Warband mods like Nova Aetas) seems to be impossible. I am not sure on this one, but I have not seen any indication that you could.

- While fighting a siege is amazing, sieging in itself is boring. All the cool tactic features from Naval Invasion are gone. All you can do now is click a build slot for either a ram, a tower or a siege engine. Once built the siege engines will just fire at a random target and give you no way of controlling them (while sieging, in Battle you can control them). As a defender it is even more boring since you can't even chose which siege enginges you build. They will be build automaticly. All you can do is sally out, try to break out and request a parley, which has not worked for me once thusfar.

- Smithing is in the game and it works. It is just very tedious, because you can't simply craft a sword. You first have to do several steps of refining and smelting and refining and smelting before you will have the material to craft a weapon. Wouldn't be to bad if there wasn't a cooldown on doing ANY smithing related things. Once you've done a couple of refines or smelted some weapons, you gonna have to rest. Just walking around on the map doesn't count. You will need to stay at a city or village before you can do it all over again. And you will have to do this a lot. Because the only way to get higher tier weapon recipies is through crafting/smelting. So before you can eventually build the weapon of your dreams, you will most likely have crafted at least 20-40 crappy swords and spent hundreds of days waiting for your cooldown. Furthermore, armor smithing is not a thing.

- Heroes or Clanmembers are in the game aswell. But they are generic. No fleshed out companions that you will recognize on your second playthrough. Just random generated NPCs with random names. They also don't seem to level up at all. None of my 4 companions had a level up after 500 days of ingame time. They don't even get skill-ups. Most of them have gotten a 0 to 1 increase in some skills, but no real advancements in their key skills. My surgeon who accompanies me for around 450 days now increased her medicine from 60-63 and that is the most anyone has gotten.

- You don't have limited inventory space anymore. Technically there is an encumberance system instead of a slot system like in Warband, but if you have enough mules and other horses, that won't matter anymore. I didn't sell any of my loot for the last 15 hours of gameplay and run around with enough grain to feed my 100 man army for 500 days.

- You won't find any good armor and diversity is kinda low. While there are quite a lot of different options for armor and weapons, it just does not feel diverse at all. The random prefixes from warband are gone, meaning every weapon is just as good as it is. No cracked Hauberk or tempered two-hander anymore. So anything below the top tier choices is pretty much useless and should never be picked up. But you do have to wear bad armor for most off the game anyways because there simply is no good armor in the game. The amount of good armor I found through fighting ~100 battles and visiting couple hundred citys is round about 15. Not even just chest armor. All armor combined. And money was not of the essence for me, since I got 400k denars from workshops being broken befor the day 1 patch. So I could have bought everything. There just was nothing to buy.

-Quests are turned in automatically, which takes a lot of immersion away and makes it feel less rewarding to actually finish a quest. Quests also don't reward renown, which ties into my next point.

-Instead of having a renown soft-lock for joining a faction you now have a hard-lock. You need 50 renown to become a mercanary and 125 or 150 to become a vasall. This one is not to bad. Takes away some realism but gives you a clear goal. What is bad though is the fact that you don't get renown for anything but battles. And since you can't join battles between two fighting lords, which was by far the best way to get renown and relations in warband, you will have to hunt bandits. A lot of bandits. With an average of 0.5-1.5 renown for most bandit parties, it takes a long while to get to the cap. This opens up two new flaws.

- Movementspeed is broken. At the start, when you are not decked out on horses and mules, you won't catch anything. It takes literal days to hunt down one bandit party. But once you have enough horses or cavalary, it turns to the other extreme. You will catch anything and won't be caugth by enemies ever.

-Since the best way to get renown is fighting bigger parties, it always was a good tactic in Warband to snipe a weak lord, take him prisoner maybe raid a village or two and then make peace with the nation after getting your ransom. In Bannerlord you can still snipe weak lords., and there are far more Lords with 30 stacks than with 100 stacks, but you will only get 400-1400 gold ransom for them. And furthermore you can't make peace that easy. I attacked a lord in my first game and it took a payment of 70k to get peace. Made my safegame useless, since you can't join a faction if you are at war with anyone they aren't currently fighting.

-The map is all wrong. Yes I know that Bannerlord is set hundreds of years before Warband. But nevertheless, cities should not change location in that timeframe. The geography looks completly different. The Gamescom 2019 footage showed a map of the shape of Calradia with the towns being in roughly the same spot they were in Warband. In the EA version however, You don't even recognize old Calradia anymore and towns have teleported through space. Sargot is now in the place of Veluca, and Ocs Hall (Uxkhall) has taken Sunos spot.

-The skillsystem is indirect and hard to follow. You can't level up your skills anymore. They now level passive while you do them. So riding gets exp when you ride on a horse and smithing gets exp when you smith. But there is no clear way of tracking what gives exp in the first place and how much it gives you. With a lot of cool features (Like the ability to trade fiefs, building fire balista and the trainer perk) being locked behind skill requirements, the new system quickly grows frustrating to the point where I simply ignore my skill tab most of the time.

Overall it is just sad to see how many features are not present at all or badly implemented. I get that the game is EA and I get that Bannerlord is a different game than Warband. But especially if you compare Bannerlord to Warband mods like Perisno, PoP oder Nova Aetas, it is just unbelievable how small mod teams of 1-10 people who work on these projects in their freetime, manage to have a lot more features and working systems in their mods than Bannerlord has after so many years of development by a team of 60 people doing this as a fulltime job. But since the framework of the game is good afterall, I have high hopes in the modding community to deliever what taleworlds did not.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Good news about most complaints is that, with a few exceptions, the game's framework and engine is solid. It's just the tuning on a lot of stuff is uhh, way off. It feels like they just barely got the framework in place and did almost no user-level testing of singleplayer before the early access.

• 2Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Is there any way to tell how much I need to supply my smithy? Is it just hardwood and ore? As long as they have some it's good, or should I sell tons to the city?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is smithing worth doing anything with?
Probably not.

I imagine it provides the only source of high quality gear, but right now the amount of effort that it takes to level it makes the time to payoff beyond what most people will ever see. Right now in the singleplayer game a faction will snowball and take over the entire world within a short time period making the game kinda dead. You'll still be crafting iron dildos by the time the game is essentially over.

If you mod the game to speed leveling and remove the smithing stamina, then maybe it's worth it, dunno.

• 2Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Smithing is super profitable, in terms of breaking down low tier tools into iron. Sickles/hammers. 40g as is... 120g in crude iron/hardwood..
and then, I think upgrading ore>crude>wraught>iron>steel etc is all profitable as well.

go ahead and use companions stam for this. high END ones are best, since they can rank up smithing as well, and unlock more efficient smelting.

As for actually crafting weapons? t1 is def not. Maybe higher teirs are worthwhile..

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The amount of work they've done this week to improve Bannerlord makes me wonder where the fuck these busy beavers have been for 8 years.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The amount of work they've done this week to improve Bannerlord makes me wonder where the fuck these busy beavers have been for 8 years.

this seems like pretty much the new normal, especially for heavily mod-able games - drop an early access and fix as the complaints come in then coast until modders fix the fundamentals then $$$ until 5-10 years later when you repeat the process

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

I don't think they did any testing besides that multiplayer only thing.

Those 200 items being locked in singleplayer would have gotten noticed, along with a lot of other stuff that is so easy to fix users can do it themselves.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Found a companion who is probably the first bannerlord woman who doesn't look like she was conceived in an industrial microwave. And her backstory text is the precise level of succinctness I want from all my companions.

1585965885333.png

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users