Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Someone also mentioned workshop change was reverted but in my game even well supplied I'm still only getting ~170ish a day for a woodshop

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can someone tldr the real appeal of this game and why you burn 800 hours in it please?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can someone tldr the real appeal of this game and why you burn 800 hours in it please?
I enjoy the combat a lot, there's just something endlessly fun about riding my horse around hitting fools that is unique in Mount and Blade. There's a lot of interesting possibilities with a sandbox game that is largely randomized, but that isn't realized in Bannerlord yet. The campaign system is complex and interesting though I largely ignore it.

The modding makes the game varied while still maintaining the core gameplay value.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've been spending a lot of time looking at the game's code. It's rare that a game is effectively open source like this where much of the game is built on .NET and they ship open binaries.

The game, by default, lets you have 3 companions and gives you one more companion per clan rank. I removed that cap and collected all the companions (19 in my game), but when I was poking around the game's code I found out the number of companions (called wanderers) is randomized also. I was curious what the range would be and looked into the code to find it's a bell curve with a standard deviation with a mean of 25 and whose standard deviation of 2.418 (which is based on the number of character templates, the current game has 67).

The curve looks like this:
5CKWTtD.png

This is kind of useless information because without mods it doesn't really matter if there are 20 or 30 wanderers out there, you'll only be able to be buddies with a few of them. I just thought it was interesting.

If you're interested you can look at the character templates in spspecialcharacters.xml.

I'm hoping they build onto this character template system with more set characters. It's nice that it's random and unique, but it's also pretty boring. A game needs to spend tremendous amounts of effort to make random characters interesting, with the only game I can think of that succeeded was the Shadow of War. I still miss playing with one of my randomized orcs in that game, everytime he rolled onto the scene shit would just go crazy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also there's zero reason for someone curious about bannerlord to start playing now. Shit is not ready yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

found a bug? exploit? workaround..

so I declared myself Empress of the North, the Truth Heir Apparent.. after taking a Castle.

now, then I picked up a quest to train some solders for one of my new villages. Total shitshow, running around killing looters trying to get these idiots to rank up. Failing for days, getting the REST of my army to upgrade.. I had the idea. Lets dump ALL My troops into the garrison, except for these borrowed assholes, who then I can go attack some looters with. since ONLY they are going to get exp, they should level up. Failed the quest anyway, since I had this bright idea the day it failed, I guess...

but heres the thing, When I went back to pull my troops out of the garrison, I noticed something odd.. some of my troops were "missing.".
Where did my 20 Forest bandits go? Where did my mauraders go?

wait a sec, where did 20 Battanian Fians come from?

Discipline trait in leadership is BUGGED. but it seems if you Garrison, bandit troops that are ready to rank up, they rank up to the Noble troops.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Something in the latest patch fucked this for me. After ~20 mins of playing my CPU and GPU usage go to 100% =/

Zaide

TLP Idealist
My biggest gripe is the lack of a real notification system. You'll be running around doing something, head back to your castle only to find it was captured while you were away. If you don't catch it in the small box on the left before it vanishes you'll have no idea.

They need a system like Stellaris where when you're area is being attacked you get a prompt which you must acknowledge to continue w/ the game.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
My biggest gripe is the lack of a real notification system. You'll be running around doing something, head back to your castle only to find it was captured while you were away. If you don't catch it in the small box on the left before it vanishes you'll have no idea.

They need a system like Stellaris where when you're area is being attacked you get a prompt which you must acknowledge to continue w/ the game.

Communication lines were cut and your home base was all out of Pigeons!

• 1Like

Caliane

Communication lines were cut and your home base was all out of Pigeons!
a distance based notification system like Starsector would be great. in that, its space, and news like war, market updates, quests/bounties emanate from the local system of origin in real time. so, if your far away it takes longer to get to you.

Similar here. should be news updates when you visit cities, castles.

but, the issue here is just there is no "history". you get attack as some message pops up and shits gone... no idea what it said..

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
a distance based notification system like Starsector would be great. in that, its space, and news like war, market updates, quests/bounties emanate from the local system of origin in real time. so, if your far away it takes longer to get to you.

Similar here. should be news updates when you visit cities, castles.

but, the issue here is just there is no "history". you get attack as some message pops up and shits gone... no idea what it said..
Would be interesting if the information was conveyed on the world map somehow. Where an event would filter out based on time like you said, and update the world map with the current state and some information on how out-dated the information was.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

XP in tournaments is a nice change

Last edited:

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>

The first two fiefs I received, I didn't even see any sort of notification.

Also, my bitch empress finally gave me a town after I took a bunch of shit for the kingdom and now I have almost all of the buildings upgraded, no raids, no bandits, villages good, making 5k+ per day and I can't get enough fucking food into the city so my garrison just keeps going down. Shitload of food in the market but not enough for a garrison of 90 men apparently.

There is no fucking way these guys did any sort of real play testing of single player. I'm glad to see they're patching crash issues but they need to get on with tuning and features. Hopefully they have a plan.

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
I like the combat but 10 years development to be able to take a knee is a long time. The BL native hit boxes are fucky, but they are in warband native still and Napoleonic Wars is even worse.

This series is all about the mods. I’m here specifically for the next mmo type mod to replace warband’s c-rpg mod. Siege, skirmish and captain mode are actually a lot of fun though, especially if you group with friends and que up.

Caliane

higher teir units need to cost more. Especially the upgrade/training cost.

Right now, I'm sure no one even blinks an eye at upgrading units. only time is maybe when upgrading to horse units, or warhorse units, early in the game, when you can't afford them quite as much.

Which of course is another issue. the horse issue. free horses everywhere. armies of horses. 50 man armies, with 120 sumpters, and 70 riding horses... horses need to eat food.

If horses eat food, suddenly you need to choose how much you can carry at once, instead of just taking a billion horses everywhere. or, taking those horses will suddenly cost a heck of alot more in food.

higher teir units costing ALOT more, will help balance out battanian fians, khans guard, etc too.
xbows in reality, are cheap, and easy to use. you can hand them out to peasants and fight battles. Bows, require training and strength. so, low teir xbow troops should be cheap and strong. While high teir bow troops should cost ALOT more to train, but also be much more effective. This is how units should be balanced.

This would greatly balance out party caps as well. (which of course greatly benefits an army of high teir units) if a battanian fian cost 10k to upgrade to a champ, we would all think twice. seriously, upgrading units should cost x10.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
higher teir units need to cost more. Especially the upgrade/training cost.

Right now, I'm sure no one even blinks an eye at upgrading units. only time is maybe when upgrading to horse units, or warhorse units, early in the game, when you can't afford them quite as much.

Which of course is another issue. the horse issue. free horses everywhere. armies of horses. 50 man armies, with 120 sumpters, and 70 riding horses... horses need to eat food.

If horses eat food, suddenly you need to choose how much you can carry at once, instead of just taking a billion horses everywhere. or, taking those horses will suddenly cost a heck of alot more in food.

higher teir units costing ALOT more, will help balance out battanian fians, khans guard, etc too.
xbows in reality, are cheap, and easy to use. you can hand them out to peasants and fight battles. Bows, require training and strength. so, low teir xbow troops should be cheap and strong. While high teir bow troops should cost ALOT more to train, but also be much more effective. This is how units should be balanced.

This would greatly balance out party caps as well. (which of course greatly benefits an army of high teir units) if a battanian fian cost 10k to upgrade to a champ, we would all think twice. seriously, upgrading units should cost x10.

early on I was getting rid of horses because I just assumed they cost extra food

• 1Like

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Patch today reduced horse loot by 65%, along with nerfing tournaments to be almost completely useless outside of early game. Max bet is now only 150 and prize value capped at 2000.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Patch today reduced horse loot by 65%, along with nerfing tournaments to be almost completely useless outside of early game. Max bet is now only 150 and prize value capped at 2000.

The horse change is reasonable but the arena shit is dumb, if anything bets should have been increased and top tier tournament matches should have been made more difficult.

I established my own kingdom in my second campaign and decided to curb some snowballing by promptly besieging the largest kingdom. I seriously underestimated how much they could just throw wave after wave at me. Even if I only lose 10-15 men per battle I will be destroyed in a few more assaults.

Caliane

yeah, you need vassals asap. with charm previously broken, that was hard as hell. granted now, its kindof just bugged the other way. walk around giving 1 denar to lords to rank up charm..

My update in that last post. skipping quite a bit of time.
after I left Batt, to take mecalovea Castle. I kindof hit and ran took a couple more. take one. payoff for peace.

Vlandian went on the offensive and hit Battania hard. While Southern empire crushed khuzite. wiped them out. 6k down to 200.
Then Southern empire turned west. started crushing vlandia, who was pushing 7k power.
Battania was down to 400 or so... with just Rhotea left. but, that was enough to keep em alive.
While Southern empire was hitting vlandia, taking city after city. Battania declared war on them too. Vland is down to 3k now. Battania actually took some back...
I had sturgia go random hostile on me, during this.. And I used it to take a castle, but it was hard fought. I lost a bit.
But I also hit rank 4. and enacted the +army size policies. sturgia going to war, I had 150man party size. +2 companion parties at 66 each... after.. 320 party size, and +3 companion parties. t

I saw this was the last chance. southern empire is hostile vs two at the same time, and crushing vlandia, the last real threat.
I had a few options.
1. I could go hostile, and take local castles. 2. I could go down there, go hostile and aide the fighting directly.
I choose the later. thinking, my army is much better at smashing open field fights, and if I smashed their armies, I could clean up undefended armies on the way home.

however, I was still only at about 120 units. and 2 allied parties. I had not gotten a chance to grab a new companion yet. (ended up just taking the healer I had i my core party, and giving her a party.) and just grabbed every recruit I could along the way..

This strategy failed almost utterly... I got down there, and found 1 decent army. a 200 man one I did crush. But the rest were like 5-6 loose 50 man parties that just ran away. There was no fight I could really aid.. so I turned back, and did take two castles close to home... But in doing this, southern empire and its 231232 fucking vassels hit one of my original castles.
and then a second one, and while I was taking one of those back, took one of the ones I had just grabbed back... took 2 lost 2.. I quickl made peace, as 2 more of my castles were under attack.. I lost a decent amount of units. And did almost nothing to stop the tide.

morale crushed. I was almost ready to give up. I couldn't see much of a way to stop the Empire. I considered the only way would likely to massively abuse the attack, make peace..

But then, a random southern empire army runs by. I stop and say, hi friend, did you know I am the true Empress of the North? Holy shit. -60 relations, and it works. Clan Aroros bends the knee. And brings 3 armies. 130 man, 80 and 70. lol.
I had been trying to get a Vassal for days. nothing..
Horselord1091.jpg

So, I gather my party before adventuring forth, and immediately sack Epicortia, then turn and take back Mecalovea Castle. I gave that to my new friends. sure they hate me, but that was my dear home. having the vassels here was key. as soon as I took the city, I disbanded the army. letting loose 4 60ish man parties, while I went and took the castle alone. the parties kept them off my back, and from hitting other castles a bit.

Horselord1091a.jpg

And here is Empress Rhagea coming to take Epicrotea back...
60k the price of 1 charm and peace.. lol. (also the game keeps crashing now.)

Crash does seem to be related to making peace with her giant fuck off party. multiple reloads, every time I talk to her, make peace,a nd try to move on the map, crash.
I was able to revert to a save right after taking the castle, and found a southern empire noble hanging out in my throneroom in Epicrotea for some reason... talked to him, made peace, and been moving around, without crashes.

So yeah, one city may not exactly be saving the world from Empress mommy yet. but, the vassals make all the difference. when I took the castle, with the vassals loose, they ran off and starting attacking villages, and other armies. Distractions. Enemy armies are going to be responding to that, instead of taking castles, or going after me instantly now.

Last edited: