Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Personal Warband Mod ranking:

PoP
A Clash of Kings
Warsword Conquest (This is my next one I'm going to play through completely when they do a new release)
Gekokujo

Warband is one of my favorite games of all time. The gameplay is so satisfying I can enjoy repeating playthroughs in multiple different mods.

I'm kind of excited for Bannerlord, but am afraid that they won't get the combat/gameplay right, and the modability won't work as well. But then again the modding system in Warband is retarded anyway, and only works because the community worked so hard on it.

Wrathin3L

Peasant
Personal Warband Mod ranking:

PoP
A Clash of Kings
Warsword Conquest (This is my next one I'm going to play through completely when they do a new release)
Gekokujo

Warband is one of my favorite games of all time. The gameplay is so satisfying I can enjoy repeating playthroughs in multiple different mods.

I'm kind of excited for Bannerlord, but am afraid that they won't get the combat/gameplay right, and the modability won't work as well. But then again the modding system in Warband is retarded anyway, and only works because the community worked so hard on it.

Based on everything I've read and watched, if you liked vanilla Warband you'll like Bannerlord as it's pretty much the same game on an improved engine with some added customization, crafting system, and >useable< siege equipment, bar games, criminal syndicates, battle formations (RTS style), etc.

So I'm not sure what you mean by the combat/gameplay comment - it's a direct translation with extras.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Im hopeful but i guess how i feel is tbat warband, strictly speaking, isnt that great of a game and the developers probably arent that talented. But they got real kucky with warband and ill be impressed if they dont botch the sequel.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After thinking about it some, my previous statements might have been a little harsh and judgemental. I'm hopeful and look forward to playing Bannerlord.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That youtube vid did scare me into realizing I really should wait for post release to see how much they did actually improve or not .

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Perhaps I'll have to try that one out then, I've Floris, Gejukoku and PoP'd my playing time over 800 hours, maybe Clash of Kings can push me over 1000.

Wrathin3L

Peasant
Last major release broke the invasions - realizing that ended my last play through. Wasn't worth exporting and modding castle ownerships. One of the factions is perfectly fine and will quickly conquer its starting area regardless, most likely dies out before even grabbing one keep.

Sulrn

Deuces
Still think TLD is better than ACoK.

Also, lead modder for ACOK is a turd nugget.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've got my eye on TLD.

Cozur (ACOK lead mod) is a turd nugget but it's kind of funny to see him be a dick. I mean, he releases content and the mod is generally bug free, so it's all you can ask of someone really.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
So, when you guys say you do a playthrough, do you play until complete world domination? What is the end? I revolted against my king a few game weeks ago and now have two cities, about 4 castles, about half a dozen vassals. I have an experienced cavalry and I'm rolling through every thing I come up against, usually with no or very few losses. But it seems that owning the whole world would be a massive grind.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Owning the whole world is a massive grind whether in vanilla or any other mod. However, it's a grind that doesn't feel like a grind. I've only ever played through Vanilla and Gejukoku till owning the whole map, more often than not I tend to stop 15-20 hours after I'm happy that no other force can oppose me. I'm still going with PoP 3.7063, but it would be at least another 200 hours for me to conquer the whole map, if not longer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So, when you guys say you do a playthrough, do you play until complete world domination? What is the end? I revolted against my king a few game weeks ago and now have two cities, about 4 castles, about half a dozen vassals. I have an experienced cavalry and I'm rolling through every thing I come up against, usually with no or very few losses. But it seems that owning the whole world would be a massive grind.
I don't think I've ever world-dominated a given mod or vanilla more than once, but I've done multiple 'play throughs' of a mod where I basically terminate it after I've pretty much reached God-Tier status.

I don't know how other people play M&B but I pretty much play all the mods the same way and ditch half the mechanics I don't care about. The mechanics are perfectly fine, but not for me.

My playthroughs look like this:
1. Sometimes I'll start totally fresh, other times I'll cheat and give me some fraction of what my previous character was. Ex: high archery skills, high non-combat skills etc.

2. I always run without fog of war, and teleport around the map. Everytime I've tried playing legit I get annoyed running around looking enemies.

3. I collect my companions ASAP, and generally don't have non-companion troops. The warhammer mod has like 60 companions which is ridiculous.

4. Once I've got my companions, I'm pretty much in the meat of the game. I spend minimal time outside combat, and enjoy leading cavalry charges to the enemy.

This means I ditch all the army building, travel mechanics etc, which is half the game, but again, I don't care.

In some cases at the end of a campaign I'll lengthen the power curve by adding new enemy types with new weapons. It really becomes interesting when you're fighting a horde of enemies on extremely fast horses who attack very fast and you have to manoeuvre in different ways to win.

the combat in M&B is so satisfying that sometimes it's fun to destroy army after army, castle after castle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
You didn't mention anything about marriage. It seems really important early in the game but it seems to have minimal effect, other than right to rule?

I'm playing Floris Expanded. I don't know how many hours I've logged recently since it uses a non-Steam launcher but it has been a shitload. It has seemed to be really hard to get a good cash flow going until I finally kinged myself. I don't fuck around with archery at all. I use a lance in horseback until it turns into a clusterfuck and then switch to a two-hander, rinse, repeat. Shield and one-hander for sieges. No cheats.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think marriage is more for flavor than anything. I always get married because it's interesting convincing whatever the top family in the game to giving you their daughter. It's super easy when you have a lot of renown, and my playstyle of building up a team of immortal monsters and smashing several armies at once generates massive renown.

Your wife is your entry-way to kingdom management, but you can have another NPC replace her I believe. And I don't think there's any loss of functionality. Again, I'm always married before I try to become a king.

Archery is a lot of fun on horseback with high skill, and it's stupid strong in sieges, especially defending. Even with low skill levels you can pretty much just roll into a siege defense with a bow and slaughter the enemy with it while getting arrows from your fallen archer comrades. Especially funny is when you run out of arrows and your own archers aren't being attacked enough for them to die, so you have to kill them.

On a typical siege defense you should expect to do 50% of the kills during a siege with arrows.

Re: lancing, it's a good way to insta-kill specific targets with relatively low risk, but the kill rate is generally too slow and I can snipe specific targets with a bow so I never use it. On one playthrough of ACoK where enemy archers weren't that dangerous I switched to 2H just so I could have a spare weapon slot for more arrows.