Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I played up to T4 in 1.7.0. It's definitely getting SLOWLY better. The new maps are cool, performance is good, new quests and quality of life improvements.

It's pretty fun up to early-mid game but then it falls apart and becomes very tedious IMO. The economy is fucky and a whole host of features that would make the game much more interesting are either non-existent or half-assed. In my case, I have to play with about 5 or 6 mods to make it enjoyable.

Caliane

I've never given this game a second look, but I watched some 20 minute long youtube video last night and now I'm pretty intrigued.

Do you have to micromanage to be able to win battles, or can I just control+A --> Attack move into the middle of a mob of baddies?
theres a bunch of options for this.

1. you can join another kingdom. and let them command anyway. when in an army, you'll be in charge of a formation.
2. when commanding yourself. you have lots of tools for telling infantry, archers, etc. each what to do. formations, charge, advance, hold arrows. retreat, etc..
3. or you can just hit f6 and let "sergeants' give orders. while you go do your thing, and let them take care of themselves. they will generally do well. just, not do major pincer maneuvers, YOU can do.
4. or invest in "tactics" skill, and never even enter battle at all.

Caliane

Maybe a little bit of both I guess? Based on what I saw in the video yesterday, it looks like you can build up your economy, recruit solders, gear them up, put them into squads and formations, etc. I'd spend a lot of time doing that, with the pay-off being watching them fight another army and seeing how well they do and what the strengths/weaknesses are.

If that's doable, I'll probably pick this game up. If I have to micro-manage my squads to make them use stimpaks, statis fields or force flanking maneuvers, I'd probably end up uninstalling after the first battle.

Warhammer was a disappointment to me for this reason.
its more action oriented then the tactical you are suggesting. you can't loadout your army with gear or anything. higher teir units are better then lesser, but trying to rock paper scissors with special troop types, doesn't mean much either. especially if you are not personally organizing the offense/defense to make use of them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just reading a few pages here while waiting to pick up my woman. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the game for $40. Should I aim for Warband instead?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Doubt i could go back to warband after playing bannerlord.

To me it's just a question of when i play it again. It'll get better. Maybe in 2025 it'll be done.

• 1Solidarity

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Just reading a few pages here while waiting to pick up my woman. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the game for $40. Should I aim for Warband instead?

You just missed the holiday sale. Personally, I would wait for another one. In the meantime, if you don't mind dealing with a little clunkiness in the UI and dated graphics, Warband is a no-brainer. The mod community is pretty vibrant, including some that are "Total Conversion" that add a lot of features, story, etc. Also, the vikings DLC is top notch.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

1.8.0 beta is up.
This a big one. 1.7.2 beta when live a week ago or so. While NO 1.7.3. beta was put up.
and today, instead of 1.7.3beta, we skip to 1.8.0. beta.

tons of fixes, etc.
armor changes, new town art, battle art, gear art.
exp gain changes.
Economy changes.
massive ui changes.
factions will try to recruit you for merc/vassal.
smithing now gives exp by type, and in order. new parts added.
some troop name/gear changes.
chickens how have 5 hp instead of 100.

demand increased. "towns simply consume more trade goods". this will increase workshop profit. and since they are addressing homogenity, trade of rare goods as well
luxury demands reintroduced.

• 1Like

Caliane

I overlooked the modding part too. which is huge.

• We released API documentation for Bannerlord. You can find it here: apidoc.bannerlord.com

• Modders can now define & add different races like Orcs, Elves,... through the skins.xml file. Custom skeleton support has been added for humanoid characters.

Caliane

the
  • Introduced new scene notifications to give more weight to events. They can open automatically or be triggered with a circle notification.
    • Generic: Newborn, Marriage, Heir coming of age, Death from old age, Main hero dies in battle, Clan member death (2 variations), Joined a kingdom, Kingdom created, Kingdom destroyed.
    • Main Storyline: Supported faction defeated, Finding banner pieces (3 variations), Pledge allegiance, Conspiracy (2 variations), Declaring dragon banner.
also, was understated.
its full on cinematics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Love to see new updates! Hopefully they can increase the pace and release it. I played a ton when Early Access first hit and it's really a great game, just need to flesh out the features!

Caliane

here's Stratgaming going over some of the changes. dude has by far the best Bannerlord vids. lots of real testing of skills, exp gain, etc.

Caliane

1.8.0 went to live/stable last week btw.

And, Release date announced.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord will be available on Windows PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles on October 25th, 2022. Pre-orders begin on August 23rd at 4 pm UTC!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So for folks playing 1.8.0, do you think it'll be ready for an October release?

edit: just checked the official forums, folks think the answer to that question is a big fat nope. I'll probably pick it up when the first big mod comes out for the released version.

Last edited:

Caliane

I think that answer is greatly influenced by how much you played warband. Theres aspects of warband not in this game, and theirs people that do nothing but complain about that, regardless of what actually is this one, or is new.

Theres been huge changes and reworks since it first released into EA. Tons of mod stuff is now just base game. but not all.

no banners in bannerlord.

Diplomacy is still greatly lacking. (theres a mod..)

I'm sitting at 714hours according to steam. I do love it. Currently modless honestly. Although theres a few I think are good. diplomacy. RBM.
Theres one that makes more/smaller kingdoms. which is something I think would do the game well. It'd be better if most/all the kingdoms were split into 2. way more factions.

The patching pace has been ok, but its been minor tweaks, crashes, etc mostly. no way a 1 month patch after the very large 1.8 patch, which WAS game changing, would give any real major changes to the game. so, what we have now, is basically going to be release.
so, compared to other games out there? its releasable for sure. Could the game use more time on the burner? yes. could it use some of those warband elements? yes.

• 1Like

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
The most popular multiplayer mod for Mount and Blade Warband has been released for open beta for MnB2 Bannerlord and I'm going to fucking promote it. The original is my most played game from 2010 to 2015ish. The developers have made combat substantially more fluid and less shitty than vanilla.

-create your own character and specialize however you choose
-Level up on the multiplayer crpg 2 battle servers
-make friends or don't
- eventually an online map will appear for a game called "Strategus". Move yourself/armies/groups of RL players across the map to: trade, take territories, merc for money, create lasting blood feuds that last a decade with RL people. The drama is top tier.

Logging in using your steam account with bring you to a very beta character page where you can buy arms and armor for the multiplayer battle server.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The most popular multiplayer mod for Mount and Blade Warband has been released for open beta for MnB2 Bannerlord and I'm going to fucking promote it. The original is my most played game from 2010 to 2015ish. The developers have made combat substantially more fluid and less shitty than vanilla.

-make friends or don't
- eventually an online map will appear for a game called "Strategus". Move yourself/armies/groups of RL players across the map to: trade, take territories, merc for money, create lasting blood feuds that last a decade with RL people. The drama is top tier.

Logging in using your steam account with bring you to a very beta character page where you can buy arms and armor for the multiplayer battle server.
Hell yeah, keep us up to date on this. Glad they're making crpg for bannerlord.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

-make friends or don't

Good to hear that the big modders are give it a go for this game. I think I played Prophesy of Pendor for twice as much time as vanilla Warband (with light mods). Maybe next year is the year to actually pick up this game.

• 1Solidarity