Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have not had this work for me yet despite paying for it. The app is a piece of garbage in every way.

I will try it again but if it fails on me I will be asking for a refund.

Eh? They didn't even start charging us until our first successful use...

Sterling

El Presidente
I was billed before I used mine I think, and there's been 2 times now I couldn't get it to work at all. It would just hang and not finish reserving a ticket regardless of which wifi I used, or regular 4g.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Same. I got it the day before so went on long business travel. I didn't use it for an entire month before I used it. Charged after I used it. Also I have never had problems on my android phone BUT my wife's iPhone has lag when reserving.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I will say that for using the app, I've got to hop onto the mall wifi though and hope it's not being shitty to reserve my tickets though - if I try to 4G with my provider (Sprint) in the Mall it can't get a solid enough signal to do whatever handshaking it does to finalize a ticket preparation. They've not had shitty wifi days for me to bother hopping outside to see if that helped though - might be similar cases of the malls being 4G proof for your providers perhaps?

And I should clarify - they charged us before the cards shipped - but my "rebill date" was set to when I used the card first.

Paid like 6 weeks before I used it the first time - got here after about 4 weeks, used it about 2 weeks later, first renewal date was set for 30 days after the first use.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
If you can’t check in with the app, go into the menu and select to chat with them. They answer immediately and they will check you in for the movie you want. My wife has had to do it twice. Takes no time at all.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
If you can’t check in with the app, go into the menu and select to chat with them. They answer immediately and they will check you in for the movie you want. My wife has had to do it twice. Takes no time at all.

Am I not seeing this "chat" feature? So far my card has worked twice, and been denied three times. All 3 times being denied are at a local chain who's price apparently went up 2 cents. So, when they scan the card it gets rejected saying the balance on the card is .02 short. They won't just let me pay the difference. I email the company about it 1 month ago and they responded 3 days later with a generic "does this solve your problem?" to which I explained it again and told it to keep the ticket open. I haven't heard anything since.

So, 10 days ago I went to the theater to try again, same issue, so I opened the App and went to "Contact" and explained the issue. And got a "We'll be with you as soon as we can" response. 6 days later I typed into it "Not thrilled about this wait time." 4 days later, still haven't heard anything.

I can't seem to find any other chat feature... and the only chain within 50 miles of me isn't working, so I'm only using it on out of town trips currently.

Great concept, but terrible support so far.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Article about MoviePass's business model which I think most of us assumed. They are losing money but are slowly working contracts with studios for promotion and metrics. They are also pressuring theaters for a cut of concessions. For example they claim that MoviePass accounts for 62% of AMC's revenue and threaten to remove them from the app if they don't share.

How Does MoviePass Make Money? We're Starting to Find Out

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They are also pressuring theaters for a cut of concessions. For example they claim that MoviePass accounts for 62% of AMC's revenue and threaten to remove them from the app if they don't share.

Things are starting to heat up between MoviePass and AMC.

MoviePass Vs. AMC: Ticket Service No Longer Covers Chain’s Busiest Theaters; Seeks Better Terms With Exhib Giant

MoviePass has refused to cover the following AMC venues: Empire 25 (New York City NY), Century City 15 (Los Angeles City CA), Mercado 20 (San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CA), Disney Springs 24 (Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne FL), Loews Boston Common 19 (Boston MA-Manchester NH), River East 21 (Chicago IL), Mission Valley 20 (San Diego CA), Tysons Corner 16 (Washington DC (Hagerstown MD), Veterans 24 (Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota) FL) and Loews Alderwood Mall 16 (Seattle-Tacoma WA).

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Go to Help & Feedback, select Contact Support and a chat window will open.

4 weeks since I opened a chat ticket through the app, 5 weeks since I opened a web ticket. Neither one has been replied to yet, but both still show as open an active. I've also posted in both saying "This issue is still not resolved". My lady's tickets are the same.

I paid for a year up front on 2 cards, so $190 and can't go see a movie unless I drive an hour+ to a different city. I really think I would be singing praises about this service if it fucking worked at my god damn theater like its supposed to, but all I can say is buyer beware currently. Which is annoying, because I want to see all of the movies, but feel like an idiot paying for them with this card in my pocket.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
4 weeks since I opened a chat ticket through the app, 5 weeks since I opened a web ticket. Neither one has been replied to yet, but both still show as open an active. I've also posted in both saying "This issue is still not resolved". My lady's tickets are the same.

I paid for a year up front on 2 cards, so $190 and can't go see a movie unless I drive an hour+ to a different city. I really think I would be singing praises about this service if it fucking worked at my god damn theater like its supposed to, but all I can say is buyer beware currently. Which is annoying, because I want to see all of the movies, but feel like an idiot paying for them with this card in my pocket.
If your having this much trouble at this point I'd just charge back.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah if its not working charge back and for god's sakes don't buy the annual pass, this service could die any second and it would be like pulling teeth getting money back if they declare bankruptcy

List of theaters from reddit that have been dropped from MoviePass:

• AMC River East 21 (Chicago, IL)
  • AMC Empire 25 (New York, NY)
  • AMC Loews Boston Common 19 (Boston, MA)
  • AMC Century City 15 (Los Angeles, CA)
  • AMC Downtown Disney 12 (Anaheim, CA)
  • AMC Mission Valley 20 (San Diego, CA)
  • AMC Disney Springs 24 (Lake Buena Vista, FL)
  • AMC Tysons Corner 16 (McLean, VA)
  • AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16 (Lynnwood, WA)
  • AMC Mercado 20 (Santa Clara, CA)
  • AMC Veterans 24 (Tampa, FL)
  • AMC Bradenton 20 (Bradenton, FL)
  • AMC Neshaminy 24 (Bensalem, PA)

At this point subs are basically just leverage against theater chains to try and force some sort of kickback, as long as I can keep racking up reward points its fine by me but I imagine things will explode pretty soon.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
At this point subs are basically just leverage against theater chains to try and force some sort of kickback, as long as I can keep racking up reward points its fine by me but I imagine things will explode pretty soon.

This spring/summer movie season is gonna be a sink or swim test for MoviePass. A lot of big movies coming out in quick succession all summer long.

• 1Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>

They're already getting a percentage of the concessions. The reason they dropped those AMC theaters is because they refused to pay up. Their real money will come as they continue to build a database of viewing habits and visitor demographics to sell to the big production studios, to save them some time and money in choosing which movies to produce, as well as using the information to finance small and independent films because they will know where and when those films will succeed. Basically, bringing the Redbox and Netflix models to movie theaters.

spronk

FPS noob
new plan going into effect tomorrow, ONLY for new customers. With $20 activation fee its better to stay on the current $10/mo plan. They are also starting to go back and cancel people who violated the TOS (buying gift cards, etc) so I imagine things are going to get to a head pretty soon. I would honestly be shocked if MoviePass is still around six months from now, but honestly I expected them to fold by now so what the fuck do I know.
Helios & Matheson Information Technology Inc (NASDAQ:HMNY) - Helios And Matheson Chair, CEO Ted Farnsworth Tells Benzinga MoviePass Prices Are Going Down To $7.95/Month This Friday, Will Be Included In Bundled Package; Subs Will Receive Streaming Service Fandor With Subscription

MoviePass To Offer $7.95 Subscription, Launch Streaming-Bundle Package In Push To Get 5 Million Subscribers

MoviePass on Friday will lower its monthly price from $9.95 to $7.95, in the company’s first bundled package that will include a subscription to streaming service Fandor.

The $7.95 offer, available only to new customers, includes a $19.95 activation fee and one-year access to Fandor, which offers about 5,000 titles.

MoviePass became the fastest growing paid subscription company in tech history, according to Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc (NASDAQ:HMNY) Chairman and CEO Ted Farnsworth, with over two million subscribers in six months.

Farnsworth told Benzinga he expects the latest announcement to push the company to 3-5 million subscribers, which will ultimately have big implications on the box office. The service currently has about 2 million subscribers.

"The big misconception with our model [is that] everybody always assumed it was about making money on the subscription," Farnsworth said Thursday in an interview. "That was never the focus. The focus was on data.

"We're a data company. We are the only company that can actually tell [someone] went to the movie," he said.

This news first appeared on Benzinga Pro. Sign up for a free trial here.

'We're A Data Company' Farnsworth said when he first bought control of MoviePass in August of 2017, it had just 20,000 subscribers. His theory was that you can get millions of subscribers and move people from theater to theater, disrupting an industry "and make money along the way."

More than 5 percent of all movie ticket sales last week came from MoviePass, Farnsworth said. The company has been able to grow with virtually no marketing costs, generating all the buzz through word of mouth.

“The other thing people don’t realize, when you look at a Netflix or Spotify, their cost of acquisition is around $25-$45 per user. Our cost of acquisition per user since we launched in August is zero,” Farnsworth said.

The company is able to drive revenues to the movies it partners with, and is starting to become an essential catalyst for movie studios that want to make sure they have a big opening week.

“We definitely have flipped Hollywood and they are definitely paying attention,” Farnsworth said.

At time of publication, shares of HMNY were trading around $8.60, up 8.4 percent.

spronk

FPS noob
MoviePass.com now offers a new "plan", $7.95/mo plus $19.95 activation fee and you get fandor (streaming service) for "free". HOWEVER, do not sign up for this, people who have are saying they are getting charged a one time $115.35 fee, which is $7.95x12+19.95. So basically MoviePass is charging you an entire years worth at once.

MoviePass banned a few thousand people yesterday for doing split charges, like you buy two tickets at once and pay with two moviepass cards. A few of the people on reddit saying they bought the costco deal - $100, 1 year - and still got banned with no refund, fortunately for them they can just go to costco and get a refund there. But if you sign up directly with moviepass, they charge you $115, and ban you a few weeks later you ain't getting a refund.

So yeah, watch your credit card statements and stuff, feels like moviepass is quickly hitting the point where they are starting to feel the money strain and doing shady shit to keep the operation running as long as they can.