Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
(not even sure user level apps could do that when they are closed)

On android they can. In the upcoming version P Google is denying sensor access to idle apps, but it's unclear if that would include location since that is a separate service.

Ravanta

Trakanon Raider
This is the real ass fucking in the digital age. People happily handing over very valuable data for practically nothing.

I don't have moviepass yet so I don't know if the app/service yells at you for doing it, (some apps will refuse to work if you turn off GPS services, moviepass might be one of them) but if you go into settings, apps and notifications, app permissions, and location...you'll see a list of apps that have access to location services. You can also just look up the permissions of an individual app in the same menu if you wish.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's not obvious to me that MoviePass is gonna survive another year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I tried to see super troopers 2 on a early Thursday morning..... Shit would refresh the page when logging into app or website. Resetting password etc just showed as couldnt find my account/credentials. They had billed me last month and should be billing me yesterday or today. No reply from CS yet. Looks like I'm going to bank chargeback that shit.

spronk

FPS noob
they fucked up a bunch of sessions you have to log out of the app, reset password, set a new password via email, then login to the app with that password. I have no clue why just relogging in doesn't work, but nothing really surprises me when it comes to moviepass and bad tech.

the service also tends to go down regularly weekend nights between 4pm and 8pm EST, its almost 100% going to be mostly down during avengers first week. its better to do stuff with moviepass in the mornings, i always buy my tickets in the early afternoons even if its for evening shows

spronk

FPS noob
Turn off auto app updates, the latest MoviePass app rolled out last nite on iOS/Android prevents you from checking into the same movie twice. You can only see Avengers once, ever, for example. Bug or new restriction, who knows? Also apparently they now say if you fail to correctly upload a photo stub you will be banned from the service forever.

If you have the app version previous you are fine, can check in multiple times to the same movie. Nice security!

Its clearly the beginning of the end at this point, I've racked up over $600 in rewards, seen 60+ movies, and paid like $200 to MoviePass so no ragrets but yeah I'd be surprised if the service is still up in 3 months.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
btw sinemia is an alternative service that charges $6 (1 movie/month) to $10.99 (3 movies a month, 1 can be IMAX/Dolby) which is an alternative. I am thinking of flipping over to that, I'd honestly rather just see 1 IMAX movie a month than 10 regular 2D movies. The downsides to the service are that you are billed annually and there is a 30 day cooldown on IMAX, so if you bought a ticket today to Avengers you have to wait 30 days before you can buy another IMAX ticket. The non IMAX though allows pretty much everything like 3D or RPX or XD and it works with advance tickets (days or weeks) and online ticketing so none of the bullshit of MoviePass. They also have a couples plan.

SiNEMiA | Private Movie Club

j00t

didn't this used to be one movie per day? now it's 4 per month.

Sludig

Even trying in morning my shit was fucked. I tried reinstalling etc. I couldnt get it to recognize that I have an account for a password, and logging into website or app just like refreshes page.

After 2 weeks no CS reply from web ticket I just refunded the month that just billed the 21st and month before (last movie I saw was I think outside that time.)

I hope the founder ends up in a trailer home.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
didn't this used to be one movie per day? now it's 4 per month.

Is this for everyone or just new customers? The new TOS I got pushed just said each title only once and one device per account.

The once per title is easy to get around since that's not info that goes back in the CC transaction. Congrats I Feel Pretty on getting a metric for my 2nd Avenger's viewing.

j00t

it might only be for new customers if you guys aren't seeing it. i keep wanting to buy it but they keep putting goofy requirements. the other month you could ONLY buy it a year at a time up front. i was like, well. i don't have $100 to drop on a movie right now, sorry.

spronk

FPS noob
2 plans up now on MoviePass | Watch New Movies in Theaters $9.95/mo for 1 new movie/day or $7.95/mo for 3 movies/month

vZtY84R.jpg

i don't have much confidence in MP being around for more than 4 months

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Yea, the "new" movie every day is how they word the restriction that you can't see a movie more than once. I can't really think of a better way to restrict the people who buy a ticket every day for the reward points but only actually watch a movie once a week or so. For normal users it's easy to get around by checking in to a crappy movie that will only be in theaters for a week for any repeat viewings of blockbusters.

j00t

i just saw this last night and signed up. there was an ad that said unlimited movies was back and it specifically says "any theatre, any movie, any day" i think they were obviously having issues with people getting reward points or whatever and had to restrict people from abusing things until they could fix it. seems they fixed it?