Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
MoviePass Backer Plunges After Warning Service May Not Make It
Helios & Matheson Analytics Inc., the backer of the controversial $10 MoviePass subscription, fell as much as 21 percent after warning the money-losing cinema service may not make it.

Helios boosted its support for MoviePass to $11.5 million from $5 million as part of an August deal to acquire a majority stake, according to a regulatory filing. At the same time, Helios said MoviePass’s auditors are expected to warn of substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern.

no surprise there, I just hope it can last another few weeks. Already seen over 15 movies with my card and banked lots of reward points so I'm happy for however much longer they can stay alive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Does it still work trying to get into "fancier" screenings without penalty? We have pseudo fake imax and ticket in morning is only like $12, so I just pay a difference between that and $10? Or will it decline me somehow?

spronk spronk

spronk

FPS noob
depends on the chain and how you buy tickets.

officially, you are supposed to use moviepass ONLY for 2D, non premium, day of tickets. If you break that rule they can ban you. With so few employees and so many subs it seems like they don't have the time to go through thousands of daily transactions trying to find the "bad guys" but if they suspect you of cheating, they can figure it out pretty quickly.

no one knows for 100% sure but it seems like they have no idea what you are buying. I've checked my credit card statements for a while, and EVERYTHING from a movie theater is the same, whether its box office or kiosk. It just says how much money you paid and the category is Movies & Entertainment, no other info like what movie you bought tix for, what day, time, how many tickets, what kind of movie screen, etc. EVEN FOOD goes into the same category, so as far as moviepass knows a popcorn is the same as a ticket. Of course they sorta have data on how much a movie SHOULD cost and if the food doesn't line up they'd know something is up. Some people have laughably used the debit card at an ATM to withdraw cash, but this does flag as a non movie ticket purchase and they have gotten banned quickly.

Specific chains: AMC kiosks are the best. They let you pay with multiple credit cards, and charge the max avail on each card. So if you have 2 MP cards you can buy a $25 IMAX 3D ticket, charge $15 on one card and $12 on another and you are good. Of course you should "checkin" to tickets on the Moviepass app to a $15 2D movie (say 7pm) and then a $12 2D movie (say 11am), you may not be able to work out the math in which case MoviePass will know you are doing something shady, but not exactly what. I haven't yet given my moviepass card to an AMC employee, I prefer the soulless automation of kiosks.

Regal and Cinemark kiosks DO NOT allow you to use multiple credit cards. The card must cover the max amount of the single ticket or the purchase is rejected. You CAN however skip the kiosks and ask the employee to use multiple cards and max amount per card, so for example if you buy a $21 IMAX ticket for 2 weeks out you can ask the employee to put $10 on your moviepass card, another $10 on wifes card, and then pay $1 yourself. I haven't done this but others have, I prefer going to AMC since the Regal's around me are kinda dingy plus I don't really wanna have the Regal employee know I am using moviepass.

The kiosks work just fine for future movies as well, I've bought 6 the Last Jedi tickets so far and just plan on stockpiling a bunch, around that time of year relatives tend to visit so it'll be a great way to get them the fuck out of the house.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
well thanks for bringing it to my attention spronk. went last weekend and saw American made Saturday and Wind River Sunday. With NYC ticket prices i paid for my 9.99 sub cost three times over with those two movies. hope it lasts a few more weeks and i can cram 2049 and a few other flicks in.

Sludig

Ya, little triggered that I might get 1-2 movies out of it. Break even, but have quite a few shows in oct/nov/dec coming I'd want to see.

So if it's supposed to be same day ticket, what are you doing just using kiosk to buy in the future and the app can't tell?

spronk

FPS noob
moviepass sent out an email notifying everyone of their updated ToS, it seems to add a few new restrictions to curb on people who use it for other things (food, etc) or to upgrade to 3D/IMAX movies or buy tickets for future dates. I don't think they can technically actually know most of the stuff they are telling you they will fuck you over for, but who knows. They also added a thing where they reserve the right to charge $25/incident if they feel you are abusing MoviePass.

Still good for just a few movies a month, but can sorta feel the noose tightening around the service. Will it last till Dec? Will I get banned before then?

spronk

FPS noob
So uh moviepass quietly changed their signup plan to be now $6.95/mo today morning, BUT you have to prepay an entire year plus a $6.95 "processing fee" so $90 one time payment for a year then it switches to $9.95/mo.

Now, the optimist would say "hey! They are just making it simpler! What a great deal!" but the realist would say they are starting to get cash tight and trying to get as much cash up front as possible to avoid shutting down.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I still haven’t even used my damn thing. The main theater here was purchased by AMC and they’ve had it shut down for remodeling since like May.

Sludig

Despite free movies i have a hard time wanting to waste 3 hours of my precious weekend time to go see something. Hoping it gets better with bigger must see s during winter.

Pissed death wish delayed until March for some reason.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah for the first 2 months i was all about going to see any movie but at this point i'm tired of shitty boring ass movies, all i've seen in the last 2 weeks is Justice League (once) and i haven't even gone to skim free tickets into AMC points, it was ok when the weather was warmer and the girls were all wearing daisy dukes but now its in the 40s, all the women are in Sorority Ugg Boots uniforms, and there really ain't shit to see.

Stuff I might see in the next few weeks

- Denzel Washington in Roman J. Israel. I thought this was a "black lives matter" movie but no, its about a lawyer who breaks bad (Denzel) sounds kinda interesting
- Coco? I dunno, fuck musicals but wife wants to see it
- Titanic re-released in Dolby ATMOS. lol, never seen the entire movie, 3h15m of a ship hitting an iceberg... i dunno
- Disaster Artist, "The Room" with James Franco
- Gotti, John Travolta as John Gotti. wtf?
- Jumanji, love the trailer

There's also a SHITLOAD of Oscar bait movies being released Dec 22nd, usually skip em all but with moviepass... can just walk out if its too "gay cowboys eating pudding"

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
It looks like the $6.95/mo but prepay a year was just their Thanksgiving sale. They're back to $9.95 a month one month at a time now. Without the prepay it seems like a no brainer. Star Wars alone will get you your December's worth plus my family typically goes to a couple movies over Christmas break. If January looks weak just drop. I haven't read anything about getting locked out for dropping a month or two.

edit: It looks like you are locked out for 9 months after quitting. No idea if that's by name or address or what.

Last edited:

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Tried using my moviepass this past Fri and Sat and it appears the system and app were down due to being hammered over the holidays. I joked with my wife saying they took the service down to alleviate what would have been a big ticket weekend. Anyhow something to keep in mind come Dec and the new Star Wars movie. Double check that the app is up before heading out.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There was an update on Android around then, perhaps you were running an out of date version? (I used on Monday np)

lost

<Bronze Donator>
soo should I get this? Tons of theatres in my area that seem to be avilable for moviepass. So run down on how I use this to buy tickets in advance or imax 3d/dolby cinema ones?

I see a movie liek once a month but if this works I'd probably go more often, just tired of blowing $10-15 bucks on one ticket every time. Yeah I'm a cheap ass but it adds up when you pay for your gf as well plus pop corn and an iccee ends up like $40 movie date.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Be near the theater you plan on attending. Fire up the app. Click the movie you will be attending. Pick up tickets with your moviepass card within 30 minutes for that days showing. Super easy. Also cheap guys buy candy and drink beforehand. That alone will save you money.

spronk

FPS noob
costco now selling 12 month moviepass for $90, you still have to sign up (with a NEW email address) on moviepass and wait for the debit card to arrive before you can use it. in theory costco could refund your money if MP goes out of business before 12 months but i doubt they actually would
Costco Wholesale

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have not had this work for me yet despite paying for it. The app is a piece of garbage in every way.

I will try it again but if it fails on me I will be asking for a refund.