Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

spronk

FPS noob
spronk spronk I got my card, I want to see T2 in 3d but it doesn't show up in my app. If I buy another ticket will I be able to show up to the theater, apply that credit against the ticket then pay the difference?

yes, some people on slickdeals say that doing that too much will get you in trouble with MP and maybe banned but I think 2-3x a month isn't a big deal. i've done it twice so far, buying a cheaper ticket for a different movie in MoviePass and paying the difference for Baby Driver in Dolby Digital and Judgement Day 3D at the box office kiosk.

The card is simply loaded with a certain amount, if your ticket is more than that all the theaters I have tried let you pay the difference with cash or another credit card.

spronk

FPS noob
Kinda less appealing if its only for a fixed 10.99 per ticket or so.

its not capped, people in NYC for example get like $15 if their evening ticket is that much. Its simply only supposed to be regular 2D movies, any time of day, but no extras like IMAX, Dolby, special events, special screenings (like the current Marvel XD ones at Regal), etc. Last night for example I saw Hitman's Bodyguard @ 12.50, it covered the full amount even though the previous two movies I saw were 10.50.

Their data feeds are not great though so they sometimes don't calculate taxes right in some states, they have the wrong price data sometimes, etc. Probably for 90% of people who just pick a regular movie a week after release in 2D it'll work flawlessly no matter the price. When you try to see the edges of the system is when you start running into minor flaws, but end of the day I'll pay $2.50 to see Terminator 2 in 3D any day of the year.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
yes, some people on slickdeals say that doing that too much will get you in trouble with MP and maybe banned but I think 2-3x a month isn't a big deal. i've done it twice so far, buying a cheaper ticket for a different movie in MoviePass and paying the difference for Baby Driver in Dolby Digital and Judgement Day 3D at the box office kiosk.

The card is simply loaded with a certain amount, if your ticket is more than that all the theaters I have tried let you pay the difference with cash or another credit card.
I can't imagine there is any way for MP to even know what ticket they ultimately paid for after the debit is loaded, the transaction on the statement isn't going to include that level of detail. Only way they could know is if the theaters started tattling on customers for doing that, which might actually be in violation of consumer protection laws.

spronk

FPS noob
MP definitely fucks with your movie going expectations, i went today to an old theater near my gym i never go to and paid for hitman's bodyguard again, 10 mins into the movie i realized i really just didn't like the theater (concrete floors, seats smelled a little) and just walked up and left. i can see it again somewhere else another day, why the fuck bother with a shitty 90 minute experience.

i think i'll visit all the theaters in my town though, take a little road trip once a week and scope out new neighborhoods, maybe discover a few new gems thanks to MoviePass

my wife's card STILL hasn't arrived, she put her order in ~4 hours after mine on the 15th and I got mine 4 days ago now.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
No problem getting a T2 3D ticket tonight. Whole thing seems too good to be true. Hopefully it lasts.

spronk

FPS noob
If you have an AMC theater near you and can go often, as I said before pay the $15 and sign up for Stubs premium it pays off extremely fast. They currently are running a bonus where you get an extra 1000 points for every movie you see, which is equivalent to $1. Plus 100x (200x at the moment) any money you spend at AMC, so a $10 ticket is another 2000 points, paid by moviepass. 7-8 movies and you'll rack up $15 of reward points you can use on anything, even renew Stubs premium for the following year (I'd wait until they run a promo where they give you 5k points when you buy premium). You also get your own line at the ticket and concessions lol

After you sign up for amc stubs online, register your number at these
2x bonus from now till Oct 31st: Double Points Days
1000 bonus points if you register and see IT on 9/7: It Bonus Points
Level Up Rewards : Unlock More Rewards

Regal cinema (Regal Cinemas, UA & Edwards Theatres: Movie Tickets & Showtimes) and Cinemark (Cinemark Theatres - Movies, Tickets and Showtimes) have similar rewards programs that are free, but not quite as lucrative.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
Still no MoviePass yet and I ordered it like the second day it was 10 bucks, lame.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I got mine last Friday. Haven't used it yet, but the theater right nearby is listed so I hope I can get a few movies in next month.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
We'll have to see if we even end up using ours, the job change I'm making will be far less conducive to using it that often. Job I'll be leaving shortly was insanely flexible and near zero commute so I was going to be able to fit in a movie basically any day the whim struck.

spronk

FPS noob
they sent out an email saying they are doing blah blah blah and they fucked up the first 2 days for some people blah blah. Should come soon. My dad's arrived yesterday, I ordered it for him like end of august too.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Mine just got here for a day 1 order. (Although I was gone a week due to Irma so ???? for what day it actually arrived)

Woman's still not here yet for her day 2 one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I got mine last week but have been too fucking busy, then out of town for the weekend, then back out of town this week!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Believe I ordered day two, and mine still hasn't arrived. Apparently their e-ticketing system works fine, but is only for certain theater chains. I prefer not to watch my movies at Studio Movie Grill.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is the pay the difference for IMAX, etc versions still a thing, or has it been made officially a no no and enforced?

spronk

FPS noob
MoviePass Is Overwhelmed With Orders After Slashing Prices
When MoviePass told theatergoers they could see as many films as they wanted for less than 10 bucks a month, critics cautioned the deal was too good to be true. Turns out, the naysayers were at least partially right.

The movie service was inundated with sign-ups since cutting the price from $30, forcing some customers to wait almost a month before their passes arrive in the mail. About 150,000 people signed on in the first two days following the Aug. 15 announcement, and the site had boosted subscriptions to 400,000 as of Tuesday.
MoviePass Chief Executive Officer Mitch Lowe, a co-founder of Netflix Inc., admits he “totally underestimated demand.” With a staff of just nine people, the company “was nowhere near prepared,” he said in an interview. It has since boosted the team to 35 to deal with the backlog.
Hiccups aside, the head of 20th Century Fox’s movie studio has other reasons for calling the offer “wacky.”

At a Goldman Sachs conference Wednesday, Ramsey said AMC would pursue its own subscription service but the MoviePass price of $10 was unsustainable.

It’s not hard to see why MoviePass’s offer has the industry up in arms. MoviePass charges subscribers $9.95 a month, less than the price of a single movie ticket in some cities, and in exchange foots the bill for every film they attend during the period. The company plans to earn money by aggregating data on moviegoers’ habits, advertising and merchandise sold through its platform, and possibly a share of profits when subscribers splurge on in-theater popcorn and treats. Customers spend on average 123 percent more on concessions when their tickets are free, Lowe said.

I've had the pass now for 3 weeks and seen ~10 movies but bought tickets almost every day and built up $40 of AMC credit and $25 of Regal cinema credit. Thats kind of insane for $20/mo (two passes).

I would honestly be shocked if I am not kicked off the service in the next month and/or the service shuts down before the end of the year. I'm starting to see some pretty elaborate scamming of MoviePass building up on gaf/slickdeals, and once it becomes more and more known they are going to have to do something to shut down the million loopholes their "system" has.

Can see why though AMC is so against it now, they are working on their own deal but I'm sure they wanna charge $30-40/mo, MoviePass totally undercut them lol