MS Flight Simulator 2020

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Several dozen videos released in the last few days from content creators / those w/ early access:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The modding community for FSX/XP11 is similar to that link - just tons of content created by anyone willing to put the time into it.

There definitely is a quality scale. Free planes that can be downloaded are usually low quality in terms of system operations (things like engine behavior, fuel mixtures, etc.) however there have been a few golden eggs such as the ZIBO 737 for X-Plane 11.

Then there are (usually) payware aircraft that are very realistic in terms of systems. These are the planes that you purchase, install, and then spend 5 hours watching YouTube tutorials and reading the giant manual to turn on the fucking light switch so you can see inside the cockpit. Then the light illuminates the beautiful interior modeled to be as realistic as possible and you realize there are 25 other critical switches to figure out so you watch another 5 hours of YouTube, etc. The first "study level" aircraft I bought I remember being mentally exhausted by the time I was ready to push back - didn't even taxi the first day but it was highly rewarding once I got it going.

Outside of airplanes - the modding community is also amazing. Anything you can think of - graphic enhancements, airline simulators, mission modes - you name it. On FSX you could buy a 30 dollar add on that would simulate passenger plane activities - you sit there while they load up the plane cargo, board the passengers, and then you work your way to take off and head to the destination. The entire time you are being graded - for example if you fly erratically the passengers will complain. For me it was an OK add on - the passengers would complain about shit like the snacks weren't served early enough or the turbulence was too rough. Instead of working on improving my "airline" I just flew the plane into the mountain so they had nothing else to complain about.

This gave me an autism boner...May have to get back into flight sims (I used to love then when I was young but I was too poor to get proper controls and gave up on them...Now I'm able to fully deck out a room with VR, and proper yolk/foot pedals ect because my son is into them too. Wish I had the extra cash to get a multi-axis seat, too but I think my wife would fucking kill me lol.)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played a flight sim in probably 20 years. I have a feeling I'm going to make up for lost time.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nice video of it that highlights some of the features. Shit is gorgeous. Do these games have an arcade mode where I can just take off and fly around without needing a real pilots course worth of info?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nice video of it that highlights some of the features. Shit is gorgeous. Do these games have an arcade mode where I can just take off and fly around without needing a real pilots course worth of info?

Did you watch the video? He says it is easily accessible for newbies.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Videos are probably out there but I don't know where to look. I wish they showed someone shooting a few approaches at minimums or just above minimums weather wise to see how it looks. Not the fancy stuff of smashing into someones house.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Videos are probably out there but I don't know where to look. I wish they showed someone shooting a few approaches at minimums or just above minimums weather wise to see how it looks. Not the fancy stuff of smashing into someones house.

You can browse through all the videos people are releasing here, there's a lot of simply 'LAX to LAS in the new Flight Sim' that's just pretty to watch.

I watched this earlier, I enjoyed all the landing attempts by someone not super good at this stuff.

lol:

1596520333451.png

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They should do real world challanges. Fly into flock of geese 3,000 feet after takeoff and get plane on ground/water in one piece. Have pilot in command go aloha snackbar and get plane under control as second in command.

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Didn't the barefoot bandit use flight simulators to learn how to fly the planes he would steal (and crash land) ?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Did you watch the video? He says it is easily accessible for newbies.

Yeah but I was half asleep. I remember him saying it was designed for Xbox too and more accessible that’s past ones, so I guess I just thought he meant you didn’t need a cockpit at your computer desk to play but wasn’t sure if I could just hold X and use a stick and shoulder buttons which is as far as if like to get into it.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Didn't the barefoot bandit use flight simulators to learn how to fly the planes he would steal (and crash land) ?

Apparently he did yes. A Doctor I worked with once was a pilot and had a small plane. Before he qualified he used some flight sims from time to time at work during his breaks.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I remember playing one of the first MS Flight sims on my Dad's 386 back in the day. Shit has come a long way since then. As an avid player of Euro Truck Simulator 2 I keep wondering how that game might look in the future. Drive on Google Roads? Live traffic and weather simulation? The ability to go anywhere and not just special roads they have coded? That shit seems far fetched, but the stuff they have in MSFS2020 would have been thought of as crazy only a few years back.

Just Googled it, I think it must have been MSFS 3 or 4 that I played. Could barely take off in that, and landing? Yeah, I'd have made Osama proud!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I remember playing one of the first MS Flight sims on my Dad's 386 back in the day. Shit has come a long way since then. As an avid player of Euro Truck Simulator 2 I keep wondering how that game might look in the future. Drive on Google Roads? Live traffic and weather simulation? The ability to go anywhere and not just special roads they have coded? That shit seems far fetched, but the stuff they have in MSFS2020 would have been thought of as crazy only a few years back.

Just Googled it, I think it must have been MSFS 3 or 4 that I played. Could barely take off in that, and landing? Yeah, I'd have made Osama proud!
Tangent: Google has spent immense resources creating the content at google earth, but you can't use the content to do anything cool at all.

Permissions – Google

It's totally blocked off legally and only marginally possible technically. Any project that has gained any traction gets a cease and desist. eliemichel/MapsModelsImporter

I want to use it for autonomous vehicle testing stuff. Instead I use openstreetmaps which doesn't have one of the biggest corporations in the world mapping all the things. If this restriction wasn't in place I think you'd see a lot more gaming content generated from google maps.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Any fairly cheap stick's you guys recommend? Like under $200 or so? Want to geek out with this - half tempted to just wait for new gfx cards to get released but we're in August and haven't even had an announcement so I suspect it might be a while. Think I'll limp along on my 1080TI in the meantime.

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Any fairly cheap stick's you guys recommend? Like under $200 or so? Want to geek out with this - half tempted to just wait for new gfx cards to get released but we're in August and haven't even had an announcement so I suspect it might be a while. Think I'll limp along on my 1080TI in the meantime.

For just getting into it - I recommend Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick. Running at 40 dollars right now.

It has plenty of buttons to assign things like flaps, trim, etc. that make it easier when flying. Also has your throttle and the stick will twist for your rudder.

I have "heard" *cough* IT IS AMAZING *cough* that it runs well on a 1080TI while looking very impressive (I have a 1080TI).

If you get mega into it and want to upgrade, the Honeycomb line of yoke (currently out) and throttle quadrants (coming out soon) are what I would move to next. You will also need to buy a set of pedals for brakes, rudder, etc.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I'm playing on m/kb with a 2070 Super. I just want to fly and have it look super nice.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For just getting into it - I recommend Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick. Running at 40 dollars right now.

It has plenty of buttons to assign things like flaps, trim, etc. that make it easier when flying. Also has your throttle and the stick will twist for your rudder.

I have "heard" *cough* IT IS AMAZING *cough* that it runs well on a 1080TI while looking very impressive (I have a 1080TI).

If you get mega into it and want to upgrade, the Honeycomb line of yoke (currently out) and throttle quadrants (coming out soon) are what I would move to next. You will also need to buy a set of pedals for brakes, rudder, etc.
The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick is sold out on Amazon and Best Buy? Looks like new flight sim has people getting hype!