Ssraeszha Raider
B4D8C4EB-E3FD-424A-A461-E0FAACC39292.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Draft for ELD is soooo looooong.

I don't think I like this super slow meta.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I am enjoying this one more than core. Black/Green is certainly one of the stronger combos with adventure and creature control.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
The timing of the announcement is hilarious. They moved up the date right after everyone submitted their decks for mythic championship so it is probably a huge % of the meta. The problem is it is just so non-interactive and the mirror is terribly boring (to me at least).

Esper was a consensus best deck before the last Arena MC, and it was 25% of the field. Assuming the push up of the banlist is specifically a response to MCV decklist submission and seeing the few event results before that, I would put over under of metagame percentage at like 55%. I'm hoping its something insane like 75%.

Reminds me of Jace the Mindsculpter in standard. Card was clearly over powered, but "fine" as a portion of the metagame, but then all of its hunters rotated (BBE, Lightning Bolt, Maelstrom Pulse, Oblivion Ring, Blightning, among others), and the card was able to really just dominate a metagame, leading to its banning.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Esper was a consensus best deck before the last Arena MC, and it was 25% of the field. Assuming the push up of the banlist is specifically a response to MCV decklist submission and seeing the few event results before that, I would put over under of metagame percentage at like 55%. I'm hoping its something insane like 75%.

Reminds me of Jace the Mindsculpter in standard. Card was clearly over powered, but "fine" as a portion of the metagame, but then all of its hunters rotated (BBE, Lightning Bolt, Maelstrom Pulse, Oblivion Ring, Blightning, among others), and the card was able to really just dominate a metagame, leading to its banning.

it's really an interesting dilemma because fotd is a pretty cool card but they just have almost no ways to interact with lands so wtf anyone suppose to do. They needed to introduce interaction (or ban), which it's obvious the choice they made at this point. If they do some shit like banning golos and/or grazer i'm done with mtg though.

edit:

I take my last sentence back and completely reverse, they should actually ban ramp cards not fotd

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

it's really an interesting dilemma because fotd is a pretty cool card but they just have almost no ways to interact with lands so wtf anyone suppose to do. They needed to introduce interaction (or ban), which it's obvious the choice they made at this point. If they do some shit like banning golos and/or grazer i'm done with mtg though.

edit:

I take my last sentence back and completely reverse, they should actually ban ramp cards not fotd

Yeah, fuck Circuitous Route.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, fuck Circuitous Route.

ya the more I think about it (and by think about it I mean listening and thinking about the rant crokeyz is going on right now), route, grazer, goose, elf (gone now but still) are such fucked up cards

I know control does counter ramp but still

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

ya the more I think about it (and by think about it I mean listening and thinking about the rant crokeyz is going on right now), route, grazer, goose, elf (gone now but still) are such fucked up cards

I know control does counter ramp but still

I actually love goose. It is one time early ramp, then it has a cost to function by itself. The design of that card is great. Continuous, overwhelming mana advantage like route is just silly.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I actually love goose. It is one time early ramp, then it has a cost to function by itself. The design of that card is great. Continuous, overwhelming mana advantage like route is just silly.

goose is fair on the surface but if you think about it it's insane

it ramps you when it's most important (giving you 50% more mana on turn 2), it assfucks agro x 2 (toughness and life via food, agro cannot exist this meta) and it interacts with all the other food cards in the format.

I'd actually be almost willing to say goose is almost as good as the best mtg card ever printed, llanawar elf

• 1Worf

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Grazer is definitely a problem card. Having a very good early blocker WITH REACH that also ramps you to 3 mana a turn early is ridiculous. Goose is a problem for two reasons. First, it adds value no matter what happens. It creates something useful even if killed immediately. Second, it's intentionally paired with Oko and shares time with Teferi. Two of the best PWs in history get a mana fixing speed boost. FotD is just too easy to use. Just like Valukut, it should have been a legendary and just like Valukut, it is easy to abuse.

With all that said, I will miss it. It's been fun experimenting with all of the variations. Elemental Fields. Golos Fields. Mass Manipulation Fields. Lots of ways to build it that weren't optimal but very fun. It was fun as fuck to steal their Fields too. I had six a few games and that was hilarious. The card just can't be allowed to continue to warp this meta. They should have brought back Blood Sun. Some cool ass Lotus Field decks would have been nice to see.

Sterling

El Presidente
Grazer is hardly ridiculous. It's way more situational than all the other ramp cards since it doesn't ramp on it's own since it requires a land in hand.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Grazer is hardly ridiculous. It's way more situational than all the other ramp cards since it doesn't ramp on it's own since it requires a land in hand.

Maybe so but I disagree. No other standard card is as effective at it's primary use...cheating a 3 mana spell out on Turn 2. No serious player will start with a one mana hand and any serious green deck will play Once Upon a Time which increases the odds of this play. With two powerful 3 mana PWs, the tempo lost can and does end games early. For a specific use one drop, it's pretty powerful. Elves, birds, and geese are all susceptible to response removal and the tempo lost from it. This isn't.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Maybe so but I disagree. No other standard card is as effective at it's primary use...cheating a 3 mana spell out on Turn 2. No serious player will start with a one mana hand and any serious green deck will play Once Upon a Time which increases the odds of this play. With two powerful 3 mana PWs, the tempo lost can and does end games early. For a specific use one drop, it's pretty powerful. Elves, birds, and geese are all susceptible to response removal and the tempo lost from it. This isn't.
Except that 1 mana creatures that generate the mana themselves while susceptible to removal also don't require a 3rd land in hand, which is significant. There's a reason people would play 4-8 1 mana dorks and most golos decks run 2 or 3 Grazers.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It'll need to be a pretty miserable pro tour for them to even ban Field. They moved the date up to give themselves an out, but I'm sure it's absolutely the last thing they want to do. That would be a level of standard bans unseen since the Urza era, and people aren't gonna keep putting up with it forever.