MTG: Arena

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
ayup, and they know it. like I said I don't envy the position they're in. I feel like the way out is just to build mtgo economy into this and give it the same set redemption value. it's just to big and complex of a game to go the route of a hearthstone style economy imo
I'm pretty sure they could just keep the vault, up the rewards a tiny bit, and then give vault progress for 5th copies at a 1/3rd or 1/4th rate, regardless of what source the 5th copies came from.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How about they just use a fucking dust system that is 100% proven to work in every other digital offering in existence. Let people have control over their collections so they can turn their EDH nonsense mythics in to 1/4th of a playable mythic or whatever. Conveniently, such systems also solve the 5th card thing.

They will 100%, never, ever put trading in to Arena, so don't put your hopes on that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
None of those solutions do anything for the people who only open cards through Sealed or Draft.

Yeah I didn't try draft until recently, and realized pretty quickly that the fifth card thing reaaaally sucks when it comes to drafts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The funny thing is, its just going to hurt them in the end, because people are going to spend less money on this. As the free to play is otherwise fairly generous if you game it right, people will just play the game that way if the value prop isn't there to pay to play. I'll probably drop 20 bucks on this every time a set releases just to play some casual sealed deck, buy into drafts with my gold, and then just play constructed with whatever I pull, where I'd definitely pay 4x that if the value prop was even close to reasonable.

• 1Like

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Oh man, they just put in a task bar alert when it's your turn and you're alt-tabbed. God bless you MTGA. Every card game needs this shit.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
The funny thing is, its just going to hurt them in the end, because people are going to spend less money on this. As the free to play is otherwise fairly generous if you game it right, people will just play the game that way if the value prop isn't there to pay to play. I'll probably drop 20 bucks on this every time a set releases just to play some casual sealed deck, buy into drafts with my gold, and then just play constructed with whatever I pull, where I'd definitely pay 4x that if the value prop was even close to reasonable.

For everyone like you there will be someone like me who will spend that 4x as much because I'm not looking for anything other than cheap entertainment and the 5th card thing has been a complete non issue when it comes to my building decks. The most vocal complainers have and will always be the f2p or close to it and has been that way in every "freemium" game I've played, but it's also laughable when a lot of them are putting in crazy hours without having to spend a penny and still complaining like they are owed something. Can be seen in PoE, Warframe, various MMOs etc.

• 1Dislike

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

i only play constructed event and would never put money into the game atm. I draft once in a while if I hit 20k gold or so from constructed

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How about they just use a fucking dust system that is 100% proven to work in every other digital offering in existence. Let people have control over their collections so they can turn their EDH nonsense mythics in to 1/4th of a playable mythic or whatever. Conveniently, such systems also solve the 5th card thing.

They will 100%, never, ever put trading in to Arena, so don't put your hopes on that.

Part of the problem for this is the lack of programmers. This game updates stuff very slowly. We still have a list of things needed like a real ranking system, just for starters. They have done a great job with the actual game but I think much of their talent is centered around the next expansion. This means all the extra stuff that the game still needs takes all that much longer to implement. In a year, this game might be very nice to play with all the extra stuff put into the game.

Honestly the real concern for this game is Artifact. If Artifact is a lot of fun to play, then this game has some real problems. Artifact actually has a trade system and while packs are comparatively more expensive, it will be a lot less expensive to get a whole set. Artifact will also be a complete game rather than a beta and so all of their play features should be ready upon release. It should be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Part of the problem for this is the lack of programmers. This game updates stuff very slowly. We still have a list of things needed like a real ranking system, just for starters. They have done a great job with the actual game but I think much of their talent is centered around the next expansion. This means all the extra stuff that the game still needs takes all that much longer to implement. In a year, this game might be very nice to play with all the extra stuff put into the game.

Honestly the real concern for this game is Artifact. If Artifact is a lot of fun to play, then this game has some real problems. Artifact actually has a trade system and while packs are comparatively more expensive, it will be a lot less expensive to get a whole set. Artifact will also be a complete game rather than a beta and so all of their play features should be ready upon release. It should be interesting to see how it shapes up.

artifact looks fucking stressful lol

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Kiroy Kiroy How did you get your collection to the point where you could field a deck in constructed that was self sustaining?

5 dollar bonus thingy for new players + 50 in packs + the drafts I did from the bonus gems gave me enough to make cards and wild cards for a few variants of rdw which does well in constructed

the strait up teferi control is the only thing that really fucks me over

there's a code for 2 free packs too you can look up if you havn't already

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
they stealth added Direct Challenge. can play a match with anyone if you know their name + # (for instance, i'm pharmakos#99271)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I should mention don't play rdw in constructed event right now, it's so countered the last little while

and if you do it set yourself up for rage when every fucking time you play frenzy you run into double lands and more frenzy

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
White/green midrange seems to be the new meta if you want to grind.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
is it me or is mtgarena pretty garbage when it comes to showing you your w/l and play information?

maybe i'm just a retard or it's not updating correctly

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a meta snapshot website? I'm not above netdecking as I don't foresee myself playing this game enough to learn the meta through just playing it.

Mainly looking for a couple decks that will do well in the constructed event but are also budget.

Also, is there any companion software? Deck tracker, collection tracker, etc?

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Is there a meta snapshot website? I'm not above netdecking as I don't foresee myself playing this game enough to learn the meta through just playing it.

Mainly looking for a couple decks that will do well in the constructed event but are also budget.

Also, is there any companion software? Deck tracker, collection tracker, etc?
MTGA Tracker

• 1Like