MTG: Arena

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah just want to reevaluate my position:

95% of the time when I lose, it's either to a deck with blue in it, or land screwed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Wow, look at that: my very next game, it's a combination of both!

It's like I'm getting it at both ends.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I think counterspells just dont translate well to digital and that is why there are so many complaints about blue. They are better face to face where people can bluff and interact, or you can give them a death stare and let them know how disappointed you are in their life decisions.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think counterspells just dont translate well to digital and that is why there are so many complaints about blue. They are better face to face where people can bluff and interact, or you can give them a death stare and let them know how disappointed you are in their life decisions.

there have been the same complaints against blue for literally ever

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Complaining about Blue is what people do...It is like people who complain about taxes.

Caliane

Got around to giving this a shot.

Any recommendations on what packs I should focus on with free gold? need to look up a meta deck and see what it wants for that answer?
started focusing on green starter. (enchants, and big creatures. a solid amount of 2 drops, which are defensive and tap to feed big creatures. trample)
Got WRECKED by 3 decks notably. which mostly just makes me wonder what those assholes were doing in bronze beginner/t2-3...
One was a blue aggro merfolk. which pretty much went , turn 1: 1/1 merfolk (allied mer get 1/1), turn two, again. 2 2/2 merfolk.. turn three, added 1/1 token to allied merfolk, 2/2,3/3,3/3 merfolk, etc till turn 6 being like 3/3,6/6,4/5,etc.

A blue control, that was just stacked with legendary, planeswalkers, etc.

A white deck with a single fucking healing hawk, which killed me over like 20 turns. haha. a single flying creature, which he kept enchanting, over a very long time. Was more sad then anything else. default green comes with plummetx2, and meteor golem, each can instant kill that single flying creature. (esp with 5enchants on it...) I ALSO didnt pull any of my big killers, which would have at least traded damage in a race.

Initial thoughts are good. Looks good, plays fairly smoothly. Easy to get in to.

Problems: the pause/auto pass system. Im a fucking noob, and I noticed immediately, how easy it is to tell, if your opponent, has a spell. Casual/low end play I suppose, "fuck it" rather fast play then really dicking around with mind games. I imagine high end play, they force the game to stop and check every single step. (or on the other hand, high end play even LESS patient?)
Its the same mtg played for 20years. its not really a bad thing, but its hard to argue that the new hotness factor on others, isnt there. esp with the "designed for online play, vs designed for physical cards" elements.
A greater problem with TCG. on one hand, the base nature of TCG is a theorycrafters wet dream, same scratch as playing Path of exile, and using path of building, or playing SSF. But, the sad fact is kindof the same. if you want to WIN, you look up a meta deck, buy the meta deck, and play the meta deck. (not to suggest individual play doesn't matter)

Emote wheels need to be updated in these games for modern times.
Needs a facepalm. an "oh ffs"

also, the naming structure of decks grinds my gears. what is a selesnya and what does it have to do with Selesnya Tokens Deck for Magic: the Gathering

and, after googling, I figured out the name thing. dual/tri colors have special names, based on "guilds?" or something. instead of just calling them the color names.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Also black discard spells.

Disinformation Campaign is quite the trolljob from Wizards R&D.

speaking of trolljob i've run into my first bout of fucked rng, it's crazy, i've been drafting a fuckton and i'm on 7th game in a row where I don't draw more than 3 mana in the first 5 turns. insanity. been putting in a lot of hours and never saw shit like this

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Its crazy how many games I have to much land or to few.

it's back to normal now, I think it's usually like 1/5 games I get mana screwed which isn't that bad imo

with the added complexity of the game, we get draw+land vs just draw for rng. I think it increases the skillcap though and while it can be frustrating i'm not in the goofball hearthstone created "get rid of lands!" camp

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
it's back to normal now, I think it's usually like 1/5 games I get mana screwed which isn't that bad imo

with the added complexity of the game, we get draw+land vs just draw for rng. I think it increases the skillcap though and while it can be frustrating i'm not in the goofball hearthstone created "get rid of lands!" camp

lol right after I post this:

1543781300037.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
how's this for an RNG anomaly... i have at most two of any Mythic Rare card, except for Chance for Glory, which the game just gave me my FIFTH copy of. not a single copy was earned via wildcard or draft.

game really wants me to play WR i guess?

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just seems odd to me that no one has done the alternate mode we used to play with friends. The fix was always easy, two card piles. You draw your cards from one or the other. One pile is lands the other is all your other cards.

• 1Like

Caliane

I feel like that would fuck up the balance of MTG entirely. I mean there are a shit ton of cards that are, "look at the top 7 cards of your deck, pick a land and play it, return the rest to the bottom of your library."

now, I think other games have done similar. Don't remember which exactly..

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
MTG isn't really balanced in a situation where you have perfect mana draws every time. It typically helps the decks you hate (control and degenerate combo) more than not.

It is pretty funny though coming into this thread and seeing people complaining about the same things people have complained about for the last twenty years of this game. Tempted to give it a shot again after giving up on the beta though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
MTG isn't really balanced in a situation where you have perfect mana draws every time. It typically helps the decks you hate (control and degenerate combo) more than not.

It is pretty funny though coming into this thread and seeing people complaining about the same things people have complained about for the last twenty years of this game. Tempted to give it a shot again after giving up on the beta though.
It's still in beta.

What you're describing used to exist(Gwent) but they went and fucked up the consistency hardcore with the recent release. I'd play pre-Homecoming Gwent over MTG.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel like that would fuck up the balance of MTG entirely. I mean there are a shit ton of cards that are, "look at the top 7 cards of your deck, pick a land and play it, return the rest to the bottom of your library."

now, I think other games have done similar. Don't remember which exactly..
There would be no reason to run those cards other than just getting more lands out faster.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's still in beta.

What you're describing used to exist(Gwent) but they went and fucked up the consistency hardcore with the recent release. I'd play pre-Homecoming Gwent over MTG.
Honestly I love elder scrolls legends version of the card game more than any of those on the market, Having 2 lanes is fun and the way they make colors matter based on spell/creature type is also interesting. The only issue is there are no counter spell type decks but there is prophecy(doing damage to your opponent every 5 life or so breaks a rune which makes them draw a card). Prophecy can make them cast a spell for free on a rune break which makes you decide if you want to attack them or not.

For depth magic is hard to beat, but for me ESL beats it in terms of fun fast gameplay.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't they just switch developers? Seems like a hard game to get behind when the publisher basically did a vote of no confidence.