MTG: Arena

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Fucking around with merfolk/explore. Super fun to goof around with, was down to 4 life 1 game, endes at 187 with a mass army.

New set time is the best time really

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Man, lots of bad players in the Sealed event so far. Just doing my first one, but I've hit the point where I'm getting back my buy-in. Let's see if I can turn a profit with this last game...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There should be something other than 200 extra gems for going 7-x. Like an extra pack. 7-x is a lot harder than 6-3.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1547834886985.png

Lol...

Caliane

jank lulz plan.

red/black. mirror march, sanctum seeker, forerunner of the legion.(white)

alt, r/g mirror march and deep river elite/jade bearers, etc.
or, tendershoot dryad.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I still can't decide what I want to do to refine this, but it is doing work.

14-1 with the only loss coming from land screw and it was still a close game.

I need to build a green stompy version and a true r/g dino with reggie alpha to see how they play out, but I absolutely love Rhythm of the Wild and the two new R/G spells. Getting raptor hatchling a little bit buff and being able to generate early 3/3 trample tokens without losing the creature since it can block one power or with savage stomp take out some bigger creature and generate a token is nice. Then literally no one has had answers for hasted/uncounterable carnage tyrants/ghaltas.

Lands -
10 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
4 Timber Gorge (M19) 258

Creatures -
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
4 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
2 Beast Whisperer (GRN) 123
3 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
4 Raptor Hatchling (XLN) 155
2 Drover of the Mighty (XLN) 187
4 Druid of the Cowl (M19) 177
2 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111

Spells -
3 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
3 Savage Smash (RNA) 203
3 Collision // Colossus (RNA) 223

Edit: This is working better though I think I'm going to drop the Savage Smashes and throw in 2 more Sunder Shaman and 1 more Rekindling Phoenix. Hasted Kraul Harpooner is a nice surprise.

Lands -
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
2 Timber Gorge (M19) 258
5 Mountain
9 Forest

Creatures -
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
3 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
2 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
1 Sunder Shaman (RNA) 210

Spells -
3 Savage Smash (RNA) 203

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caliane

Regisaur alpha or the like over carnage tyrant, imho. baked in haste so you can riot +1/+1 is good. While doubling up on "cant be counter" doesnt seem great.
theres a few others. that spell breaker. "you and it have hexproof."
arclight pheonix with haste good. rekindling token doesnt get riot.

other red options are interesting, pyromantic pilgrim.. 4/2 with haste?
charging monstrosaur trample/haste. getting pumped to 5/5 with riot
barging sergeant. normally 4/2 with haste and mentor. but, with riot 5/3

Ravnica allegiance has a number of very strong enchants. i think, enchant kills in every deck will become standard very quickly. making any deck relying too heavily on one of those strong enchants, not entirely meta very quick.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Regisaur alpha or the like over carnage tyrant, imho. baked in haste so you can riot +1/+1 is good. While doubling up on "cant be counter" doesnt seem great.
theres a few others. that spell breaker. "you and it have hexproof."
arclight pheonix with haste good. rekindling token doesnt get riot.

other red options are interesting, pyromantic pilgrim.. 4/2 with haste?
charging monstrosaur trample/haste. getting pumped to 5/5 with riot
barging sergeant. normally 4/2 with haste and mentor. but, with riot 5/3

Ravnica allegiance has a number of very strong enchants. i think, enchant kills in every deck will become standard very quickly. making any deck relying too heavily on one of those strong enchants, not entirely meta very quick.

I swapped in 3 Ravager Wurm and 3 Zhur-Taa Goblins. I like the way this feels. If I get a good opening hand then game is done by turn 6-7. if not then I can stall out pretty well with Growth-Chamber Guardians to use as fodder. I agree with the enchantments I'm deciding if I should ditch 2 harpooners for crushing canopy, but in Bo1 I feel like they'd be dead cards for the most part. Right now most people spend 5 minutes reading the cards every match I've been in since they aren't understanding the riot mechanic or rhythm preventing my creatures from being countered.

Lands -
2 Timber Gorge (M19) 258
5 Mountain
9 Forest

Creatures -
3 Zhur-Taa Goblin
2 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
3 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
3 Ravager Wurm

Spells -

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
wtf my game is just gone, not installed anymore

edit nm its there in program files patch must have deleted all shortcuts and start menu tho lol

Caliane

I swapped in 3 Ravager Wurm and 3 Zhur-Taa Goblins. I like the way this feels. If I get a good opening hand then game is done by turn 6-7. if not then I can stall out pretty well with Growth-Chamber Guardians to use as fodder. I agree with the enchantments I'm deciding if I should ditch 2 harpooners for crushing canopy, but in Bo1 I feel like they'd be dead cards for the most part. Right now most people spend 5 minutes reading the cards every match I've been in since they aren't understanding the riot mechanic or rhythm preventing my creatures from being countered.

Lands -
2 Timber Gorge (M19) 258
5 Mountain
9 Forest

Creatures -
3 Zhur-Taa Goblin
2 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
3 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
3 Ravager Wurm

Spells -
ravager wurm is definately beast. rhythm riot doesnt stack does it?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yes riot stacks so it makes things super fun when you can +1/+1 and haste. That's why I got the little 2 drop goblin in as well.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
they're going to have to ban nexus or wilderness reclamation

not really sure what they were thinking

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, reclamation with counter might be a bit to much. I am not even running the Nexus variant but just a jank instant speed deck and it seems to do fine if I get Reclamation out.

Caliane

but really, a bunch of very strong new enchants. Every deck is just going to have to run an enchant killer.
demystify-white. or conclave
thrashing bront-green
cindervines -rg seems ideal for anti control. "whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, Cindervines deals 1 damage to that player. 1, Sacrifice cindervines: destroy target artifact or enchantment. Cindervines deals 2 damage to that permanent's controller." pretty sure that is amazing for your gruul deck for murdering wilderness reclamation, and any turbofog.
etc..

1. Eyes everywhere-2u
  2. Ill-gotten inheritance-4b
  3. mirror march-5r (this one is totally random, and priced well at least..)
  4. smothering tithe- 3w
  5. simic ascendancy -bg This one is pretty crazy too. deeproot elite, metamorphic alteration, quasiduplicate?, deep root waters..
  6. high alert- 1wu
  7. Rhythm of the wild -1rg crazy cheap..
  8. Theater of horrors -1br
  9. Cindervines itself.. -rg
  10. Ethereal Absolution- 4wb
  11. Captive audience -5br
  12. Cavalcade of Calamity -1r

Thats not even all of them. Just some of the ones I thought were overly strong.
but consider how strong they are compared to like, idk, Favorable winds.
A bunch of new, overly strong global effect enchants.

I mean, really, Gruul new anti-fog/control/burn meta?
  1. Cindervines-rg 1 damage on non-creature spell
  2. rhythm of the wild-1rg creatures can't be countered.
  3. gruul spellbreaker-1rg Riot, trample, "as long as it's your turn, you and gruul spellbreaker have hexproof." nope to settle the wreckage, etc. Even rough on niv, and red burn
  4. Thrash r/g r/g. (2mana) instant target creature you control deals damage equal to its power, to target creature or plainswalker you don't control. Instantly murder teferi as soon has he comes out, before he can even use his loyalty.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
but really, a bunch of very strong new enchants. Every deck is just going to have to run an enchant killer.
thrashing bront-green
cindervines -rg seems ideal for anti control. "whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, Cindervines deals 1 damage to that player. 1, Sacrifice cindervines: destroy target artifact or enchantment. Cindervines deals 2 damage to that permanent's controller." pretty sure that is amazing for your gruul deck for murdering wilderness reclamation, and any turbofog.
etc..

1. Eyes everywhere-2u
  4. smothering tithe- 3w
  5. simic ascendancy -bg This one is pretty crazy too. deeproot elite, metamorphic alteration, quasiduplicate?, deep root waters..
  6. high alert- 1wu

3. gruul spellbreaker-1rg Riot, trample, "as long as it's your turn, you and gruul spellbreaker have hexproof." nope to settle the wreckage, etc. Even rough on niv, and red burn
  4. Thrash r/g r/g. (2mana) instant target creature you control deals damage equal to its power, to target creature or plainswalker you don't control. Instantly murder teferi as soon has he comes out, before he can even use his loyalty.

all the other enchants are fine because they can be killed, but a control defining enchant that can fairly easily be defended is pretty rought

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
thrashing bront-green
etc..

1. Eyes everywhere-2u
  4. smothering tithe- 3w
  6. high alert- 1wu

Yeah pretty sure Gruul is going to be the new meta-defining archetype, much like Golgari changed GRN meta. It's not going to be the BEST (Jeskai control and White Weenie aren't going anywhere), but there's going to be enough Gruul out there that everything else will have to adapt to it

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
so frustrating when you pull an insane sealed gruul deck and you go 0-3 due to rng retardation

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
welp now that everyone figured out to draft gruul no matter what, and splash another color for your rares and mythics, time to move on from sealed, getting boring

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
they're going to have to ban nexus or wilderness reclamation

not really sure what they were thinking

They will ban neither of those cards because they are fine in standard on paper. They will not make any arena only card changes or erattas.

This isn't retard hearthstone and wotc has been solid for a while in making smart bans even if Hasbro is pants on heads retarded in business.

Suck it up until real ranked begins at the end of this month and never play terrible BO1 ever again.

Also your "just draft gruul" strategy is also dumb.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
  1. Thrash r/g r/g. (2mana) instant target creature you control deals damage equal to its power, to target creature or plainswalker you don't control. Instantly murder teferi as soon has he comes out, before he can even use his loyalty.

This is incorrect if the person knows how to play. If you play on full control or toggle it when you play the plainswalkers you not pass priority and use a loyalty ability.