MTG: Arena

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Fucking LAND DESTRUCTION is a thing again? Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME?

No, I DON'T want to play, please remove ALL of my mana, thanks.

Yeah it was pretty popular with savj when he grinded to mythic so probably a good chunk or people still playing it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Found this nice guide for drafting: Ravnica Allegiance Draft Guide

Also, pulled 3 Rubble Reading and got mana starved in my second draft game, fuckin' hate this game:

lolwtf.PNG

I also don't understand why they let you sideboard in between after drafts. Are you supposed to have 75 cards to choose from?

Caliane

Decided to try burn with skewer and light up the stage and it's actually really nice.

Seems to make playing with guttersnipe and electrostatic field viable.

Got a lucky loop with steamkin and managed to play almost 20 cards on turn 4 from what started as a pretty shitty opener to end the game.

Would still like to try radkos version, but trying to not blow my remaining wilds or spending $100 before meta settles.

2 Ghitu Lavarunner (DAR) 127
4 Wizard's Lightning (DAR) 152
1 Fanatical Firebrand (RIX) 101
3 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
22 Mountain (RIX) 195
2 Guttersnipe (M19) 145
1 Lightning Strike (M19) 152
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Viashino Pyromancer (M19) 166
3 Electrostatic Field (GRN) 97
2 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
4 Spear Spewer (RNA) 117

mono red burn im using atm.
cheap as heck, since risk factor is the only card that is not common or uncommon.
based on the reddit deck. after I also noted spewers seemed amazing. I made a few changes while playing games though.

steamkin and chainwhirlers are probably more consistant.
I did not fully understand Light up the stage, until playing it. I misunderstood it to be "Until the end of your turn, you may play those cards." not, "Until the end of your NEXT turn,"
Which is obviously a HUGE difference, and solves monored burn card draw.

Improvements that could be made from playing at bit. 4 guttersnipes? 2 spear spewers. Great for burn, poke, and enabling spectacle. however at no point is 4 needed in one game, since they don't enable guttersnipe or electrostatic field procs. 2 is probably enough. although, 3 might be more consistent with draws, and they can poke for damage, over and over.. which ghitu and firebrands can't.
only 2 ghitu is intentional. deck this is based on did run 4, however, they are almost entirely just to enable wiz lightning.. And are basically useless past turn 2 after opp has put down their own creatures.
4 risks factors is a solid option as well. only don't due to not wanting to spend the wildcards.
keld sucks. light up the stage, and risk factor both make it pointless.
I'm running more mountains then the reddit deck. I found I was getting mana flooded, or screwed way too much with the 20 recommended.

Also, reddit is overreacting. this "new" monored burn is cheap, and very direct. but not especially strong. it probably is weaker then again, the steamkin,chainwhirler. its super weak vs counterspells, and life gain. White Revitalize, fountain, moment of triumph. black, moment of craving wrecks it, sovereign bite, etc. not so much life link, more the direct life gain.

I played versus some blue/red aggro, and black/red aggro which were probably more consistent all around.

I wonder if dropping wizards, and wiz lighting is an option? skewer the critics is clearly much stronger. should we be trying to double cast or copy it?

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
20 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
4 Wizard's Lightning (DAR) 152
4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
2 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
4 Electrostatic Field (GRN) 97
4 Guttersnipe (M19) 145
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Viashino Pyromancer (M19) 166
4 Ghitu Lavarunner (DAR) 127
2 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115

I think I'm settling with this for the next few dozens games and see how it goes. I'd like to ditch the steam-kin completely even though they are nice when they pop off, but they make for great removal bait instead of the guttersnipes.

You essentially end up with 16 1 drops if you have a wizard or spectacle up. Light Up The Stage/Risk Factors smooths out card draw and add damage if you have any electro/guttersnipes out and there are so many creature threats that need to be removed even if they aren't attacking that if your opp doesn't have a board wipe or spikey early healing they've probably lost. Counter spells haven't been a huge deal since CMC is so low. Only ran into one discard deck, but by the 2nd thought erasure I just conceded and moved on.

If Double Cast was instant spell then maybe I could see it, but at sorcery speed it's too risky.

Edit: Jeff Hoogland is running this iteration which seems pretty great in bo3.

Main -
4 Arclight Phoenix
3 Crash Through
4 Electrostatic Field
4 Guttersnipe
4 Light Up the Stage
1 Lightning Strike
18 Mountain
2 Risk Factor
4 Runaway Steam-Kin
4 Shock
4 Skewer the Critics
4 Tormenting Voice
4 Warlord's Fury

Sideboard -
2 Banefire
2 Fight with Fire
3 Goblin Chainwhirler
4 Lava Coil
1 Mountain
3 Vance's Blasting Cannons

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, I just realized draft decks only require 40 cards. LMAO. No f’ing wonder I sucked so bad.

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So, I just realized draft decks only require 40 cards. LMAO. No f’ing wonder I sucked so bad.

Maybe you should read some tutorials on deckbuilding, best archetypes, .. its a relatively low time investment compared to learning through experience.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Fucking LAND DESTRUCTION is a thing again? Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME?

No, I DON'T want to play, please remove ALL of my mana, thanks.

Fun in MTG is a zero sum game.

I'm not a good loser, but I compensate by being a great winner.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe you should read some tutorials on deckbuilding, best archetypes, .. its a relatively low time investment compared to learning through experience.

I did. I think most content creators (at least the ones I came across) assume players are familiar with draft rules (I’ve only ever drafted once) and don’t cover them and jump immediately into card synergy.

No need for douchey snark my dude. But hey, keep compensating with wins.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
for those who don't have all the lands and want a fairly cheap but pretty fun deck:

Gates :)

4 Circuitous Route (GRN) 125
2 Forest (XLN) 276
4 Gate Colossus (RNA) 232
4 Gatebreaker Ram (RNA) 126
4 Gates Ablaze (RNA) 102
4 Gateway Plaza (GRN) 247
3 Gift of Paradise (M19) 184
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Gruul Guildgate (RNA) 249
4 Guild Summit (GRN) 41
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
1 Island (XLN) 264
4 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 251
1 Mountain (XLN) 272
2 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192
4 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
4 Shimmer of Possibility (RNA) 51
4 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 257

2 Banefire (M19) 130
3 Cindervines (RNA) 161
3 Fiery Cannonade (XLN) 143
4 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Pelakka Wurm (M19) 192
1 Star of Extinction (XLN) 161

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
the bright side of bo1 being such a cancerous pit of rdw or radkos hell right now is I bet it's pushing a lot of people to try bo3

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
the bright side of bo1 being such a cancerous pit of rdw or radkos hell right now is I bet it's pushing a lot of people to try bo3

What rank? I stopped when I hit platinum because rewards suck vs other options, but played a dozen games this weekend to see how RNA changed things and I only have 1 RDW and 1 radkos. The rest are pretty varied.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What rank? I stopped when I hit platinum because rewards suck vs other options, but played a dozen games this weekend to see how RNA changed things and I only have 1 RDW and 1 radkos. The rest are pretty varied.

I usually play constructed event or non-ranked bo1, bo1 ranked does nothing for me

playing a lot more bo3 though now

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Oh quick play and constructed has been pretty varied for me as well. I like bo3 on paper, but in arena it's just too long to commit when I can usually pop 5-10 games an hour in bo1 in the same time frame.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm contributing to Rakdos hell in Ranked BO1 right now. If you care about ranking up, it just doesn't make sense to play anything other than a quick agro deck. Going 10-3 in 30 minutes with your agro deck beats going 3-0 in 30 minutes with your control deck.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Oh quick play and constructed has been pretty varied for me as well. I like bo3 on paper, but in arena it's just too long to commit when I can usually pop 5-10 games an hour in bo1 in the same time frame.

I never really understood the "too long of commitment" argument with bo3 unless you've got gold/gems into it, if it's causal bo3 and something comes up and you gotta go just concede out?

On the otherhand, I do like popping off a few bo1 games now and again, just cause you can see and play a ton more decks, but ya, i'm running into rdw, radkos or ww every bo1 game, i've built against it and am doing fine but it gets a little old so I shifted into bo3 - decks are way more varied

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I never really understood the "too long of commitment" argument with bo3 unless you've got gold/gems into it, if it's causal bo3 and something comes up and you gotta go just concede out?

On the otherhand, I do like popping off a few bo1 games now and again, just cause you can see and play a ton more decks, but ya, i'm running into rdw, radkos or ww every bo1 game, i've built against it and am doing fine but it gets a little old so I shifted into bo3 - decks are way more varied

It's just an efficiency thing. I typically play to grind out the dailies and then I'm done and that's mostly via constructed events. If I'm traveling for work then I have time to dedicate solely to MTGA since it is one of the few games I can play on my laptops, but I also just got a Switch so that will probably trump my gaming free time.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Wow...

I spent a few Wildcards upgrading my White Weenie deck for this new release, mostly because I didn't have enough wildcards to build a completely new deck, and holy shit I'm getting my ass handed to me.

Unexpectedly, my really heavy dino deck is doing pretty well, but it seems like it has more to do with the decks I'm being paired against. I see completely different decks depending on what I'm play and White Weenie def gets the most OP decks. It's weird.

Last edited: