MTG: Arena

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I think with one of the latest updates, they changed the folder structure of it, so now it's under Program Files->Wizards of the Coast instead of just being under MtGArena or whatever folder it was before. And of course the new location didn't install on the start menu programs, so ended up with just an empty start menu folder and had to go hunt down the game.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
S0 sitting at 1650 gems should i do the 1500 gem draft for allegiance or wait until i have enough for sealed? went 6-3 in core set draft to get to this point after spending my golds.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
S0 sitting at 1650 gems should i do the 1500 gem draft for allegiance or wait until i have enough for sealed? went 6-3 in core set draft to get to this point after spending my golds.

Depends on how confident you are drafting in general, and drafting RNA in particular. Getting to the break-even point is more skill dependant in BO3, but ultimately easier IF you have the skills.

That said, you can still end up getting an unlucky draft pool. Same # of cards added to your collection from the draft itself in BO1 vs. BO3, so if you completely lose out in either scenario, two 750-buyins nets you more cards.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah the buy in is 1500 gems though there is no 750 draft for allegiance atm.

oh i misread your post, i thought you were asking if you should wait for the BO1 RNA Draft that is coming out in the next few weeks. whoops, that's what i get for replying when i'm still waking up from my nap. :p

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
that aside, FUCK i'm back to being really frustrated. first 60 or so games with this Rakdos deck had me at a ~62% winrate, but now i've lost the majority of my last 30 matches and am down to 47.3%. is the meta changing that quickly? cripes.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Just look at all the crying about burn/aggro atm. Even my Gruul monster and r/g dinos are suffering a bit with all the hate decks in bo1. RDW burn is still doing work though since you can turn 4 kill so often.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MTGA somehow uninstalled itself again on my pc, this is really strange

That is a little worse than my scenario. I run Windows 10. Ever since the expansion patch, I have been unable to actually patch the game in any way. I cannot even download the game off their website. I do however have a laptop that runs Windows 7 that has no issues with game. So as a fix I had to copy the latest version of the game from my Laptop to my Desktop and then the game runs fine on my Desktop. The crappy part is that every time they patch, I have to repeat this process. It is really strange.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A lot of youtubers seem to unhappy with arena at the moment.

Saying that the red decks are out of control at the moment.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Wow...

I spent a few Wildcards upgrading my White Weenie deck for this new release, mostly because I didn't have enough wildcards to build a completely new deck, and holy shit I'm getting my ass handed to me.

Unexpectedly, my really heavy dino deck is doing pretty well, but it seems like it has more to do with the decks I'm being paired against. I see completely different decks depending on what I'm play and White Weenie def gets the most OP decks. It's weird.

For each deck I play, I face pretty much the same types of decks. The matchmaking is kind of ruining stuff for me. I guess it would average out if I played more but it's like I can almost forsee the type of deck i'm going to face based on which I choose to play. Weird.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
decided to make an Esper Spirits jank deck, but it's actually doing surprisingly well. slightly above 50% winrate right now, and the losses have mostly been close.

//Creatures (18):
4 Ministrant of Obligation
3 Tithe Taker
4 Orzhov Enforcer
4 Imperious Oligarch
3 Teysa Karlov

//Non-creature Spells (20):
3 Vraska's Contempt
3 Favorable Winds
4 Absorb
3 Kaya's Wrath
2 Mortify
2 Warrant // Warden
3 Glass of the Guildpact

//Lands (22):
4 Isolated Chapel
3 Drowned Catacomb
3 Glacial Fortress
1 Plains
1 Island
1 Swamp
3 Watery Grave
3 Godless Shrine
3 Hallowed Fountain

i was running Supreme Phantom at first, in fact it was the reason i decided to make an Esper spirits deck -- spirit tokens are black/white, but the Spirit "lord" card was blue, so yeah. but i realized Glass of the Guildpact will also buff my spirit tokens since they're multicolor, and Glass won't get wiped out by my own Kaya's Wraths, so the inspiration for the deck ended up getting replaced.

tried running my two copies of Seraph of the Scales, but felt like a lot of 4-drops for a 22 land deck.

obviously the goal is to load the board with Afterlife creatures and the two cards that buff them (Glass and Favorable Winds), drop a Kaya's Wrath if the opponent has a lot of creatures, then go to town.

Teysa Karlov seemed like a really good addition, and the few times she works she works really well, but she's basically a lightning rod for removal spells. i guess replacing her might be the place i start?

deck seems to function best as a semi-controlly midrange sort of thing, none of my wins have been very quick.

i wish there were more good Afterlife creatures, the remaining ones i could add are pretty underwhelming for their mana costs.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Been playing mono red upto plat now. Still need 2 more risk factors so i still run out of gas often.

BO3 ranked should of been in day 1 and i'm glad we are getting it next weel, Magic is NOT a game you can Bo1 with or will just devolve into turbo agro or extreme control (Shocking i know)

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Been playing mono red upto plat now. Still need 2 more risk factors so i still run out of gas often.

BO3 ranked should of been in day 1 and i'm glad we are getting it next weel, Magic is NOT a game you can Bo1 with or will just devolve into turbo agro or extreme control (Shocking i know)
Even on MTGO meta skews much more aggro in queues due to people wanting to get a lot of games in fast more than specific win rate compared to paper. This isn't new. Bo1 does tend to lead toward linear strategies and control decks tend to have to play generic answers due to diverse threats and no sideboards. You can minimize randomness by making events many more rounds but it'll still skew toward linearness. 10 rounds of Bo1 will give similar results to say 6 rounds or whatever of Bo3.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Mono red is good in the format with no sideboards, fucking news at 11?

Best of 1 is cancer and will be ruled by mono red until/if they ban cards specifically from best of 1, or you decide you want to play some g/w trash heap full of x/4s and lifegain to prey specifically on mono red.

Stop playing best of 1 if you're that sick of red aggro strategies and go play actual magic instead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Even on MTGO meta skews much more aggro in queues due to people wanting to get a lot of games in fast more than specific win rate compared to paper. This isn't new. Bo1 does tend to lead toward linear strategies and control decks tend to have to play generic answers due to diverse threats and no sideboards. You can minimize randomness by making events many more rounds but it'll still skew toward linearness. 10 rounds of Bo1 will give similar results to say 6 rounds or whatever of Bo3.

Well sure, if you are grinding queues you have to factor time as well as win %. A control deck that has a 65% win rate but takes 30 minutes to play versus an agro deck that has 55% win rate but you can grind them out in 10 minutes.

But BO3 will open up a lot more lines of attack in between two extremes. A malleable mid-range deck that can adapt via sideboard will certainly be popular in BO3.

Edit: I fear that the popularity of Arena will start to influence the design of paper magic. Cards like Knight of Autumn in my mind are designed for Arena and every time I see a coin flip card I cringe, normally you get the oddball coinflip card in a set but as soon as Arena comes out we get two in one set.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well sure, if you are grinding queues you have to factor time as well as win %. A control deck that has a 65% win rate but takes 30 minutes to play versus an agro deck that has 55% win rate but you can grind them out in 10 minutes.

But BO3 will open up a lot more lines of attack in between two extremes. A malleable mid-range deck that can adapt via sideboard will certainly be popular in BO3.

Edit: I fear that the popularity of Arena will start to influence the design of paper magic. Cards like Knight of Autumn in my mind are designed for Arena and every time I see a coin flip card I cringe, normally you get the oddball coinflip card in a set but as soon as Arena comes out we get two in one set.

They are already errating cards to function "smoother" on arena, so yea hold on to your butts the next few years while but daddy Hasbro lubes up.

Caliane

Mono red is good in the format with no sideboards, fucking news at 11?

Best of 1 is cancer and will be ruled by mono red until/if they ban cards specifically from best of 1, or you decide you want to play some g/w trash heap full of x/4s and lifegain to prey specifically on mono red.

Stop playing best of 1 if you're that sick of red aggro strategies and go play actual magic instead.
Funny thing is of course, mono red is not on top of the bo1 arena meta. boros or monowhite weenies is. Because it destroys mono red.
MTG Arena Meta Deck Lists | MTG Arena Pro | MTG Arena Pro

Mono red is popular, but not the best. For a number of reasons.
1. its cheap. Risk factor is the only rare. A new or f2p player can make a complete mono red burn deck, with relative ease compared to anything else.
But the first step in Meta vs non-meta, is just playing full decks, vs half full decks. i'm at this point. I would love to make a deck that is not mono red or merfolk, but making a complete deck would take like 10-20 of my wildcards. I really wanted to make a Gruul with RNA... I have 2 domris, and just got 1 rhythm yesterday. 0 cindervines, spellbreakers, etc... It'll take alot of wilds to make that gruul deck.

2. Its fast. As noted. the ranking system is based more on grinding, then actual player rating. so playing MORE gets you faster rank. CE rewards as well. they don't exactly scale up at the rate needed to justify Win %, over more games played. going 2/2 in CE with mono red is more time rewarding, then taking a slower deck and getting 5/0.
3. bo1 going first..

Wow...

I spent a few Wildcards upgrading my White Weenie deck for this new release, mostly because I didn't have enough wildcards to build a completely new deck, and holy shit I'm getting my ass handed to me.

Unexpectedly, my really heavy dino deck is doing pretty well, but it seems like it has more to do with the decks I'm being paired against. I see completely different decks depending on what I'm play and White Weenie def gets the most OP decks. It's weird.
December 2018 MTGA Matchmaking Update | MTG Arena Pro

if you are talking about "PLAY" then that is exactly what is happening. white weenies is #1 in "play", so you are being favored to be matched against decks competitive with it.
may want to look at the above link, to see what others are playing for their white weennies. you might have upgraded "wrong", expecting to counter a different meta. meaning, did you upgrade to counter fog/control, when monored/gruul counters is what was needed?

What beats mono red and white weenie? I have no idea. Golgari? life gain, removal and ramp? Selesnya, knights of autumn.?

Last edited:
  • 1Like