MTG: Arena

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You might be right, but I would probably enjoy that card too much to resist.
I mean, you can play that deck if you want. You can build the deck to play 4 druids + 4 hadanas reach + 4 krasis and go: turn 2 druid, turn 3 hadanas reach, tap druid for another druid, turn 4 put a counter on druid #2, play krasis for x=8, or more with an elf or two.

8/8 Flamples that attack for 16 (actually 18 once you put the counter on it) on turn 5 and gain you 4 life and draw you 4 cards are pretty good.

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean, you can play that deck if you want. You can build the deck to play 4 druids + 4 hadanas reach + 4 krasis and go: turn 2 druid, turn 3 hadanas reach, tap druid for another druid, turn 4 put a counter on druid #2, play krasis for x=8, or more with an elf or two.

8/8 Flamples that attack for 16 (actually 18 once you put the counter on it) on turn 5 and gain you 4 life and draw you 4 cards are pretty good.
Yeah I get it. I'm just not built to play dumb creature/midrange decks, although I have had success with them in the past. I much prefer being the 1 elixir of immortality win con in my Sphinx's Rev deck kind of person.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Clean up in Aisle One. Clean up in Aisle one

The Forums got massively hit in the General section this morning.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Are these servers pieces of shit or what? it's a damn card game and these things are DCing me and freezing all the time the past few days. big waste of time

Del

Vyemm Raider
It disconnected me in the middle of my games twice yesterday, but I was able to get back in with no consequences.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Soo as someone who just got his last dual deck. Are there any decks out there that are easy for me make without having to spend money opening packs? I don't mind burning my wildcards as long as it's worth it. Mind you I haven't played Magic since Ice Age came out and am just lost lol.

Caliane

mono-red burn, mono-blue are by far the cheapest.
mono-blue is both the cheapest AND easily top5 most competitive atm.

Mono-Blue Tempo Deck for Magic: the Gathering
^
This is the normal recommended. This is not quite the deck I run.

this is mine for bo1.
//Creatures (17):
4 Faerie Duelist
4 Merfolk Trickster
3 Tempest Djinn
2 Mist-Cloaked Herald
4 Siren Stormtamer

//Non-creature Spells (23):
2 Dive Down
3 Opt
2 Sinister Sabotage
2 Essence Capture
2 Deep Freeze
4 Wizard's Retort
4 Curious Obsession
4 Spell Pierce

//Lands (20):
4 Island
2 Island
3 Island
4 Island
2 Island
3 Island
2 Island

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Using all those different islands is important, keeps the opponent guessing.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
mono-red burn, mono-blue are by far the cheapest.
mono-blue is both the cheapest AND easily top5 most competitive atm.

Mono-Blue Tempo Deck for Magic: the Gathering
^
This is the normal recommended. This is not quite the deck I run.

this is mine for bo1.
//Creatures (17):
4 Faerie Duelist
4 Merfolk Trickster
3 Tempest Djinn
2 Mist-Cloaked Herald
4 Siren Stormtamer

//Non-creature Spells (23):
2 Dive Down
3 Opt
2 Sinister Sabotage
2 Essence Capture
2 Deep Freeze
4 Wizard's Retort
4 Curious Obsession
4 Spell Pierce

//Lands (20):
4 Island
2 Island
3 Island
4 Island
2 Island
3 Island
2 Island

-2 Sinister Sabotage
-2 Faerie Duelist
-2 Spell Pierce
+1 Mist-Cloaked
+2 Negate
+1 Dive Down
+1 Metamorphic Alteration
+1 Enchanting Melody

is what I use. It's actually different (I run fewer Merfolk Trickster) but I can't check since MTGA is down or something.

My main complaint with the list here is 3 dive down is mandatory, to me. This deck lives or dies on keeping bullshit creatures with or without Curious Obsession on them. I wouldn't even say no to 4. Metamorphic Alteration has saved me about a billion times, and Enchanting Melody takes control of Krasus-tier bullshit for 4 mana. Metamorphic Alteration can be used offensively and defensively too, which I love. Worst case scenario, you copy your own Tempest Djinn onto a merfolk or Mistcloaked.

EDIT: Also an important rules clarification on why Metamorphic Alteration is so good. You can copy the stupidass hexproof 7/6 trampler onto a creature of yours because it doesn't "target" it "chooses." Also a lot of times it's helpful to target their huge win condition and copy it into a Llanowar Elf they have out. The card is just really good for 1U.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I messed around with cards I had and here is my shitty deck. lol

4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
11 Forest (RIX) 196
4 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
2 Spore Swarm (DAR) 180
2 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
2 Banefire (M19) 130
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
13 Mountain (RIX) 195
2 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
2 Blanchwood Armor (M19) 169
2 Druid of the Cowl (M19) 177
4 Goblin Gathering (RNA) 104
4 Burn Bright (RNA) 93
1 Aggressive Mammoth (M19) 302
1 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
2 Siege-Gang Commander (DAR) 143

Mind you I'm not really into ranked yet. I did go 4-5 with it in the normal play.

Caliane

-2 Sinister Sabotage
-2 Faerie Duelist
-2 Spell Pierce
+1 Mist-Cloaked
+2 Negate
+1 Dive Down
+1 Metamorphic Alteration
+1 Enchanting Melody

is what I use. It's actually different (I run fewer Merfolk Trickster) but I can't check since MTGA is down or something.

My main complaint with the list here is 3 dive down is mandatory, to me. This deck lives or dies on keeping bullshit creatures with or without Curious Obsession on them. I wouldn't even say no to 4. Metamorphic Alteration has saved me about a billion times, and Enchanting Melody takes control of Krasus-tier bullshit for 4 mana. Metamorphic Alteration can be used offensively and defensively too, which I love. Worst case scenario, you copy your own Tempest Djinn onto a merfolk or Mistcloaked.

EDIT: Also an important rules clarification on why Metamorphic Alteration is so good. You can copy the stupidass hexproof 7/6 trampler onto a creature of yours because it doesn't "target" it "chooses." Also a lot of times it's helpful to target their huge win condition and copy it into a Llanowar Elf they have out. The card is just really good for 1U.
the more I play it the less I use dive down. only once or twice a game tops, if ever. Spell pierce has more value. Im less concerned with saving MY creatures, and more stopping the opp from putting anything down. so I favor the ess captures, and counterspells.
Tricksters are godly. tap a blocker, cancel a flyer for a kill or block, turn off niv, wildgrowth etc. enable 2 mana wiz retorts.
only 2 heralds. you never need 4. you only ever need 1 within 4 turns. And in their absence, duelists and sirens make solid plan Bs.
only 3 djinn for the same reason. you only ever need 1 to finish off a game. and you dont want it in the first 4 turns.

metamorphic alteration. yeah, I totally pioneered that, when I started playing mono-u! but also pulled it out of my deck in favor of Deep freeze. Deep freeze is brutal. Metamorphic alt works better in other deck imho where it has offensive and defensive uses. for us, its mostly offensive. I dont want to turn wildgrowth walker with 5 counters on it... into a mist herald with 5 counters, because thats the only thing I have on the field. etc. I dont want to turn a seraph of the scales into a faerie duelist, which still a 1/2 flyer. nor, a drake into a siren stormtamer, which again is a 1/1 flyer, and potentially a counter spell for anyone with blue mana.
Nor, is there much on MY field I would want to turn a into b. A duelist into a DJinn is about it. Possibly a herald into a Djinn if there is no blockers. But, in that case I already have a djinn on the field, and must already be winning. tricksters are kindof "dead" cards after casting, but a 2/2 wizard is still useful.
Deep freeze on the other hand, shuts down flyers, turns off Niv, shuts down ptermander/adapt, wildgrowth walkers, pelt collector, etc, etc.. it does cost more, which is rough. but its also way more direct. you do make a good point about being able to turn, say a duelist, into a Carnage tyrant to block one. I have seen more of that kind of opposition lately. Maybe I'll give metamorphic another shot.
to further explain the "offensive and defensive uses", I use metamorph in my merfolk deck. And its pure gold there. Jade bearers pump a river sneak, and add a counter on cast. great, but then its a dead 1/1. Even kumena speakers are solid 2/2s,, but lack late game power. Taking Either of those, and turning them into another deep river elite, another river sneak, or another mist binder is pure gold. or, conversely, turning an opponents threat into a useless 1/1 jade bearer, or tribal mist binder/elite.

melody is great, but also expensive. again, deep freeze to just remove that threat is more effective usually.

Last edited:

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I like Deep Freeze. I just think Faerie Duelist is overrated. Also I used to run 4 spell pierce, but wherever I'm at in ladder keeps putting me against Teferi Bullshit and they always save mana or have another counter, so I've played only 2 Pierce and found Negate to be more useful. Enchanting melody is pricey, sure, but grabbing that Wildgrowth Walker or Krasus to me has been super value.

I also prefer Dive Down because of that fucking Ravenous Chupacabra. This way the Djinn or the Herald with 2x curious obsession is just more likely to live. I've also been messing with playing 21 lands and a Tezzeret. Just wish there was a cheaper mono U planeswalker that fit here.

Last edited: