MTG: Arena

Caliane

yeah. I tried pteramanders as well for a while, early. After going something like 20+ games and not once managing to adapt it. I said, fuck this. back to duelists.
By the time I can adapt a pteramander, and leave mana open for a counterspell, I can also play a djinn.. with the small advantage of pteremanders being able to adapt on your opponents turn.

pteramander version can't rely on counterspells to proc adapt. you need opt and chart a course, both at least. maybe even, more. dive down is better here again, since you want to use that instant over a siren.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
2 things I need to vent about:

#1 The matchmaking in this game is absolute ass. I queue monoblue? Nothing but Monoblue and Monored matchups.

I queue my green stompy fun deck? Nothing but Golgari and Control.

#2 Growth spiral is not ok. Who thought it was a good idea to accelerate control decks into their boardwipes and Teferi's sooner?

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah they definitely messed with the matchmaking during one of latest updates. I'm playing a ton of mirror matches this last week.

Caliane

already had 2 games where I could metamorph duelists into djinn for wins. Alright I'll agree with it over deep freeze.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I mean, you can play that deck if you want. You can build the deck to play 4 druids + 4 hadanas reach + 4 krasis and go: turn 2 druid, turn 3 hadanas reach, tap druid for another druid, turn 4 put a counter on druid #2, play krasis for x=8, or more with an elf or two.

8/8 Flamples that attack for 16 (actually 18 once you put the counter on it) on turn 5 and gain you 4 life and draw you 4 cards are pretty good.

Sounds like Christmas

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Man... i just crafted Esper control...

this thing is insane.

I was playing magic the wrong way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Control decks way too permanent based for my tastes these days. Azcanta is delightful however.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
3 cry of canarium. i fear no red..

now fucking gates..

Esper Control should be matched pretty well vs. Gates. Keep Consecrate // Consume in your side board (Consecrate the Colossii out of their graveyard, Consume the Krassii and Ramii... We Rams). Mortify Gate Summit ASAP.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
most of my wildcards went to lands. I prioritized those over regular rares, and i swapped some equivalent when able, for example my 4th absorb is the the surveil counterspell. I did crafted 4 teferis and 2 search for A.

I honestly never played with such high power level cards, it is great.

Also my first match piloting the deck i decked myself out because I forgot my kill condition was a 4/4 flier, and i let it die.
So im like so.. how do i kill.. oh.. that guy...

Teferi is not a win condition by itself, it just gets me there faster.

Last edited:

Brand

Molten Core Raider
most of my wildcards went to lands. I prioritized those over regular rares, and i swapped some equivalent when able, for example my 4th absorb the surveil counterspell. I did crafted 4 teferis and 2 search for A.

I honestly never played with such high power level cards, it is great.

Also my first match piloting the deck i decked myself out because I forgot my kill condition was a 4/4 flier, and i let it die.
So im like so.. how do i kill.. oh.. that guy...

Teferi is not a win condition by itself, it just gets me there faster.

Teferi can be used as a win condition. Use a teferi to bounce itself into your deck. Repeat, while banishing a permanent every turn.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Teferi can be used as a win condition. Use a teferi to bounce itself into your deck. Repeat, while banishing a permanent every turn.
mm so that is how that works.. I guess multiple emblems will speed that process.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
#2 Growth spiral is not ok. Who thought it was a good idea to accelerate control decks into their boardwipes and Teferi's sooner?

I really enjoy growth spiral as a card, its not being played in enough archetypes. Its probably worth playing in pretty much every deck that can cast it reliably.

That being said its a two color ramp card that only ramps if you have lands in play, while it is superior to rampant growth and gift of paradise given that land in hand, if you are stuck on land and fail to draw one, its a card that cycles for UG and counts as an instant being cast, which is pretty fucking terrible.

Am guessing it will soon be played in modern in a deck like this.

Yeah they definitely messed with the matchmaking during one of latest updates. I'm playing a ton of mirror matches this last week.

Same thing in limited.

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I really enjoy growth spiral as a card, its not being played in enough archetypes. Its probably worth playing in pretty much every deck that can cast it reliably.

That being said its a two color ramp card that only ramps if you have lands in play, while it is superior to rampant growth and gift of paradise given that land in hand, if you are stuck on land and fail to draw one, its a card that cycles for UG and counts as an instant being cast, which is pretty fucking terrible.

Am guessing it will soon be played in modern in a deck like this.

Same thing in limited.

I like to compare it to Llanowar elf, except it draws a card and is not easily removable. For one blue more. As an instant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
llanowar elf turns on removal, disregards hand state, and of course isn't an instant, so the comparison is not very good

green decks that go for the creature swarm approach play llanowar, control decks play spiral, they aren't interchangeable

growth spiral could be an excellent card in a blue lands deck in legacy, llanowar is unplayable

i am pretty sure the instant play a land + cantrip thing will prove to be extremely strong along with loam ..

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Pretty good variety in the Twitch rivals tournament. I was fairly surprised that Selesnya Tokens won though. Let's see if there is a resurgence from all the netdeckers.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Mythic Championship II Format and the London Test

THE LONDON MULLIGAN

For Mythic Championship II in London, we're going to be trying out a new mulligan rule that we have been playtesting internally for some time. We believe the new rule smooths out opening hand decisions even more, though it certainly has some implications for formats like Modern.

The rule we'll be testing in London is as such: When you mulligan for the Nth time, you draw seven cards, then put N cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

So, for example, let's say you're taking your second mulligan of a game, what we often call a mulligan to five. You would draw seven cards, select two, and place those two on the bottom of your library in any order. Then you would decide whether to keep or mulligan again.

While we have been testing this mulligan rule internally for a while, we are treating this tournament as a test. Once our game designers have reviewed the tournament, spoken to players, and looked at the data, we'll decide whether to implement the mulligan rule wider.