MTG: Arena

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mythic Championship II Format and the London Test

THE LONDON MULLIGAN

For Mythic Championship II in London, we're going to be trying out a new mulligan rule that we have been playtesting internally for some time. We believe the new rule smooths out opening hand decisions even more, though it certainly has some implications for formats like Modern.

The rule we'll be testing in London is as such: When you mulligan for the Nth time, you draw seven cards, then put N cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

So, for example, let's say you're taking your second mulligan of a game, what we often call a mulligan to five. You would draw seven cards, select two, and place those two on the bottom of your library in any order. Then you would decide whether to keep or mulligan again.

While we have been testing this mulligan rule internally for a while, we are treating this tournament as a test. Once our game designers have reviewed the tournament, spoken to players, and looked at the data, we'll decide whether to implement the mulligan rule wider.
That sounds fucking terrible.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That sounds fucking terrible.

Hypergeometric math is what, like 98% to hit a leyline if you mull all the way down to 1? I look forward to watching that game on camera vs dredge.

This probably also makes modern belcher actually playable. I cannot imagine this becoming the actual new rule after whatever dumpster fire happens in London, unless their plan is just to burn modern to the ground to force Arena Modern on everyone.

Sterling

El Presidente
That new mulligan would be pretty wild actually playing dredge in vintage. Or almost any vintage deck really. Would be less stupid if it was scry N times or something instead.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
It'll probably be fine in Standard and Limited but never ever anywhere else. I don't like the idea of then having different mulligans for different formats.

This is totally fine in Standard. I'm also fine with them having different mulligans for different formats. Most competition is Standard/Limited. Keep it how it is for Vintage/Legacy/Modern.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This is totally fine in Standard. I'm also fine with them having different mulligans for different formats. Most competition is Standard/Limited. Keep it how it is for Vintage/Legacy/Modern.

Different mulligans for different formats plus an additional layer of RNG fuckery thrown on top of Arena to create less games in which at least one player didn't get to actually play the game rubs me the wrong way and reeks of deeper problems but I'm willing to concede it might just be autism.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Scry N is okay too. I think the way it is now is garbage, and it's been garbage. There was that website that ran an analysis of "do I get manascrewed often" and it came up with "our data shows that 69% of all tracked games fall within a healthy range" which to me is a shit ratio. Other games have done it better, the mana issue that is, MTG just has usually better lore, better art, and better other systems, and it's larger established playerbase. I don't think saying 69% of games there's no manascrew/flood is good. Every time I've quit Magic for any length of time I've been pissed about lands. The website in question (Debunking the Evil Shuffler | Who Tracks the Trackers?) calls it "debunked" but to me sitting there like a jackass either the victim or the "beneficiary" of manafuck is garbage--and it happens 30% of the time! Scry N/London Mulligan does something to address this, though I think there needs to be a major design shift to fix it permanently.

I have some ideas on how to do that but the idea of land is so entrenched and the 1 card per turn...I'll probably quit at some point for some length of time again due to it, I'm sure.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Still think Scry N is a better middle ground. Also 3 mono blue tempo decks in top 8 of Cleveland.

Scry N almost seems more overpowered to me. London Mulligan leaves you guessing if you'll draw into your curve, Scry N let's you set up the ideal curve for N turns.

Sterling

El Presidente
Scry N almost seems more overpowered to me. London Mulligan leaves you guessing if you'll draw into your curve, Scry N let's you set up the ideal curve for N turns.
Scry N would give you more opportunity to keep some cards on top instead of the bottom, London mulligan gives you much higher control over your actual opening hand. While Scry N would be better in some instances London Mulligan will be better in a much higher percentage of hands.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
4 Pteramanders in each of them, I knew that card was the right call in Mono blue.

This meta is about consistency and when you can run 8-12 one drops that are good and Curious Obsession on unblockables or flyers...it's consistent as hell. I have no doubt that I could grind to the max medal or whatever in MTGA with it, but I don't quite care enough yet. I think I'm 2 below max. I prefer playing in person and 4-0ing at FNM with the odd 3-1 in there.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm assuming that the London Mulligan is the way that Arena best of one games get you more consistent lands using the shuffler.

So if they want to have best of one be their online competitive streaming format, they need to have the players control it to avoid accusations of RNG bias with the shuffler.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I can't handle this meta, mono blue completely ruins it for me. How the fuck are these nog mono blue players so fucking slow and manually tap lands. how

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I can't handle this meta, mono blue completely ruins it for me. How the fuck are these nog mono blue players so fucking slow and manually tap lands. how

Gates players on turn one taking 15 seconds to play their comes-into-play-tapped land. Monored players thinking about their next move when they have 1 card in hand. B/G explore players taking the maximum time for EVERY EXPLORE TRIGGER.

• 2Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
This guy is now Plat Rank 4.

I would like to thank Teferi and the academy for this.

Imagine reanimator with the London mulligan. Reanimator requires only 2-3 cards to win, also tron would be lolsy with the london mulligan.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I haven't even hit Mythic yet. I keep saying I'm going to grind it out and then I actually have like, work to do on my shifts and stuff...

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Mythic is easy, just win 19 in a row somehow with Rakdos Aggro to go from like plat something to mythic, that's what I did!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This guy is now Plat Rank 4.

I would like to thank Teferi and the academy for this.

Imagine reanimator with the London mulligan. Reanimator requires only 2-3 cards to win, also tron would be lolsy with the london mulligan.

It got much harder for me to progress once I hit Plat 4. Might have to step up your game.