MTG: Arena

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
maybe make players discard down to 5 before you start the london mulligan part, cause it does seem a tad much for eternal formats.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
maybe just me but i'm just not having a great time in bo3 in this meta as opposed to pre allegiance

hopefully spark brings back some of what I enjoyed but can't put my finger on - how's bo1 going? Still retarded?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
maybe just me but i'm just not having a great time in bo3 in this meta as opposed to pre allegiance

hopefully spark brings back some of what I enjoyed but can't put my finger on - how's bo1 going? Still retarded?

yeah i agree lately as far as BO3. lots of people talking about how this is one of the best Standard eras in a long time, but i'm not too keen on any of the Tier 1 decks. too many good "answer" cards in the format i think, currently it's not a battle of which player can get the best plan rolling but rather which player can more effectively shut down the other player.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This Cascade event is interesting. Right now I'm running a green stompy deck in it, but I'm brainstorming some ways to exploit the Cascade effect... Casting Spectacle cards at their lower cost allows for more powerful Cascades per mana spent. If you want to go control-ish you can have Duress be your only 1-CMC card in your deck, which guarantees at least a peek at their hand on turn two or three. I wonder if it's worth it to run off-color low-CMC cards since you don't have to pay the mana cost?

This green stompy works well tho. Right now my only 1-CMC cards in it are Llanowar Elves, Pelt Collector, and Adventurous Impulse. Thinking about dropping Impulse tho, since Llanowar Elves is stronger for ramping.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Took four games before I realized that instants casted on your opponent's turn also Cascade.

Wilderness Reclamation Flash deck maybe?

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Izzet or rakdos burn with electrostatic wall/guttersnipes my dude.

Izzet gives you some card draw instants for opponent turn + electromancer to go off once guttersnipe is down.

Rakdos gives you sword point diplomancy and sovereigns bite.

Rest is shocks, lightning strikes, risk factor, other burn spells.

I 5-0d with both usually turn 4 kills.

Is nexus banned in the event? I was a bit concerned when a couple opponents casted wilderness rec but I was able to burn them out right after so I didnt see their win con.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Lavinia, Azorius Renegade is really powerful in this, lol. Counters any spell that was cast without mana. Surprised this is the first opponent I've seen play one

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thought Erasure + Duress and Divest has been really strong for me, tho I need to work on my late game. Had a couple opponents concede on turn 3 after hitting them with Thought Erasure + Duress on both turn 2 and turn 3. Kind of a bummer having four of your cards ripped out of your hands before you even play your third land, I suppose.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Now that we hav BO3 direct challenges and discord integration, would any of you been interested in having a fun tournament? We can run it like an official event but just between FOH/guild people/your friends.

I don't have anything for prize support but maybe @a_skeleton_03 or Amod Amod can do a title or something if they wanted.

We could call it the FoH Open, I'd volunteer to run it. And it can take place over multiple days so people have time to find their opponents and play.

Let me know.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Is nexus banned in the event? I was a bit concerned when a couple opponents casted wilderness rec but I was able to burn them out right after so I didnt see their win con.

Nexus is banned in all BO1 formats.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Now that we hav BO3 direct challenges and discord integration, would any of you been interested in having a fun tournament? We can run it like an official event but just between FOH/guild people/your friends.

I don't have anything for prize support but maybe @a_skeleton_03 or Amod Amod can do a title or something if they wanted.

We could call it the FoH Open, I'd volunteer to run it. And it can take place over multiple days so people have time to find their opponents and play.

Let me know.

i had been thinking about starting a tournament myself, yeah i'm down. you've got IRL experience running tournaments i think, so you'd probably be a better choice than me to set it up anyway.

the way i envisioned it was 1 round a week, and it's up to each individual pairing to communicate and set up a time to get their match for the week completed. sort of like the sealed leagues i've seen some LGS run IRL.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
fastest way to grind seems to be playing an agro deck in bronze, instantly conceding two games every few games so you never actually rank up

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
fastest way to grind seems to be playing an agro deck in bronze, instantly conceding two games every few games so you never actually rank up

Yeah but you never lose any rank progress in bronze I thought? Or did they change this? The way it was before, even a 1% win rate would get you out of bronze eventually.

Sterling

El Presidente
And what you want to do is keep playing against the new people and shitters over and over instead of finding real matches?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yeah but you never lose any rank progress in bronze I thought? Or did they change this? The way it was before, even a 1% win rate would get you out of bronze eventually.

I'm hovering at silver 4. I haven't played dozens of games, but it seems pretty easy to stretch it.

With a white weenie deck at that level its usually a win in under 3 minutes, conceding and finding a new game takes me about 12 seconds.

And what you want to do is keep playing against the new people and shitters over and over instead of finding real matches?

I have every card to make every top deck, that doesn't prevent me from wanting to find ways to exploit the reward system.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I dipped out of MTGA for a bit and now I'm playing it a bit more. What's the best mode to acquire cards now? I used to play when the 500g constructed event gave out bonkers rewards, then it was nerfed hard, and now the rewards feel mediocre for getting 7 wins. Is it still the constructed event? I have zero interest in the draft modes.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I dipped out of MTGA for a bit and now I'm playing it a bit more. What's the best mode to acquire cards now? I used to play when the 500g constructed event gave out bonkers rewards, then it was nerfed hard, and now the rewards feel mediocre for getting 7 wins. Is it still the constructed event? I have zero interest in the draft modes.

i think you're better off saving your coins for buying packs now if you're not into drafting. the new mechanics that avoid 5th copies of Rares / Mythics makes packs a lot more appealing than they used to be.

tho i'm just about to the point where i'll be saving all my coins for the next expansion. War of the Spark will be released in Arena on April 25th. i really enjoy Ixalan draft (for some reason) so i'll be dropping some coins into that. but afterwards, just looking to the future.

Sterling

El Presidente
Installed, got my 15 wins, very exciting. It's really cool when someone plays a real deck against your deck that's within like 5 to 10 cards of the original precon. Nothing like getting attacked by a Goblin Electromancer and 2 Phoenix on turn 3 while my board is 2 Plains.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users