MTG: Arena

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Is there any reason to believe this game won't be closed down at a random point in the future, like all the previous iterations?

$10 million prize pool for esports for 2019.

If MTGA becomes the defacto way to qualify for tournaments outside of paper magic then it's not going anywhere.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not exactly dumbed down rules, but they did not have full control mode and they left more complex cards off the list of cards to play.

You also only got 1 of each mythic, 2 of each rare, 3 of each uncommon and only for commons did you get a playset. As mentioned, many cards were left out due to complexity/coding issues. It wasn't real full deal Magic. No drafting, you could buy packs but once you got the cards for the set that was it, you couldn't buy them any more. People were sitting on enormous piles of gold at the end just from playing that they couldn't spend since they owned all the cards.

Arena is totally different. Wizards has their full marketing machine going behind this, they even restructured the Pro Tour, the crown jewel of Magic tournaments, to accommodate it. They're sponsoring pros to stream Arena on twitch, a lot of them in fact. They've realised they need to get a solid, official online client going or they are going to lose to the Hearthstones of the world. Finally. MTGO looks like a high school final programming project that the guy finished up last minute to turn in on time. Arena while far from perfect, is indisputably higher quality.

It was shitty what they did with Duels, but I highly doubt Arena will suffer the same fate.

Caliane

didn't those previous releases have dumbed down rule sets as well?

Either way, sounds like this isn't for you Punko Punko .
I think he made a solid point.
"I dont want to invest in yet another game they will abandon".
It is hard to look at that track record and wonder if its worth spending any cash on this.. You can of course just play f2p.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
FUCK. THIS MOTHERFUCKING. GAME.

It's literally feast or famine in this fucking retarded alogrithmic mouthbreathing piece of shit.

The game before this I drew 13 mana???????????????????????????????????????????????????

People white-knighting this shit ( Mist Mist ) are doing so out of their fanboyisms.

Capture.PNG

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Mist Mist hates himself. Or at least plays someone that hates himself on the internet. Either way, maybe that means you should play something else. I was doing well with Boros weenie but decided to put the game on hold after the new PoE league started up. I don't think it's healthy to play this game unless you can invest enough time to understand the meta and feel ok to lose some of that time to bullshit losses. As in, this has to be your main game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
FUCK. THIS MOTHERFUCKING. GAME.

It's literally feast or famine in this fucking retarded alogrithmic mouthbreathing piece of shit.

The game before this I drew 13 mana???????????????????????????????????????????????????

People white-knighting this shit ( Mist Mist ) are doing so out of their fanboyisms.

View attachment 188185

Lol do you track your games? Id bet your near or over 50% with that white deck from what little i see.

I play mostly land destro or fog / mill lately and i sit around 50% and those are nowhere near the t1 meta decks, which ive gotten bored of.

Either way, this game may not be for you.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Mist Mist hates himself. Or at least plays someone that hates himself on the internet. Either way, maybe that means you should play something else. I was doing well with Boros weenie but decided to put the game on hold after the new PoE league started up. I don't think it's healthy to play this game unless you can invest enough time to understand the meta and feel ok to lose some of that time to bullshit losses. As in, this has to be your main game.

I mean I've played a good bit of magic. Mostly commander, but I've never experienced anything like what this game shits out.

There is no bell-curve in this game. It's a flat line.

It feelss like the system is setup so that:
25% of the time I get mana screwed
25% of the time I'm right on the edge of being screwed
25% of the time I'm right on the edge of being flooded
25% of the time I get mana flooded

WTF?

The mana curve is so inconsistent.

The game where I pulled 13 mana, I ended up being able to pull 5 mana and reshuffle. The next 4 cards I drew were mana! I only had 20 mana in my entire hand.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Lol do you track your games? Id bet your near or over 50% with that white deck from what little i see.

I play mostly land destro or fog / mill lately and i sit around 50% and those are nowhere near the t1 meta decks, which ive gotten bored of.

Either way, this game may not be for you.

I was tracking my games, in an effort to dig into my opponents decks, but the tracker I was using is garbage, so I stopped.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I mean I've played a good bit of magic. Mostly commander, but I've never experienced anything like what this game shits out.

There is no bell-curve in this game. It's a flat line.

It feelss like the system is setup so that:
25% of the time I get mana screwed
25% of the time I'm right on the edge of being screwed
25% of the time I'm right on the edge of being flooded
25% of the time I get mana flooded

WTF?

The mana curve is so inconsistent.

The game where I pulled 13 mana, I ended up being able to pull 5 mana and reshuffle. The next 4 cards I drew were mana! I only had 20 mana in my entire hand.
I've never played commander, but my meager understanding makes me think it's kinda casual magic? Could the increased competition inherent to an online game possibly be amplifying the power, and thus your recollection, that these shuffling occurrences have?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've never played commander, but my meager understanding makes me think it's kinda casual magic? Could the increased competition inherent to an online game possibly be amplifying the power, and thus your recollection, that these shuffling occurrences have?

I have several standard decks, I've just mostly played commander over the last few years. I've even gone by the local shop to play in those release events.

So, while I'm not used to competitive magic, I don't think I'm a noob.

Maybe it's just the White Weenie deck, lol? I'm hovering around Silver I in ranked.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I am lifetime around 60% win rate and I play majority of my own brews or random jank. I hardly get mana screwed/flooded enough to get angsty about it. Build better decks or something.

Here is a pretty 19-3 b01 run when I played last.

Edit: Also learn when to just move on from bad hands and concede right away or when the game is actually over. It'll make the experience much better. Playing out a 30 minute game that was lost 10 minutes in and not knowing that can be frustrating.

VMwpj96.jpg

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I was tracking my games, in an effort to dig into my opponents decks, but the tracker I was using is garbage, so I stopped.

I use arena pro, works pretty good overall, could be much better

I play 20ish games a day and ya, I'll go threw a few games of horrible rng in a row but overall i'd say it's consistent and most games play out 'fairly', or however you want to put it.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Either way, sounds like this isn't for you Punko Punko .

I guess me skipping on a game I've played for 20 years, not due to the core product but due to the marketing plan behind it summarizes the gaming industry pretty well.

They know what game concepts work, they just don't find themselves generating enough revenue with a normal sales model.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
For me, this game has taken a back seat to Hearthstone and I'm kinda shocked but at the same time, not so much. I've played Hearthstone extensively the past 5 years and while I took a lot of time off the past 6 months, I still did my dailies, saved my gold and loaded up on free legendaries this last expansion. I can play pretty much any deck in Hearthstone and experiment to my heart's desire. It gets repetitive, boring, and the RnG will always be terrible but there are some decks I really like playing right now.

In this game, my collection is still small and I've been saving gold for the next expansion. The weekly tourney options are usually the same shit since I started in early October which means a whole lot of casual because I'm tired of just getting some Dominaria and Ravnica packs. I'm sure I'll be much more involved with the next expansion but there's definitely a lull in my interest until then. MtGA needs to really rotate their weekly options better. I got tired of the same options every week when playing MtG at the local store too but it was a whole lot easier to convince the players to do something different there. This is the better game but it can get pretty boring especially since the primary deck types have been around for decades. MtG has too many tourney options for this to be so limited. I'd love some Commander, and options for a retooled Modern.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Don't worry.

Based on their previous games it is likely they will overbalance the F2P income at some point, and once the majority of players is sitting on a pile of gold, they'll cancel the game and launch MTGA: 2020

• 2Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

event red | MTG Arena Deck List | MTG Arena Pro

Pandemonium constructed event seems super good for any new and old players.
0 wins returns 100g, 1 rare, and 1 uncommon card.

So, even with NO wins, thats 400g for 1 rare and 1 uncommon. 200g per.
Vs a booster being 1000g for 8 cards, 1 rare or mythic, 2 uncommons, and 5 commons. 125g per card total.

Wins of course makes this deal even better.

As a new, f2p player, I tried a couple decks, with poor results. The above Mono red haste however, seems to be doing fantastic.
For those with more complete decks, you see the obvious. haste, treason, direct damage. and a few high trades like pyromancer, goblin inst, hatchling. Those with more complete collections can stream line it a ton, im sure.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tried red and found it to be ok. Cannot complain as I did get an Azor's Gate from it. That card is part of a fun deck. Having a little more fun with Green/Black in the event. It is a good event for a player building a set but I always cringe at the 2 loss out events.

So as I suspected, Black/Green pretty much rapes this format. Ripjaw Raptor is awesome. You can put him down with an empty board and watch him draw you a bunch of cards. The Creature damage is not optional. Plague Crafter is good for the multi- creature scenario. I considered the Nullhide Ferox just because of the Hexproof. Eldest Reborn also helpful due to people playing Carnage Tyrant. Its a fun deck.

Last edited:

Woffer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dunno about you but mythic seem to be heavily weighted as a reward in the event. Seems to me to be an upgrade on the reare every 3-4 completions. Even had one where i had a rare and a mythic instead of uncommon/rare

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree oddly enough. I have gotten 2 consecutive Mythics so far. Thankfully none that I already had a set of.