MTG thread

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
As opposed to Thoughtseize > Goyf > Abrupt Decay?
EOT Exarch > Twin?
Amulet > Summer Bloom > Win?

We're talking about a format with a massive amount of linear combos where no deck can survive if it isn't either pushing a fast combo of its own or packing serious disruption.

I'm sorry, but you're not convincing me that Counterspell is stronger than Thoughtseize or Lightning Bolt. It just isn't.
I think the twin card is a mistake should be at least restricted. The same way birthing pod was banned, when every-deck is either beat the card or join them, something is wrong.
If you want to see how bad Counterspell is for standard format. Imaging delver with CC, Revelations decks with it, even Mono blue aggro on the sideboard.

I don't see lighting-bolt as bad, since you have 20 to begin with, plus plenty of ways to prevent it, or regen.

Ps: Do not google "twin magic" at work =(

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
For the MTGO vets. I just started playing mtgo, built a budget Modern and Standard deck. I had the day off today so I decided to draft. I went 1-2 in the pack per win draft and the cards I got have a trade value of 27 tickets. I got Hangarback Walker and a Nissa and 1 pack.

Should I trade and draft again to build my collection?

Also which is the better draft formats to play going forward?

Sterling

El Presidente
Draft is pretty poor EV compared to constructed from a purely financial standpoint. It is however a good way to learn creature combat and finding unusual lines of play.

Sterling

El Presidente
Depends on what you want. It's probably cheaper that way if that's a major concern. There's more variety of play in limited and it can help you develop some different skills. I don't play much online anymore but personally I like playing a variety of formats including a lot of limited, but honestly you should just do what you enjoy more. My guess is currently you're probably not winning enough to go infinite so just pick what you like. If you get good enough you can go infinite playing constructed. Very few people can go infinite playing limited over the long term.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Depends on what you want. It's probably cheaper that way if that's a major concern. There's more variety of play in limited and it can help you develop some different skills. I don't play much online anymore but personally I like playing a variety of formats including a lot of limited, but honestly you should just do what you enjoy more. My guess is currently you're probably not winning enough to go infinite so just pick what you like. If you get good enough you can go infinite playing constructed. Very few people can go infinite playing limited over the long term.
I'm not new to magic and before my wife got preggers I was drafting 3 times a week at my LGS and playing constructed modern and standard twice a week so im not new by any means.

I'm playing online so I can have a place to jam games all day when I have late nights etc. I want to establish a couple standard and modern decks and just play. But my budget currently is pretty minimal. My budget standard deck is winning a fair % so maybe ill give constructed Standard a try until I can afford modern.

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm not new to magic and before my wife got preggers I was drafting 3 times a week at my LGS and playing constructed modern and standard twice a week so im not new by any means.

I'm playing online so I can have a place to jam games all day when I have late nights etc. I want to establish a couple standard and modern decks and just play. But my budget currently is pretty minimal. My budget standard deck is winning a fair % so maybe ill give constructed Standard a try until I can afford modern.
Well if budget is a real issue then yes, constructed is better. You could always sprinkle in the odd draft or Sealed daily or whatever when you build up some tix or just build better decks.

Sterling

El Presidente
There's not hing at all reasonable about Tinker. It seems so innocuous until you play it.
Even when it was in Standard getting Processor or Phyrexian Colossus was insane. Just boggles my mind that he's so against actual Counterspell but wants degenerate combo decks.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nice work. I used to speculate a bit, but I just haven't messed with it in forever. Had I thought about it I could have shipped you a couple hundred tix.

Also Lendarios still not responding to my question on how he feels Tinker is reasonable and counterspell is OP.
I don't think he ever actually said Tinker is reasonable, he's just saying he likes playing degenerate combo decks and hates having them disrupted by counterspells.

To which I say boo fucking hoo. I would have loved to play you with my geddon stax legacy deck. It was about as budget as legacy got back then, but man did I ever shit on combo decks.

Even when it was in Standard getting Processor or Phyrexian Colossus was insane. Just boggles my mind that he's so against actual Counterspell but wants degenerate combo decks.
It shouldn't boggle your mind. Anyone who loves combo hates counterspell. It's the classic rock-paper-scissors of magic. Control beats combo beats aggro beats control.

Sterling

El Presidente
It shouldn't boggle your mind. Anyone who loves combo hates counterspell. It's the classic rock-paper-scissors of magic. Control beats combo beats aggro beats control.
Ok, let me rephrase. I can understand not liking the decks that give your favorite decks issues. But saying your deck should have free reign is pretty myopic and dumb. Also all the decks he listed had Counterspell around with them in Standard and were just fine. You could actually learn how to play against control decks like everyone else.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Counterspells aren't even that good against modern combo decks. Discard spells are better. It's a little weird.

Sterling

El Presidente
Counterspells aren't even that good against modern combo decks. Discard spells are better. It's a little weird.
This largely has to do with the nature of the counterspells in the format. Reprint Counterspell, Unban Jace, Punishing Fire, and BBE I'd imagine you'd end up with some real control decks then without eliminating combo or creature decks.