MTG thread

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yup. Video on reddit of him announcing it so his "friends" can join in. In other words, start a speculative bubble to run the price up even higher. He's pretty unapologetic about it and knows what he's doing. It's all perfectly legal, it's just scummy as shit. I wish I knew what his ebay/tcg/whatever storefront was called so I could ensure I never send him a nickel.
I mean he keeps doing this and it's making waves in the community. It won't be long until someone realizes they can just rob that kid from facebook and walk away with like 100k in cardboard.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
I already own a set of LEDs, but fuck that guy. It's such a cancerous thing for people to start inflating shit just because they can.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
He's the hero MTG deserves. If he has the bankroll to ruin enough of the secondary market, or others start emulating him, it could finally force wotcs hand to start reprinting shit more frequently.

Or just let legacy die a slow painful death, either or.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like how every time one of these buy-outs happens, mtg finance's first responses are "IT'S NOT A BUYOUT, IT'S A NATURAL PRICE ADJUSTMENT BASED ON DEMAND AND COMMUNITY ORDERING PATTERNS AND YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING"

Followed by guy posting video bragging about it being a targeted buyout.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In a few years when Legacy finishes dying I hope they introduce another eternal format that is Modern plus all of the other sets that are post-Reserved list. That would be Modern + Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, Prophecy, Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse, Odyssey, Torment, Judgment, Onslaught, Legions, and Scourge.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
From what I've seen this one isn't really sticking. The panic buyers aren't going for it and the market price is barely above what if was.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
People are catching on and snagging other inexpensive cards they can't make any more of. Wouldn't surprise me to see a few others before this frenzy stops.

Sterling

El Presidente
And here I kept feeling bad because I kept forgetting to bring a pile of Cities down to my store. Sometimes procrastination pays off!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If my Serra Sanctums/Cradles go up over $200 I have 0 compunctions against selling that shit and just buying some $3 4th Wave Black Core counterfeits to replace them in my EDH decks. Not like I'm going to play Legacy Elves in a tournament anytime ever.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Given that this weekend is the legacy open, there's no telling what will happen to prices by Monday.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
In a few years when Legacy finishes dying I hope they introduce another eternal format that is Modern plus all of the other sets that are post-Reserved list. That would be Modern + Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, Prophecy, Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse, Odyssey, Torment, Judgment, Onslaught, Legions, and Scourge.
legacy isn't going to "finish dying" any time soon, thats just plain salt bs

its insanely popular in europe, my LGS has far more legacy players then any other format, and legacy prices aren't even remotely close to vintage, which still gets played

prices will continue rising, and if legacy doubles in price, it will still be popular and the cards will still be liquid

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's really not going anywhere. There are certainly areas where it is more active and less active, but the format is still pretty strong. Prices wouldn't be so high if it weren't.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We'll check back in 2019 and see how things are going.
why would legacy die due to prices on cards, when vintage prices are a lot higher, and that is still being played and those prices are still rising?

there really is 0 reason to believe that

even more so since cards like moat and cradle also appeal to EDH player, which p9 does not

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I bought this list in december 2012, for 500?, when I picked up legacy again after a several year long break:

14 LANDS
4 Polluted Delta
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Bloodstained Mire /
2 Underground Sea
1 Badlands
1 Volcanic Island
1 Swamp
1 Island
CREATURES
37 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Infernal Tutor
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Therapy
3 Cabal Ritual
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
3 Burning Wish
2 Duress
1 Grim Tutor
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Past in Flames
1 Ad Nauseam
9 OTHER SPELLS
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Lotus Petal
1 Chrome Mox

This list has went up 400% in price since then, I don't think legacy has crumbled yet.

We got room for another 400% np
smile.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
400% growth based nearly entirely on reserve list card scarcity, wouldn't exactly call that healthy.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Storm isn't going to be played without LEDs, legacy in general isn't playable without the key reserved list cards.

I'm pretty sure WOTC is extremely happy with this, after all, if a reserved list staple is big in price, a card nearly as good will be pricey also.

They can't reprint reserved list stuff since that would ruin the confidence people have in the secondary market, but they sure can print new cards with similar yet slightly inferior effects.

Tabernacle with an upkeep of 1? Tabernacle with an upkeep of milling the top 3 cards of your deck? Tabernacle with an upkeep of 1 life?

Plenty of possibilities to print stuff nearly as good as the originals, ensuring product gets sold and hype is generated.

I am willing to bet that within the next 5 years they will print flip-lands, aka a land that can be fetched as 2 types of basic, which can be played as either one type and remains that type for the rest of the game. In some situations they would be superior to duals, in general they'd be inferior .. but they'd sure as fuck make people buy a ton of sealed product, without significantly affecting the price of the original.

Looking atUR Pyromancer - diophan @ mtgtop8.comfor example, these decks have an average price of >10k$?

Format still gets played. They could make a card slightly better then monastery mentor to sell more sealed product, but they might as well print cards which are slightly inferior to the power cards, when aiming for sales both work, so should availability (not purely price, WOTC doesn't care if moats cost 1200$ each) ever become an issue, I am positive they have this plan ready to go.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That still doesn't work. Making "almost" reprints doesn't save the format, as it doesn't change the required base of cards have an extremely limited (and shrinking) base of cards. Tarbernacle-lite will always be inferior to just Tabernacle, so anyone wanting to play Lands even remotely seriously will need an original Tabernacle, which there are what, maybe 50 liquid copies of left? 100? How many will there be in 2 years, or 5, given natural attrition of already 25 year old cardboard?

It's unsustainable and will either die, see the reserve list die, or the entire scene will be completely overrun by counterfits to the point that no one will have any confidence left in any of it.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That still doesn't work. Making "almost" reprints doesn't save the format, as it doesn't change the required base of cards have an extremely limited (and shrinking) base of cards. Tarbernacle-lite will always be inferior to just Tabernacle, so anyone wanting to play Lands even remotely seriously will need an original Tabernacle, which there are what, maybe 50 liquid copies of left? 100? How many will there be in 2 years, or 5, given natural attrition of already 25 year old cardboard?

It's unsustainable and will either die, see the reserve list die, or the entire scene will be completely overrun by counterfits to the point that no one will have any confidence left in any of it.
Natural attrition of 600$ cards is really low man. My tabernacles look fine as heck
smile.png

You say its unsustainable, I say vintage prices are 6x what legacy is, and that is still being played and collected. Why would anyone counterfeit tabernacles, I mean if any party could print perfect counterfeits, tabernacle is kind of a cheap card to go for, right?

So why would legacy die again? Because its not accessible to a wide audience? Neither are luxury cars, and those keep rising in price on the secondary market also.

The gap between poor - rich is growing globally, this is a trend which is perfect for eternal formats.

ps. I've considered starting a printing business to make counterfeit cards, however I am aware that there are people with a lot more resources and they still fail.

It might not be as easy as it seems, right.

Far easier to speculate on buy-outs
smile.png