MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
My GenCon pickups for this year. Bit less impressive than 2015, but it'll do. Maybe by next year I can start black bordering power.

wtf is wrong with my image embeds.

tfBSG3r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've had nothing but trouble with trying to link offsite, so I gave up with images until I figure out wtf I'm doing wrong.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So img embeds once you figure it out is easy.

If you have a URL ending with a file name like .jpg etc you can just hit the button that looks like a picture. If you have an album URL you hit the button next to it for media.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Nice stuff dude, it's crazy to see how dark the old Basalt Monoliths were pre revised. Are those alpha or beta?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Nice stuff dude, it's crazy to see how dark the old Basalt Monoliths were pre revised. Are those alpha or beta?

It's all beta except the Taigas. SCG had their played and old school stuff for roughly half what every other vendor at GenCon wanted, so I kept raiding it. I paid something like $12 each for those Power Artifacts, $30 for Moons, $8 for Control Magic, $3 for basic lands. Also bought sets of REB and BEB that I didn't bother to snap a shot of.

OH, and I totally forgot to include a beta Braingeyser I picked up last minute. They wanted $80 (it's pushing $150-200 on eBay), and I got it for $65 after shooting the shit with the vendor about old school decks for a while. I love SCG. Great business, great bunch of guys.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
is it bad my idea of old school was R/B atogs, ergh raiders, nether shadows, and liek unholy str, bloodlust, small cheap stuff??

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Probably depends on how much money you spend/spent on the game. I had a couple of mox jets from Alpha and some other power 9, but I actually played with the cards from day one vs. putting them into sleeves for selling later. I was 13 though, and had adult me known about relative value I would have never touched those. Eventually everyone was hiding their valued cards or they were only brought out for tournaments, so all you would see at normal magic gatherings would be the cheap stuff.

Or all the guys running "Type 2" tier decks wouldn't play with the guy who ran power 9 Type 1 style stuff in every deck.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My wife and daughter are into this shit. I've played them a few times using their decks and generally whip their asses. The only one to beat me was my daughter. Once when I was using a garbage deck, and another time when I was using her deck. The second time she knew what I had in my hand a couple times, so if I play her again it won't be with one of her own decks.

Anyway, I'm still resisting making my own deck. Even though I seem to be a natural, I just don't wanna get that into it. What do you guys recommend in the way of pre-made decks? My daughter had a store bought commander deck that I used once and I kinda liked it, so I might just buy myself a commander deck. But then I found out there's multiple versions. I think hers was black and white, and she's torn it apart to use in her other decks now.

Oh and also I've decided to go off the rails and I'm getting some unhinged cards to throw in. Cause fuck it, I'm not playing in a tournament. Mainly I wanted cheatyface but when I was looking for him I saw a lot of unhinged shit that looked good. So in that vein, are there any overpowered cards I could look for? Things that are banned from competitions for being overpowered would be nice.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
EDH is a whole other beast. It plays unlike any other format. You can actually use several absurdly powerful (and often very expensive) cards in EDH that aren't legal anywhere else besides Vintage. A cheap example is Yawgmoth's Will, arguably the most broken spell in the game and certainly in the top 3. A very expensive example is Mishra's Workshop, one of the strongest lands ever printed when built around properly. Owning one will set you back about as much as a non-blue Mox. These are effects that tend to be subdued a bit because of the 100 card singleton nature of EDH. It's just harder to set up consistently.

If you're just playing super casually with family, buy a cycle of 5 EDH decks and let people pick and choose which to play to mix it up. The precon Commander products are usually quite good, whereas other precons are awful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The best part of EDH is watching someone cast Yawgmoth's Will... to play a bunch of random Zombies from their graveyard.

Using Broken Shit To Do Durdly Shit is like, the hallmark of EDH. It's a format where Channel was legal with 40 starting life all the way up until Emrakul got printed.

Also, the only place you'll run into someone casting Shaman's Trance+Yawgmoth's Will with non-infinite 40 mana floating.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yawg Will in EDH is only slightly stronger than Past in Flames, whereas in vintage it is play a land, make 3 mana, draw 7, win.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
EDH for my crew is all about stunts. We don't really have anyone who plays combo kills, its more an excuse to goof and drink beers. I just added Splendid Reclamation to my Meren. Dream is to use a combination of dredge, Gitrog and other effects to fill the yard then put about 15+ lands into play.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yep :) Having a great time playing Odric, Lunarch Marshal trying to unlock the "All 13 Keywords" pulsed "achievement."

Only pulled it off once so far, and that was due to someone pity slow-rolling his Austere Command, so it doesn't really count.

Problem is Odric is too threatening with only 3-4 of the traits on-line, doesn't give you time to find shitters like Reach and Menace because people have to disrupt you well before that point. For some reason people don't trust your good intentions when your entire team is Double Strike+Death Touch+Trample+Lifelink.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are there ways to give any of the old school abilities? Must be bonus points if you throw on shadow, flanking, banding etc.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Concerted Effort lets you go for the hat trick of flying, fear, first strike, double strike, landwalk, protection, trample, and vigilance. It's nice as a back-up Odric for your most important keywords, while also coincidentally making some of your Trait Sticks (Baneslayer, Mirran Crusader et al) also share their Protection. Actually won a game due to Protection (Dragons) once.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I tend to build EDH just to sleeve up shit I can't regularly play. I get a kick out of watching new players try to figure out what the hell Chains of Mephistopheles says.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I just made a goblin EDH deck with Krenko as my commander. It feels nice after using Xiahou Dun mono black Stax for so long. I need to put these on tappedout so I can share them around.

For some reason lately I've been interested in buying random misprints, promo's, foreign foils, and signed cards. It feels cool to buy like 30 alternate art or foil promos and have it come out to $25-$50.

t26Wvn1.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I tend to build EDH just to sleeve up shit I can't regularly play. I get a kick out of watching new players try to figure out what the hell Chains of Mephistopheles says.

Chains is my most tutored card with Zur where I play. So much stupid infinite draw and combo garbage floating around. Hiding behind solitary confinement + chains + necropotence is just like my favorite thing ever right now.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
If you want to watch someone's brain melt, ask them to correctly resolve an upkeep Brainstorm with a Chains of Mephistopheles, followed by a draw step with a Sylvan Library.