MTG thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I had no idea WTF you guys were talking about. I didn't even know the commander decks were actually called EDH.

When I used the commander deck against a normal deck it worked pretty well. It made mana quickly so I could get those expensive cards played.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I had no idea WTF you guys were talking about. I didn't even know the commander decks were actually called EDH.

When I used the commander deck against a normal deck it worked pretty well. It made mana quickly so I could get those expensive cards played.

EDH is the old name. Once upon a time, it was an unofficial format called Elder Dragon Highlander that some judges made up, and the only generals were the 5 Elder Dragon Legends from back in the Legends set. It caught on, and was rebranded as Commander when it began allowing other legends as generals. It's generally a multi-player format in pods of 4.

Other constructed formats have very different rules, and allow more than 1 copy of a given card (4 of anything other than a basic land, which has no limit). That's universal to all constructed formats; the differences lie in what cards are included in the pool. Standard is the last 2 years, give or take, of new releases. Modern goes back to when the card frame changed, so everything after Masques block. Legacy is everything ever printed, and Vintage is everything ever printed plus some cards banned in Legacy allowed as 1-ofs. All formats have a banned list of cards, and Vintage also has a restricted list of cards you can only play 1 of.

If you're just getting into it, visit a hobby shop for an FNM and look at doing some drafts. Maybe borrow a Standard deck so you can get a feel for the difference.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I'm trying to find a foil Krenko, Mob Boss signed by Kopinski but having no luck, about to just try to mail one to the artist myself.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I might have a problem. I looked up a bunch of unglued and unhinged cards yesterday. They were cheap so I bought a lot that looked fun. When I got done, I had like 50 cards. If they weren't all different colors, i could probably make a deck with what I just bought.

I still don't plan to get into deck building. That shit would take up too much of my time.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
mtgtop8.com is your best friend for constructed decks. Mtggoldfish.com is pretty good too. For Commander, EDHrec.com lets you search for a card, and then see lists that share similar cards etc.

Deck building is a whole other skill from playing. I rarely build anything original. I just find something close to what I might like to play, and then tweak it to fit my personal style. Most established archetypes only have 2 to 4 cards of flex in them anyway.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
New walker Kaya is a pretty cool design. My crew just ordered two boxes of Conspiracy to run an end of the summer draft party.

Some new version of Daretti art on the packaging too.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
New Daretti would be pretty ballin. Kaya seems fine. It's not obviously pushed for eternal like Dack, but that's alright. They can't all be winners.

Kaya would be great for modern, but for a legacy/vintage only walker, she's probably too slow. At 3cmc and 4 starting loyalty, I think she would have been very powerful in a maverick / deadguy / humans shell.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
What cards or effects should I search for to generate mana faster? I think expedition is one of them, but that's the only one I can think of.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
You mean Exploration? Honestly, it's not an easily answered question. Certain colors can ramp and others can't, depending on the format.

The better question to ask is, "am I doing something with my available mana every turn?" If not, you need a very good reason why.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Format is completely open since it's just friends and I'm wanting to use unhinged and unglued cards. The color choices are undecided too. All I know is these fun cards are expensive so I need to get some mana out quickly. I think expedition was the effect I saw before (search your library for mana), but I looked up exploration that looks like a winner too (play 2 mana per turn).

I've also seen some lands that tap for more than 1 mana. Things like that. I just need names I can search for.

Oh and as for the question you posed, some of the cards I'm looking at have variables in the mana cost where they get more powerful if you can spend more mana.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I hope you guys don't mind the noob questions. I'd be afraid to go to another MTG forum and ask this shit. Anyway, here's another one. Take a look at this card. Aren't lands considered a card in play that you control? If so, how can you ever trigger this condition? You need at least 6 lands to even play the card.

The-Cheese-Stands-Alone.jpg

Sterling

El Presidente
Yes, lands in play are cards you control. You'd have to find a way to destroy or exile all of your lands. Something like Armageddon or Jokulhaups would be examples. In fact Jokulhaups can likely put you in position to trigger it all by itself assuming it's the last card in your hand when you cast it. Also as a thing, Unglued/Unhinged cards aside from the basic lands are not tournament legal and so most people don't use them. You're just playing casually so you can do what you want obviously, but assuming everyone else is casual, I'm not sure how many times you can Cheese into Haups and keep everyone interested.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah cheese looked pretty lame. I wasn't all that interested in it. That Q was more curiosity. I got into unhinged for cheatyface, The knight of the hokey pokey and chaos confetti hooked me.

This one looks ridiculously fun too.

big_furry_monster2.jpg

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The latest set actually has "real" meld cards that work similarly.

Play what you have fun with, but if your intent is to learn the game then Un- cards are the LAST thing you want to bother with right now. The templating is very old, and they aren't "real" cards. There are some wonky old cards that see actual play (ahem, Sylvan Library), but you'll learn the game much faster sticking to draft or Standard.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hoss, colorless ramp:

Sol Ring
Worn Powerstone
Mana Vault
Basalt Monolith
Thran Dynamo
Pristine Talisman
Commander's Sphere
Darksteel Ingot

I think most of those have been printed in Commander products. There's still a ton more.

If you want colored ramp spells, you'd be looking at green spells.

• 1Like

rad

Lord of Guk
Anyone offloading staples? Been in a buying mood lately, picked up 16 duals in the last week.

• 1Like

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I have a shitload of older stuff and just no time to offload it. Wish I could get a shop to give me a better deal for it all, most are only giving 25-30%, I get that you have costs, but I want more.

Been selling bits here and there for full retail, which is nice, but looking at the wall of cards and boxes means a lot of work.