MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Japanese vendors are the best. I love dealing with them. They don't have a MKM-style basket of vendors like Europe, so the value of things is all over the map. Plus, english cards actually carry a bit of a premium, especially modern staples. About half of my power and a couple of my FBBs came from bartering with japanese vendors who are willing to give much better value on reprintable cards because of the arbitrage they can gain by selling english cards back at home.

The bulk of my really expensive stuff I just wait until I've accrued enough credit with vendors to buy outright, or spend a small percentage of the asking price. It's especially true of any judge reward I get. I funnel those straight to local vendors and pick up anything reserved in the case. I don't really even care what it is most of the time, provided that it's semi-playable. I'd much rather have a Candle, Chains, or Nether Void than a shitty foil Mana Drain.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Well, the legality is based on the "non-counterfeitable" new card-face+Rarity Hologram,

heh.. ok, I guess I understand the logic, but it is sort of self-defeating. If that format were to ever get popular enough, then the counterfeiters would work on counterfeiting that card face. There is nothing about the new frame that makes it uncounterfeitable, just a little annoying for the hologram. Annoying enough that they aren't bothering right now, because there isn't enough money in any of the specific cards printed since that frame was introduced. But, if this frontier format were to ever take off, then there would be.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, it's a dumb cash grab trying to move product. Just like the rest of these formats that pop up for 6 months each year that are always sponsored by some store.

Chris

Potato del Grande
New set looks like shit. I wanted esper/alara 2 and got an artifact version of theros but worse.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't say Theros. It seems like a pretty good set from a playability perspective, and there are some eternal implications to a few cards. Paradoxical Outcome, for instance.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
New 3-6month redemption window for MTGO is AIDs.

Does Hex get to sue MTGO for adding treasure chests? :)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They should make it a minimum of 6 months, but I actually think the redemption window is a positive thing for MTGO.

Physical vendors will more aggressively redeem sets, keeping the price of singles on MTGO higher, which will keep pack prices more stable, drafts a better value proposition, etc.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
New set looks like shit. I wanted esper/alara 2 and got an artifact version of theros but worse.
New set is actually great. Best sealed format in forever, almost certainly a great draft format. The packs are very deep; 10-12 limited playables per pack.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They should make it a minimum of 6 months, but I actually think the redemption window is a positive thing for MTGO.

Physical vendors will more aggressively redeem sets, keeping the price of singles on MTGO higher, which will keep pack prices more stable, drafts a better value proposition, etc.

Hey, I like slumming around with my .01 ticket Harmless Offerings. Prices can't go low enough I say!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really like this limited. The Renegade Freighter destroyed so many lives last weekend.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's probably the best common vehicle, though the fact that it can't be crewed by a single 1/1 token makes it not amazing in all decks.

Smuggler's Copter is just insane. Practically Jitte quality in limited.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea copter was just destroying people all pre-release weekend. That card is bonkers.

Redemption changes are fine by me as they come with cheaper kaladesh drafts, which is all I really care about.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Luckily Copter is a standard rare in a set with chase cards, so there's a pretty high chance it just ends up Siege Rhino 2.0. $3-4 bucks for most of its standard run once people crack enough packs. The price right now is dumb.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not sure how good it is in constructed, probably pretty good with cards like Thraben Inspector around, but it is one of the best first picks in the set for limited and almost certainly the best rare, with Chandra, Angel of Invention, Nissa and the green Gearhulk being the only mythics I'd really consider over it.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Copter is currently the most expensive rare in the set, and more than every non-walker mythic other than the green gearhulk. It's getting a ton of attention from damn near every magic writer or semi-pro at the moment. I dunno if it's THAT good, but it seems like it might have some staying power.

Part of me wants to jam it in a list with Welder, Workshop, and a bunch of nonsense to cycle from the graveyard.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I think there's a r/b madness deck to be made with it using the new artifact ichorid guy and some of the madness vampires, but I don't really want to throw 40$ at copters quite yet.

Think key to the city will have to do for now.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
ok so seriously what's the best way to sell a bunch of cards when you live in a small town next to the middle of nowhere?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
ok so seriously what's the best way to sell a bunch of cards when you live in a small town next to the middle of nowhere?

I've sold on eBay many times and it's gone fine. If you go that route I'd recommend sticking to domestic shipping only. Canada is fine, Japan is fine, and some of Europe is fine. Italy and Mexico are just asking to get fucked.